need help to choose chain lube- Mtbr.com
    Baby Bear is in the house

need help to choose chain lube

What chain lube would you guys recommend for dry conditions [tropics]?

So far, I've used a couple:

White Lightning - clean and smooth when newly applied but flaked off too quickly

Pedro's Ice Wax - not as smooth as the WL but lasts longer between applications.

I realize these are both wax-based so I don't have any experience with other types. How's the Pedro's Extra Dry? I like a "clean" lube that calls for minimum maintenance, i.e., doesn't require constant cleaning. [but I do clean my chain regularly, just don't want to do it so often]

My choices are limited here in the Philippines so several suggestions are ideal.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

lube

I was in a bike shop the other day and someone made the point that you did, about wanting a clean lube for dry conditions. The employee said he only uses a thicker lube that "sticks to your ribs" because he never wants to run the risk of the lube drying up and the drivetrain being damaged...interesting point. He believes this outways the need to clean the chain and crap that gets picked up in the lube.

I always thought the Philippines were humid...sorry I'm ignorant.

In terms of recommendations, I just bought Pro Link Gold and so far so good, but I suggest you read the reviews and find one that sounds right.

Who are the brain police?

My three suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    What chain lube would you guys recommend for dry conditions [tropics]?
    Everyone has a different opinion on this but here's my three..

*White Lghtening race day isn't bad if you clean regularly. Its more tenacious than the regular WL. *Another good one would be Rock n' Roll. You can order it from their website. *And my last suggestion would be ProLink.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Liquid X

I used Pedro's Extra Dry for years. It was clean but needed to be reapplied often. I just switched to the Liquid X. It is very clean and lasts much longer. It is a bit pricey but I am lazy so the costs out weigh the hassles of reappling all the time. I did my first muddy mtb ride last week and it seemed to work well.

Reviewer/Tester
    For a LOT of years I have been using a motorcycle spray-on chain lube on my push bike chains, and have never had a problem with them in any conditions.

I figure that if this stuff can stand up to the rigours of racing motorbikes, it can handle the stresses placed on pushbike chains.

It's called Bel-Ray Maximum Strength Chain Lube.

R.

Baby Bear is in the house

It is humid here...

Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    I was in a bike shop the other day and someone made the point that you did, about wanting a clean lube for dry conditions. The employee said he only uses a thicker lube that "sticks to your ribs" because he never wants to run the risk of the lube drying up and the drivetrain being damaged...interesting point. He believes this outways the need to clean the chain and crap that gets picked up in the lube.

I always thought the Philippines were humid...sorry I'm ignorant.

In terms of recommendations, I just bought Pro Link Gold and so far so good, but I suggest you read the reviews and find one that sounds right.
    but I'd still consider my riding as under "dry" conditions. We only have two seasons, wet and dry, and I don't usually ride during the wet/typhoon/flood season, which won't be in the next couple of months

I might have a tough time looking for a local distributor of ProLink but I'll try. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ProLink has my vote

One of the cleanest lubes I've used that doesn't need constant application. Just be careful, it's really easy to over apply.

Jan 2004

I've been using Dumonde Tech, which works quite well, but is...

...laborious to apply.

I want to try the Motorex stuff I've seen in Supergo, which I also just recently read was the top pick in a magazine review I read.

They described it as having the lasting power of Finish Line Century Lube, without attracting dirt nearly as bad.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    For a LOT of years I have been using a motorcycle spray-on chain lube on my push bike chains, and have never had a problem with them in any conditions.

I figure that if this stuff can stand up to the rigours of racing motorbikes, it can handle the stresses placed on pushbike chains.

It's called Bel-Ray Maximum Strength Chain Lube.

R.
    I've been using the Bel-Ray for the past year also. Seems to be very good. A little cheaper than the bike shop stuff also. You can get it at most any motorcycle shop.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Mar 2004

Rock N Roll Extreme

I`ve found Rock n Roll Extreme lube to be very good. Its easy to apply, lasts, does a good job of providing lubrication, and doesnt seem to attract dirt and dust.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Andy ; 05-09-2004 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Feb 2004
    I'd Have to agree with the vote for Rock & Roll extreme.Lube is a very tricky area! I have been a bike mechanic/rider for 14 years and still struggle to recommend paticular lubes for different needs.If you want durability,you'll usually need to clean more often.Whereas if you want dry/clean lube,you'll usually need to reapply more often!In regards to R&R ive rcently had very good feedback re their exstreme lube from a couple of regular customers(coditions in Tasmania,where im from,at the moment are very wet)about its lasting and cleanliness.Hope this helps some!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Prolink and RnR

I ride in Singapore and would also recommend Rock and Roll Extreme and Prolink. Prolink I bought locally, while for RnR, I bought loads (enough to last me 3 years) when I was in the US on a business trip. I called up the manufacturer and got him to fedex it to my hotel. He threw in a pair of socks, some cable magic, and a packet of roasted coffee gratis.

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    Try "Chain Lube" by Motorex. Seems to be doing quite good.

May 2004
    okay this will sound weird but it works. try using so motercycle lube on your chain. the lube might attracte some dirt when applied but give it a try it might work better down in the phillipnes than Massachusets

Reviewer/Tester

Oops!!

Just had to add another post to my first one.

Recently changed from the old motorcycle chain lube that I have been using for years to Rock & Roll.

Can't believe how good this stuff is..

Chucked the Bel-Ray lube in the bin and now use the R&R exclusively.

Amazing lube.

R.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Just had to add another post to my first one.

Recently changed from the old motorcycle chain lube that I have been using for years to Rock & Roll.

Can't believe how good this stuff is..

Chucked the Bel-Ray lube in the bin and now use the R&R exclusively.

Amazing lube.

R.
    WHat do you ride Rainman? I ride a WR250F dirtbike- converted pretty much to a YZ250F. A bunch of us just use WD-40 and never had any problems. In fact I still have the chain from 2 years ago! Maybe my conditions are different here in AZ but I buy the WD-40 by the bulk at Home Depot, a lot cheaper than that sticky crap! I used to use PJ1- Blue Label. I also use WD-40 on my mountainbike.

You can read my post in the dirtbike forum I posted last year here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...rue#Post714823
    Last edited by sonquizzon; 06-04-2004 at 10:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another vote for PRO LINK. I've been riding and wrenching bikes for 14 years and have used a lot of different lubes. Pro link is the only one that has really lubed the chain well and been clean in real riding conditions (lots of other lubes work fine for the road or an occasional trail ride). It's much cleaner and has better lubrication than any wax lube. Performance has good prices on it as well.

Reviewer/Tester
    [QUOTE WHat do you ride Rainman? I ride a WR250F dirtbike- converted pretty much to a YZ250F. A bunch of us just use WD-40 and never had any problems. In fact I still have the chain from 2 years ago! Maybe my conditions are different here in AZ but I buy the WD-40 by the bulk at Home Depot, a lot cheaper than that sticky crap! I used to use PJ1- Blue Label. I also use WD-40 on my mountainbike.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****

I used to race ...both dirt bikes and road racing, but have retired from the racing scene.

I now restrict my activities to mountain biking..

I recently changed over to Rock & Roll chain lube. It leaves everything else for dead, imo.

Great chain lube.

R.