OneUp EDC - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OneUp EDC

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its going to be very close. I just measuerd mine on bike, its about 32-33mm of flat section to approx center of max mounting bolt position. There is a curve where it melds into the clamp part. If your fram is super box sectionnlike you drew, it going to be super close. You could maybe run spacers and gain a little clearance. It does fit on my Yeti SB66C which has a pretty broad flat section of downtube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Its going to be very close. I just measuerd mine on bike, its about 32-33mm of flat section to approx center of max mounting bolt position. There is a curve where it melds into the clamp part.
    Cheers.

Sounds like it’s worth a punt…

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    What size is the tap that is used for tapping the steerer tube for this tool?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Its going to be very close. I just measuerd mine on bike, its about 32-33mm of flat section to approx center of max mounting bolt position.
    Fits! Probably 1mm to spare.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by puffmoike View Post
    I can't find any photos of the OneUp pump on a Trek...
    I have one mounted on my Trek Stache and it fits on both water bottle holes/cages. Not sure how that relates to your Fuel though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post
    Quick update on my EDC:

Love it, use it loads. Fantastically handy having the tool under the top can. Even when riding with a backpack it means my multitool is right next to my hands.

I have had one small problem. The tool started to jam getting it in and out of the top cap. Initially I thought it was dirty or the o rings had become dry. It became a big problem when it jammed in just as I needed to pack the bike into a bag for a flight which required taking the stem off. Had to lever it out with a screw driver.

Turned out the bolts holding the tool together had started to loosen so was easy to solve once identified (used my wife’s edc). I’ve just taken the bolts out of each end and added more loctite and reset the tension on the tool. Hopefully this will prevent the problem happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had to destroy mine in order to get it out. Good thing I was dealing with it in my workshop rather than in an emergency situation out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That’s a pain, sorry to hear that

Nipping up the bolts with some extra loctite has solved my little problem completely

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    They really need to have 2 plastic tabs for the plugs. The one tab is a total PITA.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    They really need to have 2 plastic tabs for the plugs. The one tab is a total PITA.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I've found that greasing the o-rings allows for easy removal with the single tab. But yes, they should have added a second one.
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member

OneUp EDC w/ Dynaplug

Based on some of the great ideas I saw on this thread I made up my own dynaplug to EDC hack. I purchased a Dynaplug® Megaplugger™ and removed the threaded portion from the plastic body. The picture of the product showed black anodized but mine came in a raw aluminum, no big deal. It came with the standard plug and the mega plug threaded sleeves as well.

Name:  megaplugger1.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  34.7 KB

I was hoping the threads would have matched for an easy plug/play but the threads were cut on the dynaplug parts as a M8x1.0 and the OneUp is 3/8-24. So I was trying to find a way to make it work by using a threaded sleeve or something but the sizing was to close and no way to have interior and exterior threads that close in size. I also didn't want to have the plug tool sitting out to far so using a external bushing of some sort didn't work for me as i still wanted to utilize the storage tube for the extra dynaplugs and other small items.

Ultimately I just epoxied in place but really if Dynaplug wanted to make a simple adapter to interface with the EDC they should just make these in the correct thread and done, I feel its a nice and clean install and still leaves plenty of room in the storage capsule for small items.

Also this fits inside the 70cc pump without the storage capsule, and I do like the additional plug cap so if the plug would slide out from the sleeve at all it will be contained inside the cap.

OneUp EDC-oneup-1.jpg
    OneUp EDC-oneup-2.jpg
    OneUp EDC-oneup-3.jpgOneUp EDC-oneup-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Random question I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me out with...I bought fork that has already been threaded for this tool, but I don't have one (and would prefer not to buy, at least for the time being). Is there any reason you can't go back to a normal top cap and star fangled nut once the tube has been threaded?

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    Random question I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me out with...I bought fork that has already been threaded for this tool, but I don't have one (and would prefer not to buy, at least for the time being). Is there any reason you can't go back to a normal top cap and star fangled nut once the tube has been threaded?
    I know users have put a star nut back in without issue, though I question whether or not you'll be able to use the threads again later, as the startnut may damage them. Maybe someone with specific insight can chime in or you can always shoot Oneup an email info@oneupcomponents.com.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I know users have put a star nut back in without issue, though I question whether or not you'll be able to use the threads again later, as the startnut may damage them. Maybe someone with specific insight can chime in or you can always shoot Oneup an email info@oneupcomponents.com.
    Thanks! Yea, I went ahead and tried it and seems to be fine. It doesn't go past the threads but the amount of torque the nut from the top cap screw is so small I can't imagine that the threading is going to cause any problems. It did take some metal shavings with it, so I doubt the threads are gonna be good for an EDC tool again, but I figured as much before I did it. Those EDCs are super cool but I already carry a tube, tool, lever, CO2, and plugs in a strap on my frame, so couldn't justify the $100.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone have any idea what the thread pitch is for the steerer tube tool? Really don't want to spend the. $

