Semi-Stripped Allen Head- Mtbr.com
    N* Bomber Crew

Semi-Stripped Allen Head

I was adjusting my brake lever a few minutes ago (Hayes HFX9) and the allen head to the bolt got nearly totally stripped. I think with some assistance I can back it out.

My question is, should I back it out, and pop in a replacement allen for a Hayes HFX9 (I have no idea where I can find a specific part like that) or should I leave it. I have the levers set at where I want, and they are really tight, I am just angry at myself that they got sorta stripped.

Any suggestions? Or is there a place I can buy a screw like this?
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Leave them in for now. Remove the other side being more careful and take that to the hardwear store and find one that will fit. Then when you need to remove the other side later just replace it being more careful. I hate over tightening myself, and think --------"Stupid!!!!!! Why did I turn it just that little bit more?" If your wanting to get the specific part then try your LBS first in very specific terms.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I was adjusting my brake lever a few minutes ago (Hayes HFX9) and the allen head to the bolt got nearly totally stripped. I think with some assistance I can back it out.

My question is, should I back it out, and pop in a replacement allen for a Hayes HFX9 (I have no idea where I can find a specific part like that) or should I leave it. I have the levers set at where I want, and they are really tight, I am just angry at myself that they got sorta stripped.

Any suggestions? Or is there a place I can buy a screw like this?
    I find that OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) has a good selection of metric allen head bolts. I found the exact size for my XT cranks and got 2 for about $1.50 when Shimano wanted about $5 for one.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    I find that OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) has a good selection of metric allen head bolts. I found the exact size for my XT cranks and got 2 for about $1.50 when Shimano wanted about $5 for one.
    Cool I'll shop around for those. I got my specific part from Hayes, so I'll give em a call tommorow and see whats going on over there.

Well, I'm not gonna mess with it. I'm gonna get get spares. I LUCKILY set my levers to the right angle I want, otherwise I'd get really mad at myself. I hate doing that, I've done this to other stuff too. Well, I'll get spares in case I need to swap em out, or if I want to put em in. (I got a tool for stripped heads.)

Is there a stronger metal I could get for these bolts too?

mtbr member
    Get some new hex keys while you're at it. They get worn out too. You can "sharpen" them by grinding the last 1/8 inch off them being careful not to overheat the metal.

Also you don't need much torque on lever clamps. They should hold tight but be able to move in a crash so the lever doesn't break or bend.

Mike

N* Bomber Crew
    Turns out I didn't strip the allen head. It just needed a slightley different allen key to go with it. So it all worked out thankfully. I went down to the bike store to get some stuff for the new rig, and they told me about the strange key. Thankfully I got on in the tool case.

Phew.