mtbr member

Replacement frame...

I am getting a new frame from GF since I cracked mine. The LBS informed me that I would have to run new cables on the new frame. My question is - What tools would I need to rebuild my bike with the new frame. I am torn between having the LBS do it and learning to do it myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    At the least, you will need:

A set of metric Allen wrenches
    BB tool for your type of BB
    Something to cut the cable and housing - cable cutter or dremel, etc.
    Tape measure
    Grease for threads, etc.

Have your lbs swap the headset cups for you.

If it is a FS bike, you may need a few metric wrenches or sockets.

A torque wrench with the appropriate sockets would be nice.

I'm sure I've missed a few things. Consider this as a minimum of tools you will need.

~Disc~Golf~
    you will also need some liquid courage
    may I recommend a Sierra Nevada?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Old man on a bike
    You might find going through the parktool.com repair help section or sheldonbrown.com and reading some of the articles on assembly/dissassembly to understand what tools and methods are normally used. There are some DIY tools you can do to keep your investment minimal, but you will need tools of various types, some specific to your gear. Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance is also a good book, will cover everything you need. There was a nice thread someone put up as a sticky at the top of this forum about building up a fs bike, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    The guy at the LBS told me that my warrenty on the new frame would be void if I re-built the bike on my own. Is he right?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NashVis
    The guy at the LBS told me that my warrenty on the new frame would be void if I re-built the bike on my own. Is he right?
    I've heard the same thing from some shop owners, they claim their contract requires that they build the bike on new ones. I haven't heard that on frame replacements but wouldn't be too suprised.

Old man on a bike
    The build your own bike thing may be in their warranty, I don't have a copy of one...what does it say? Maybe that goes with why Trek Corp doesn't sell frames alone...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NashVis
    I just skimmed the Gary Fisher Warranty. While it does say that the warranty does not cover improper assembly or improper follow-up maintenance, I see nothing (else) in the warranty that explicitly states that the warranty is void if you work on it yourself.

I had a shop tell me the same thing one time - that the warranty would be void if I rebuilt it myself. I let the shop do the rebuild, though in hindsight, I wish I would've done it myself, as I would've done a better job. For example... the mechanic was putting the Shimano external BB crankset on the replacement frame when I showed up at the shop. When I asked him what he had torqued the end cap to, he told me that he hadn't used a torque wrench. He had put the end cap on a lot tighter than it should've been. I had him redo it while I watched.

I did end up breaking that replacement frame a year and a half later. On that occasion, I dealt with the manufacturer directly. They had no problem with me doing the rebuild myself. I did take the frame to a nearby shop to have the BB shell and head tube faced though. (I don't own the necessary tools for doing these jobs.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get GF to cover the labor cost. It's not as good as new until assembled.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    Get GF to cover the labor cost. It's not as good as new until assembled.
    That is covered in the warranty Kevin linked, the warranty specifically doesn't cover labor charges for part replacement or changeover.

The warranty says "ALL GARY FISHER BIKES ARE SOLD EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH OUR NETWORK OF AUTHORIZED DEALERS WHO WE ENTRUST WITH PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY AND SERVICE OF YOUR BICYCLE" Seems if you work on your own bike you could void the warranty. Wonder if it could be challenged in court if you did assemble your own bike, but how would you get the frame alone without working with GF and their dealer? Would it be worth the challenge?
    suum quique

I'm just messing with you
    Sounds to me like a way for them to get out of replacing the replacement if it breaks
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member

The matter is solved...

Trek sent a whole new bike, no need to switch over my old components. Kind of a bummer cause I was looking forward to trying to build it myself.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    That is covered in the warranty Kevin linked, the warranty specifically doesn't cover labor charges for part replacement or changeover.

The warranty says "ALL GARY FISHER BIKES ARE SOLD EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH OUR NETWORK OF AUTHORIZED DEALERS WHO WE ENTRUST WITH PROFESSIONAL ASSEMBLY AND SERVICE OF YOUR BICYCLE" Seems if you work on your own bike you could void the warranty. Wonder if it could be challenged in court if you did assemble your own bike, but how would you get the frame alone without working with GF and their dealer? Would it be worth the challenge?
    I have problems entrusting my bike to the local Fisher/Trek dealer.
    Having seen them working on bikes and having redone about half what they have done on my bike I try not to take it to them if I can help it.

XC Ground Pounder
    Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I don't trust any of the three local shops. They're run by half-wits that seem to be proud of it (ie One mechanic told me, "Carbon fiber frames are cheap plastic!")

If you're going to end up re-doing the work they do anyway, skip the hassle and do it yourself.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

Members who have read this thread: 0