mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Need help finding a left handed thread nut for my pedal

I have a set of Specialized Bennies flat pedals. While servicing them for the first time last weekend, I made a massive mistake. I was aware that the pedal to crank threads were different (non-drive side = left hand thread, drive side = right hand thread). I was not aware that the internal locknut that holds the pedals onto the pedal axles are also opposite threaded.

The non-drive side went off without a hitch since that locknut was right hand thread. The drive-side is where the issues began. The locknut on the drive side is left hand threaded. Without knowing this, I applied roughly the same force to remove the non-drive side assuming right hand thread. A quick turn later and all of the threads on the nut are sheared off. The axle threads are a little beat up but still look use-able.

I spent an hour after work yesterday stopping by two bike shops and three local hardware stores that are supposed to have "everything you'd ever need". Finding standard (imperial) left hand metric nuts were easy enough, but no one had left hand threaded metric nuts. My LBS called Specialized today and they do not make replacement parts or rebuild kits for these pedals.

What I know about the nut: 6mm thread diameter, 8mm external diameter (socket size), fine thread (assuming 1.0mm pitch), left hand thread. I've found a few M6-1.0 left hand thread nuts online but they are 10mm external diameters.

Magically Delicious
    Ha!

You just have to machine/grind/file 1mm off of each face on the nut.

Cheers!
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Plays with tools
    McMaster Carr should have them. Or call Specialized directly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Ha!

You just have to machine/grind/file 1mm off of each face on the nut.

Cheers!
    That isn't a bad idea. I might try this if I can't get anything else to work.

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    McMaster Carr should have them. Or call Specialized directly.
    I'm checking McMaster Carr now. Specialized told my LBS they don't sell any replacement parts for these pedals so I'm out of luck there I think.

Edit: It looks like McMaster Carr has what everyone else has: M6, 1.0mm pitch, 10mm width. I'll do some measurements when I get home to 100% confirm this will work but grinding down the edges of the nut should work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help finding a left handed thread nut for my pedal-capture.png  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I measured the threads on the axle last night and it looks like this is the nut I need (I emailed Specialized as well to see if I could get some measurements to confirm):

Thread Diameter: 6mm
    Thread pitch: 0.75mm
    Height: 5mm
    Width 8mm

Everything I'm finding online for 6mm thread diameter only comes in 1.0mm thread pitch. M6x0.75mm taps do exist, so I'm thinking of maybe buying a smaller nut and tapping it out with this: https://www.amazon.com/ZFE-M6x0-75mm.../dp/B00QWEEE9G

Plays with tools
    Do not try and change the threading on a nut, it will not leave you any better off than you are now.

If you're going to buy a tap, just make a new nut from scratch.