Measuring steerer tube length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Measuring steerer tube length

Have not been messing around with the threaded forks all these while and need some advice on how to measure what is the correct steerer length needed.

My headtube is 12.3cm, and I am using an old XT headset. What steerer tube length do I need as a minimum? Is there a maximum length as well?

Thanks! fishy

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by fishy
    Have not been messing around with the threaded forks all these while and need some advice on how to measure what is the correct steerer length needed.

My headtube is 12.3cm, and I am using an old XT headset. What steerer tube length do I need as a minimum? Is there a maximum length as well?

I think it's too risky to rely on measurements of headtube length and headset stack height for this critical job. I would assemble the fork and headset with the top threaded locknut left off. Then I'd measure the distance between the bottom of the locknut and the underside of the locknut lip and mark the threaded portion of the protruding fork steerer with this measurement.

The fork steerer must not butt up below this steerer nut lip and it must be long enough for sufficient threads for the nut.

Before I did this I would add a spacer to the steerer to allow for a bit of fudge factor.

Park Tool's site shows the "headset stack height" method.

mtbr member
    thanks mike.

i did a manual measurement (ie, stick a long fork inside), assembled the headset and started measuring. the headtube is 12.3cm, and i thought i needed a 14cm steerer. well, as it turns out, i need a 16cm.

did not find the headset stack method from park tool. was looking around to find out how to find the correct steerer length needed there before posting the question here, but i will try again. for information's sake.

thanks again,
    fishy