how to install a star nut with out special tools?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

how to install a star nut with out special tools?

can you tell me in detail how to install a star nut with out special tools, first time doing build and i dont want to make any mistakes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    go to park tool's site for proper procedure and then replace the proper tool with a m6 screw

mtbr member
    this is how I usually do it.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...-the-star-nut/

at least to get it started. Lately, I've been using a 3/4-1"wooden dowel or appropriate sized socket from wrench set to get in straight(er), compared to tapping on the screw.

err, 27.5+
    I have been using a spare topcap with a shock eyelet reducer to standoff the starnut from the topcap (you could also use some washers). Getting it started is a pain, but otherwise it is a uneventful procedure. Just keep an eye on it and straighten it out if/when it goes off vertical
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    thanks the m6 screw worked, at first it went in really crooked but i took my time tapping it in and it straightened out....cool

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This can be dangerous if not seated completely straight. By dangerous I mean it can be impossible at times to set the preload on the headset if its even a tad off, and a improper adjusted headset can be dangerous. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I have done it myself, just be careful and meticulous when seating it and very gentle. A shop would do it for like 5 bucks. Thats what we charge if you bring the nut, 8 if you don't.

Members who have read this thread: 0