Ream & Face the Head Tube...HELP?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ream & Face the Head Tube...HELP?

OK, getting ready to install my first headset and I want to make sure I do it good & proper like. What do I use to ream & face the head tube? I know the easy solution would be to take it to my lbs, but last time I had them install a headset, the cracked the headtube, so I think I will give it a go. If it matters: frame is an ells moment and headset is a CK. I have a press and adapters and I think I will have that down, but its the reaming & facing part I'm a bit worried about.

FB

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    a reaming tool is the only thing that will do it right. i think there like $750, so its not something your likely to have on hand.

mtbr member
    What ssissy said. I have just about every bike tool there is but I can't justify owning a set of reamer/facer tools. I have a LBS that I trust to do that so I suggest you try another (if possible) lacking that I've had success just pressing them in anyway.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was just browsing the Chris King website and saw the reaming and facing took they make. I was thinking to myself, "hmm looks like a nice tool, I wonder how much?"

$750? Wow, just a bit too much for my humble tool box. I know my lbs (the only one in my town) doesn't have one (since they obviously didn't use it on my last frame). Not sure what to do at this point. I'd hate to screw this up...

FB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wow

What is your local bike store???? Toys R Us? Walmart, Target, i can't believe that if it is a true bike shop that they don't have a set of reaming and facing tools, but if you have to buy your own, don't go for the CK, its alot of flash for a simple tool, its just like everything else they make, EXPENSIVE, and not always nessessary, the shop i work at uses a non name brand facing tool because our boss is a cheap skate, and as long as you use plenty of cutting oil it should stay just as sharp as any other facing tool.

Oh and i was just wondering what frame they cracked this headtube on, i've never heard of it happening durring installation of a headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtdp
    What is your local bike store???? Toys R Us? Walmart, Target, i can't believe that if it is a true bike shop that they don't have a set of reaming and facing tools, but if you have to buy your own, don't go for the CK, its alot of flash for a simple tool, its just like everything else they make, EXPENSIVE, and not always nessessary, the shop i work at uses a non name brand facing tool because our boss is a cheap skate, and as long as you use plenty of cutting oil it should stay just as sharp as any other facing tool.

Oh and i was just wondering what frame they cracked this headtube on, i've never heard of it happening durring installation of a headset.
    Haha! The frame was a SC Chameleon. Where are reaming and facing tools available? I still dont think I should be cutting anything from the frame myself. My luck I would completely munch the job and the cups would end up spinning in the tube, crooked as all get out!

FB

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    reaming and facing is pretty easy. even a bike shop employee can do it

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    Hey FatB, where you at in NM. I'm in Albq, and I'm such a tool freak that I've got both headset reamer/facer & bb tap/facer for my personal shop. Gimme a holler...

-Eric
    Last edited by supercorsa; 11-02-2004 at 11:51 AM. Reason: absurd pc filtering
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

Quote Originally Posted by supercorsa
    I've got both headset reamer/facer & bb tap/facer for my personal shop.
    Dude, seriously, you rule.

When cycling becomes a lifestyle instead of a hobby, owning tools like that do not need to be justified to anyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by supercorsa
    Hey FatB, where you at in NM. I'm in Albq, and I'm such a tool freak that I've got both headset reamer/facer & bb tap/facer for my personal shop. Gimme a holler...

-Eric
    Super, Thanks for the offer man, you rule! I am still waiting on some parts to come in before I do anything. I will definately give you a shout when the time comes! Thanks again!

FB

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    You got it, bro. Tools are meant to be used. Gimme a yell when you're ready and we'll get you hooked up.

-Eric
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr