How can I use this oil?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

How can I use this oil?

Hi, I've got a huge gallon can of this low viscosity, very high quality oil (surplus from a university lab). Any ideas about how I can use it to keep my new ride running smooth? When would I use a good runny oil?

mtbr member
    Well, it would involve several naked women and a huge plastic sheet....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! Your priorities...

are in order I see!

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

race track

Quote Originally Posted by Titano
    Hi, I've got a huge gallon can of this low viscosity, very high quality oil (surplus from a university lab). Any ideas about how I can use it to keep my new ride running smooth? When would I use a good runny oil?
    Buy a track bike. Disassemble the hubs, pedals, and BB, clean out the grease, and repack with simichrome polish, or pearl drops tooth polish if that is still made, reassemble and ride. Disassemble, clean out the gunk, throw away the loose ball bearings and replace with grade 10 instrument quality ball bearings. Then use your oil instead of grease in all the bearings.
    I used to do the above to my track bike and then lube it with sewing machine oil. You could crank it up in the stand and come back 5 minutes later and it was still rolling.

For most other bicycle applications, you want an oil thick enough to stay where you put it. Your stuff would probably be good for lubing cables in casings, that kind of stuff. Anywhere else it's just gonna drip out all over the garage floor.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Buy a track bike. Disassemble the hubs, pedals, and BB, clean out the grease, and repack with simichrome polish, or pearl drops tooth polish if that is still made, reassemble and ride. Disassemble, clean out the gunk, throw away the loose ball bearings and replace with grade 10 instrument quality ball bearings. Then use your oil instead of grease in all the bearings.
    I used to do the above to my track bike and then lube it with sewing machine oil. You could crank it up in the stand and come back 5 minutes later and it was still rolling.

Back in the '60s when I used to watch international level track racing in the UK we could hear the ball bearings click-clicking as the top riders slowly circled the track. I can only assume that they had cleaned out the bearing grease and replaced it with light oil. A couple of days later at the Tuesday evening track league where all the rest of us rubby-dubs raced we never heard that noise. Thanks for the memories.

By the way - the fellow below who the quote is atributed to was one of the track internationals.

Members who have read this thread: 0