Problems with shifting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Problems with shifting

For some reason my bike won't shift into a higher gear unless I keep shifting up and even then it won't shift up until I shifted all the way up to the highest gear. I have no problem shifting down. Can anyone offer help? Are there are online guide on how to adjust your front and rear dereailler?

Thanks

Old man on a bike

Besides this belonging in the drivetrain forum

clarify by what you mean by shifting up into a higher gear. You can't get the chain on the smallest cog in the rear or the largest? Your description seems to say you keep moving your shift lever to one extreme of it's range and only then does the chain actually go there, but not in between? Besides trying to guess what you mean, I'd think you need to either adjust your derailleur cable or clean your cable/housings (or possibly replace one or both). Check out the parktool.com or sheldonbrown.com sites for help on details of workings/adjustments...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGT101
    For some reason my bike won't shift into a higher gear unless I keep shifting up and even then it won't shift up until I shifted all the way up to the highest gear. I have no problem shifting down. Can anyone offer help? Are there are online guide on how to adjust your front and rear dereailler?
    It sounds to me like there's a problem with either the cable or the housing; something's preventing the derailleur from freely pulling the cable when you shift into a higher gear. It could be that the housing is simply dirty (gummed up inside), or it could be due to a frayed cable, or even a kink or unusually sharp bend in the housing. If it's been a while since the cable and housing has been replaced, the easiest place to start is to replace both. If the cable and housing are fairly new, then check the cable routing to make sure there are no kinks or sharp bends. Also check the locations where the cable enters and leaves the housing to make sure the cable isn't frayed.

Two of the online guides that I frequently use are:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGT101

Thanks
    If you are having problems with your rear derailleur a common step to forget is to check the alignment of your derailleur hanger. If it is too far off center no amount of adjusting the hi/lo screws will make it shift right.

dan