Headset ? (x thread)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Headset ? (x thread)

Quick question:
    I left a little extra pipe on the steerer tube so I could move the stem up and down over a few rides (I have spacers on both the top and bottom) to see how high I wanted the stem.
    After I repositioned the stem the shock wiggles a bit and it just looks like the top plate of my Chris King Head set must of slipped up.
    Before I whack at my nice headset I thought I'd take two seconds to ask a good way to do it. I was just going to loosen the stem and hold the front wheel off the ground then slam/slide the stem down to whack that top plate flush with the headset.
    bad/good? better way?
    thanks

mtbr member
    just tighten down on the top cap, making sure the top 'plate' is seated properly. tighten until resistance is felt.
    I usually go 1/8 of turn more on top cap, tighten stem clamp and see if there's any tightness in the handlebar while turning and any play in fork.
    Any binding or tightness in turning the bar = top cap too tight, back off 1/8 turn (loosening stem first) and try again. Any play in the fork- repear above except tighten cap bolt.
    have you checked out the park tool site fer tips?
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/....shtml#headset
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    Quick question:
    I left a little extra pipe on the steerer tube so I could move the stem up and down over a few rides (I have spacers on both the top and bottom) to see how high I wanted the stem.
    After I repositioned the stem the shock wiggles a bit and it just looks like the top plate of my Chris King Head set must of slipped up.
    Before I whack at my nice headset I thought I'd take two seconds to ask a good way to do it. I was just going to loosen the stem and hold the front wheel off the ground then slam/slide the stem down to whack that top plate flush with the headset.
    bad/good? better way?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Make sure there is clearance on the top spacer over the steerer tube. There needs to be 3 mm for the top cap to fit and draw everything up tight.

As for tapping everything snug I have a 12" long piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe that I use for a crown race/baseplate setter. It fits nicely over the top plate of a King and will allow a bit of nudging with a mallet to snug things up. The PVC is relatively soft and won't mar the finish and would probably split open before enough force to damage anything is applied.

Mike