mtbr member
    Nov 2018

We the people ... Play in front fork

Hi all,

I just recently got a cheap new Suntour XCR to replace my jammed Decathlon stock fork. The installation process was smooth and everything seemed to fit well together.

However, I have noticed that the fork does rock forwards and backwards a little bit even when the top cap is torqued down quite a lot. The only way I could eliminate this play was to tighten the stem cap really tightly to the point when turning is limited.

A couple things I want to add:
    1. The fork came with a standard straight tube crown race and that was used. The old crown race on my old fork was jammed too tight on the steerer, so I just opted to go for the new crown race as it seemed to be the same and seemed to work.
    2. When I tightened the cap bolt really tightly, I noticed that turning left required considerably more effort than turning right.

Also, I sure I did all the installation processes correct and the tighten-cap-bolt-first-then-stem stuff.

It would be great if anyone could give some pointers. I know right now I could completely opt for getting a new headset, but that is so more work

Thanks!

Magically Delicious
    Your post might might be more appropriate in this thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/

You mention tightening the top cap several times, but didn't mention anything about stem bolts or your order of loosening or tightening.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Never trust a fart
    Tighten the top cap to take out the headset play but not too tight where it is difficult to turn the bars. You may have to install another spacer under to top cap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like maybe the new crown race uses different angles for the bearings than your old one from the descriptions you provided, suggest you take a look at the old next to the new and see if you can't see a difference in the angles. If this is the case, then all you'll need is new bearings with the correct angles - bearings are usually either 45/45 or 45/60.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When you go apeshit on stem cap bolt it restricts the movement of the bars. The standard test is to to turn the bars and see if they come back freely.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hi LyNx

I see. I took the new crown race off and compared it to my old one, but both of them looked pretty similar.

Also, is the 45/45 and 60/60 one for cartridge and one for ball bearings? Mine are cartridges.

Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    The 45/45, 45/60 refers to the inner and outer chamfer in the edges of the bearing, if you try to mate say a 45 degree chamfer to a 60 degree chamfer, they're not going to mate properly and will produce play, the only way to stop that would be to tighten them down onto each other so tight they would not move.

The reason I thought this is because you said that if you tightened everything down super tight, so that it restricted the bar turning, the play was gone, which is not what would happen if it was play in the actual fork.
    Basically you want to tighten the top cap down just enough so it allows the wheel to turn freely along with the bar without the bar moving off axis, without having the stem bolts tightened down. If you need to tighten them down more than that, something else is usually up.

Try putting the bearing on the removed crown race on a table and see if it sits on there easily and turns smoothly or if it wants to rock unless you put excessive pressure on it to stabilize it.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAshitaka View Post
    Hi LyNx

I see. I took the new crown race off and compared it to my old one, but both of them looked pretty similar.

Also, is the 45/45 and 60/60 one for cartridge and one for ball bearings? Mine are cartridges.

Thanks for the reply!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??