mtbr member
    Apr 2009

marred up BB cup removal?

Ok so i'm a meatfisted bonehead(we'll get that out of the now) . Ok so i was trying to remove the crankset on my old GT Karakoram. i couldn't find my crank arm puller and the cranks haven't been touched in like 13 years. I bought my newest bike in 2000. so i thought the cranks were seized on. With out the crank puller what am i to do. Well i decided to use a pickle fork and hammer to try and pry it off. so in doing so i really marred part of the BB cup and that part of the frame.It's like i almost fused those 2 parts together. Now i can't get it off with a BB tool. any suggestions on getting the cup off without destroying the threads inside the frame,so i can get a new bottom bracket on. let the name calling and hopefully suggetions commence. Thanks in advance.

Shawn

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Some photos might help people come up with a plan, can you take some close-up photos? Remember to use your camera's Macro feature so it can focus in close.

mtbr member
    Be sure you are turning the BB cup in the correct direction. If you can remove one cup and the axle then recommend securing the BB wrench to the other cup with a long bolt and some washers so you can really torque it without the wrench slipping off. If you do destroy the internal threads all is not lost. You can still use this threadless BB: http://www.velo-orange.com/grcruthbobr.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    hopefully this got uploaded. i had to try and resize it. if it uplaods hopefully you guys can make it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marred up BB cup removal?-p1030043.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok, see if you can remove the other side (which is backwards-threaded, and loosens clockwise, by the way). That'll relieve the backpressure on the side you photographed, so it'll take less grip to turn it.

As your next move after removing the other side, just try your tool again, working it into the slots if possible. If it won't go in, see if you can just file down a few of the tool's teeth so they don't need to fit the cup's damaged slots. With the cartridge removed, you may also be able to use a small file to clean up the marred notches on the cup a bit.

If that doesn't work out, a well-equipped bike shop would probably be able to get the damaged cup out with the tool I call the Doomsday Tool: http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...tem_id=EV-BBCR

Members who have read this thread: 0