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The new edc stem doesnt require the steerer to be threaded. Its a good option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    The new edc stem doesnt require the steerer to be threaded. Its a good option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    From the pictures it looks like the stem prohibits spacers from being attached above the stem. So, if you like to tweak the position of the stem, you may be out of luck.
    Pivot Mach429

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by dduk View Post
    From the pictures it looks like the stem prohibits spacers from being attached above the stem. So, if you like to tweak the position of the stem, you may be out of luck.
    Incorrect, read the detailed instructions on their site https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...714.1550684684

You can install spacers, although they have to be the ones that come with the stem.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Incorrect, read the detailed instructions on their site https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...714.1550684684

You can install spacers, although they have to be the ones that come with the stem.
    Ah, nice!
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member
    I may have missed it, but does anyone know if the EDC stem is cnc'd or forged? I didn't see it listed anywhere. Assuming CNC'd....
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Has anyone tried to thread a 2019 Lyrik? I was about to do so last night and the compatibility measuring device (the other side of the star nut puller) is definitely not dropping into the stem like it has on all others that I've done. Also, by looking at the top cap, and doing a quick eyeball method over the steerer tube, it does not look like it fits. I find it hard to believe this fork would not be compatible, I have no idea what's up, and I don't really want to buy the $115 stem when i have the tap kit.

mtbr member
    Yes, I have done a few. The inside of your steerer was probably not filed smooth.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Okay, thanks! I thought that could be the issue, I'll file it down more and try. Good to know it fits!

collegiate race fanatic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooke21 View Post
    Anyone have any idea what the thread pitch is for the steerer tube tool? Really don't want to spend the. $
    I measured mine, 24 threads per inch. Looks to be 1" diameter, but most likely something custom to cut just the bare minimum of material out of a steer tube.

I really wouldn't recommend trying to thread a steer tube without their specific tap. The whole kit works really well and makes it impossible to tap too deep into the steer tube, which could be disastrous if you remove material from the area where the stem clamps. Plus, I just looked for 1-24 taps and couldn't find anything close to the $35 OneUp charges for the tap kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ended up buying the tool. It should be here tomorrow.

collegiate race fanatic
    Oct 2005
    I love my OneUp EDC so much I bought another one for my commuter bike a couple weeks ago. Last weekend I tried to use the quick-link breaker function on a friend's bike, and forgot how to do it. I watched the video today and tried it with the EDC on my commuter, and discovered that they changed the design to remove the quick-link breaker function. It's no longer listed as a feature on the website, although the overview video still lists it and shows the old design.

(original design on the left, new on the right)

I know they have a separate set of pliers that comes with the plug add-on, but I don't know why they would eliminate that feature from the main tool, even if it's a pain in the ass to use. Maybe they needed more material to support the 8mm Allen function when combined with the 5mm.

Trying to be helpful
    I think one of us is confused, I checked the video the extending nub is still there in your pic, the notch is missing which not sure what that was for the video doesnt show a need for it.

I have the same design as you and I've used mine without issue.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    Yes, I have done a few. The inside of your steerer was probably not filed smooth.
    Hey did you notice any tightness when you inserted the EDC around the capsule area with the new Lyrik? I got mine threaded but the tool surely did not drop right in there like it does on previous forks I have done. It was almost unusable but after playing with some spacers I got it to fit, but it sits up higher than I would like.

I saw that One Up says fork compatibility for the 2016+ Lyrik, "Storage capsule will fit, but CO2 cartridges may not." So I figured I would be fine, but that capsule does not go in easy either. Anyone threading a new Lyrik, you might want to be aware of this.

mtbr member
    I have had a 18 Lyrik and now a 19, the EDC tool and capsule fit with no issues. Weird.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I talked with one up at sea otter and have also worked with there warranty department and they rock. Overall great group of guys and gals. Still love my EDC and was impressed with the new droppers.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

collegiate race fanatic
    Oct 2005
    nope, the new one definitely can't open a quick link in the same manner as the old one. Here's a closer look at the old one:

There's a cutout made to interface with the dogbone shape of a quick link outer plate (please excuse the crude drawing):

The new tool design has nothing to hold the dogbone shape at the correct angle:
    Last edited by bcmanucd; 18 Hours Ago at 04:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12