Class Clown

Park SW-20.2 Spoke Wrench

Park Tool Master Mechanic Spoke Wrench

I have the regular park spoke wrenches and decided to try out the "master" wrench. Tried it on some DT Swiss and Sapim black brass and it was such a tight fit, too much.

These nips use the park black SW0; 0.127" (3.23mm). The SW20.2 claims to be the same size.

Maybe I just got a bad one? I went ahead and ordered a Spokey wrench to give that a go.

mtbr member
    I like the spokey wrenches better then the park.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Dundundada, this is a tough game that spoke wrench manufacturers have to play. We at Park Tool Company make the most precise spoke wrenches available, bar none. Unfortunatly or fortunatly we do not have control over the nipple tolerances. As we make spoke wrenches we aslo measure nipple tolerances. Those nipple tolerances change a great deal. Long story short if you feel your wrench is undersized shoot us an email at info@parktool.com or give us a call. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sapims seem tighter than DT's, pretty consistently.

The 3 sided spoke wrenches are kinda terrible. Even for colored alloy nipples, I use 2 sided.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parktool View Post
    Dundundada, this is a tough game that spoke wrench manufacturers have to play. We at Park Tool Company make the most precise spoke wrenches available, bar none. Unfortunatly or fortunatly we do not have control over the nipple tolerances. As we make spoke wrenches we aslo measure nipple tolerances. Those nipple tolerances change a great deal. Long story short if you feel your wrench is undersized shoot us an email at info@parktool.com or give us a call. Thanks!

Just want you to know that I've built 100's of wheels with Park SW spoke wrenches and though I've also used many others the SW's are far and away my favorite due to the ergonomics and precision fit. I realize that 3-sided wrenches are technically better but even when building wheels to 150+ kgf I've had no issues whatsoever with the SW wrenches and the curved handle seems to fit the hand perfectly.

I hope that whatever other improvements you make you don't lose the great ergonomics of the old SW's.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    J.B. Weld, Thanks! We do go to great lengths to make these spoke wrenches last a lifetime and make them precise. Three sided or 4 sided makes for a difficult wrench as the nipples are not always perfectly square and many times have been distorted. Thanks again!

Class Clown
    The spokey wrench 3.25 fit nicely. As does the SW0. I can always exchange with amazon, thanks. I have contacted PT_CS before and they were very helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    I like the spokey wrenches better then the park.
    Yeah, Spokey rules. Love it to bits.