Thread: Park Clamp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Park Clamp

I recently picked up a park repair stand (PRS-1) off craigslist for $35...I was looking for a stand but didn't want to pay the high prices for the high-end Park or Feedback stands.

I actually like this a lot (especially for the price, but mostly for the clamp - it is a similar design to what you would see on the professional clamp's at the shops from park. It is not one of their 'home' stands that uses some type of screw to clamp the bike.

What I am thinking of doing is purchasing This Kit which is for the pro clamp to see if I can make it fit into mine. I want this because of the infinte setting on the tightness of the clamp via the barrel adjuster. My version relies on 3 settings and a spring to take up the difference.

Here is a parts diagram of the clamp the kit goes to and here is my clamp.

Hard to tell from the diagrams but do you think it will work? If I was park I would design the cheaper clamp (mine) to the same dimensions but just with the cheaper (non-barrel) parts - but without dimensions on the diagram it is hard to tell if the kit would fit???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just call park tools and ask

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know park is just going to say that it wont fit because their site says it wont fit. I think I could make it work, but it wouldn't be without some ingenuity.

Just wondering if anyone else has given it a try.

Old man on a bike
    Assume your thread reference is wrong, that you bought an old PCS-1 as per your clamp link? I've got an old PCS-1 somewhere out in the junk pile, wanted a better clamp for it a long time ago but didn't see that it could be converted (at least I couldn't figure it out). I'd think Park would be glad to tell you what your possibilities are, if any....

PS IMHO the PCS-1's shortcomings aren't really worth overcoming....their instability and no height adjustment are why mine's in the junk pile (I'd have given it to you).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    (I'd have given it to you).
    if you really want to get rid of it I will take it - just let me know if you are serious and we can go from there.

PS - Yeah park said that kit won't work

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith
    if you really want to get rid of it I will take it - just let me know if you are serious and we can go from there.

PS - Yeah park said that kit won't work
    All you need to do is coordinate a pickup time with me. My location's in my profile, not sure where you're coming from but if it's worth it to you it's yours....think it's missing one of the rubber pieces in the clamp jaws (I was using a piece of an old grip but think it fell off).
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    BikinFool - I just sent you a private message.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    bikinfool - fyi they do make an extension for it - however I suspect that will just add to the instability issue.

I think back when these were being produced they would either give you the extension or for a reduced cost. Now it is just standard on their home mechanic line of stands.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith
    bikinfool - fyi they do make an extension for it - however I suspect that will just add to the instability issue.

I think back when these were being produced they would either give you the extension or for a reduced cost. Now it is just standard on their home mechanic line of stands.
    Way beyond the need for it now, but don't remember an extension nor do I think it would work well, just not a great design. That stand was given to me by some roommates who were more mechanically inclined than myself (altho neither rode bicycles), what got me interested in working on my bikes. It was actually working on those bikes where the stand eventually just didn't cut it, wrong work height and just not very stable and not too portable.

Have never been quite able to take it to the actual junkyard, keep thinking somehow it could be of use again. So if anyone in the SF bay area wants it...I live near Skeggs, so not like it might be completely out of the way

These days I use a PRS-3 with the steel base at home and an Ultimate Pro to supplement it and to take on road trips.
    suum quique

Members who have read this thread: 0