mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Removing sram xx1 crankset

So its time to replace my bottom bracket and can't seem to get the cranks off. Even with my body weight on the crank and a massive breaker bar it still won't budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise on the drive side (where it says the torque ratings and stuff) It's a second hand bike and I've only had it for less than a year. (I've been coming to belive the previous owner didn't even try to maintain the bike) am I doing something wrong or is the nut just siezed on? My BB is a pf30

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My first gen XX1 crankset was an 8mm on the non-drive side turned counter-clockwise to remove.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    My first gen XX1 crankset was an 8mm on the non-drive side turned counter-clockwise to remove.
    Yeah that's for the bb30 cranks, the pf30 cranks are 10mm drive side. It's kinda wierd

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    PF30 (unless it's changed) uses the 10mm counter-clockwise to remove the drive side crankarm.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...e_manual_0.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    yeah its not budging, even put an impact wrench on it and tore the Allen head from the socket (in the tool no damage to bike other than a piece of metal in my crank spindle)

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    spray some crc or penetrating oil, nd leave overnight, then have another go, unless you have it off already, or just take it to the shop

mtbr member
    I recently went through something similar. 2nd hand bike and I wanted to throw on some carbon cranks I already had. Even after soaking in PB blaster, it would not budge. Eventually destroyed the the self extractor.

Thankfully, it was a GXP BB. My last resort solution was to use the BB cup as an extractor, and it worked!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I recently went through something similar. 2nd hand bike and I wanted to throw on some carbon cranks I already had. Even after soaking in PB blaster, it would not budge. Eventually destroyed the the self extractor.

Thankfully, it was a GXP BB. My last resort solution was to use the BB cup as an extractor, and it worked!
    Haha, hope it doesn't come down to that, plus i've got a pressfit so that definitely wont work

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackthelad View Post
    spray some crc or penetrating oil, nd leave overnight, then have another go, unless you have it off already, or just take it to the shop
    Yeah Ill try that, been too lazy to take it to a shop, probably should.