Need help with broken bottom bracket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Need help with broken bottom bracket

I recently decided to rebuild my old Diamond Back. Everything went smoothly until I got to the bottom bracket. I worked with all of my might on the left side and ended up braking the plastic piece that held the tool. I know I was turning it in the proper direction and that I had the proper tool. I took it my local bike shop, and they told me that there was no way to take it out. They told me that I should take it to a machine shop and that they might be able to do something. Is this correct, or is there anything else that I can do? Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't know what brand BB you're talking about, but usually the plastic part prevents the BB from moving around in the shell, and doesn't actually hold it in there.

Here's what you can do: completely unscrew the other side of the BB. At that point you should be able to pull it out of the shell. Then it's a matter of patience/care in order to remove the plastic part, don't worry about destroying it but make sure you don't damage the threads in the BB shell.

Let us know how it goes.

Maurice

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

cup

You talking about the crappy plastic splined cup that shitmano foists upon the consuming public with some of its nonservicable throwaway cartridge bottom bracket pieces of garbage, right?
    Yea, like the man said, remove the cartridge from the other side. Then you can kinda peel away the plactic piece of crap with a tool, busting off a little bit at a time until you get the dastardly thing out of the BB shell. And don't ever buy another bottom bracket with bogus plastic cups. And be sure to email shitmano telling them they suck. Wayne Stetina there would love to hear from you. He's shitmano's version of emperor Bush, spouting off about how shitmano can do no wrong, blah blah blah. Tell him there ain't no WMDs, er, I mean, that plastic cups are a thoroughly stupid idea. He'l probably get all twitch and blinky like Bush, aka, Old Possumeyes, because when he gets all blinky and defensive, he looks a lot like a possum caught in the henhouse.