mtbr member

pf41 bearing shell width issue

After replacing the drive-side Race Face BB with a Hope BB, I noticed bearing doesn't fit flush against the frame. I compared the width Race Face with the Hope and see that the Hope is about 1mm wider. Is there a remedy? Or are there standards for widths for these parts? Def prefer not to go back to using the Race Face if possible. Thanks!
    pf41 bearing shell width issue-img-2247.jpgpf41 bearing shell width issue-img-2248.jpg

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Do you have any spacers installed on the drive side?

since 4/10/2009
    Doesn't look fully pressed in, for one. There are "standards, but a 30mm spindle in a pf41 shell violates many of them, so don't expect bbs to be identical.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    For one, it won't go in any farther. No spacer. The Race Face is 6-7mm; the Hope is 10mm. Clearly I should have measured BEFORE I installed it, but no big deal. Sorry, I've been reading about this stuff and trying to make sense of it for a while. I've not seen anything about widths of the bearing shells, just outside diameter and what size spindles they handle. There's the plastic insert inside the frame. The bearing is hitting that. I'd like that not to be there.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    For one, it won't go in any farther. No spacer. The Race Face is 6-7mm; the Hope is 10mm. Clearly I should have measured BEFORE I installed it, but no big deal. Sorry, I've been reading about this stuff and trying to make sense of it for a while. I've not seen anything about widths of the bearing shells, just outside diameter and what size spindles they handle. There's the plastic insert inside the frame. The bearing is hitting that. I'd like that not to be there.
    Ah. The Hope bb (and the enduro one that I have - they are the same) do not use the plastic sleeve.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That would be great. I couldn't be certain if that was part of the frame or part of the bottom bracket. Seems a tight fit. How do I get it out? BTW, Harold, I learned a lot over the past couple weeks reading your threads about the Hope/Enduro.

mtbr member
    Idiot eureka moment. The sleeve has a lip on the non-drive side, so you can't push it out from that side. But it pushed out from the drive side with just my fingers.

Thanks, all. I should be good now!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    Idiot eureka moment. The sleeve has a lip on the non-drive side, so you can't push it out from that side. But it pushed out from the drive side with just my fingers.

Thanks, all. I should be good now!
    good to hear!