headset repack.- Mtbr.com

Thread: headset repack.

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004

headset repack.

I have a richey scuzzy logic head set with a few rides on it. after the bike took a bath(i think timing was a fluke or at least i hope so) the headset started making a gritty noise that wasnt there today on my ride. The question is if i were to take the bearing out and re-pack them with greese how would i re-tension them with the starnut? does it "reset" if you take the stear tube out of the head set? or would i have to reset the the starnut, and if so, how might i go about that?? Thanks in advance!

Luke

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    the star nut will stay put. if it did move (it wont) it gets set at the right depth using a special tool, or carefully without one. the tool is hard to explane, basicaly there is a bolt that the nut gets threaded on to, you tap the bolt into the steer tube untill the tool bottoms out. or you can do it by hand with the right size bolt and a good eye.

you'll need to readjust the preload on the bearings when you put the headset back together though.

just a thought. more than once i though my headset was making noise and it turned out to be the cable ferruls creeking and groaning when i turned the wheel, not the headset.

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssissy
    the star nut will stay put. if it did move (it wont) it gets set at the right depth using a special tool, or carefully without one. the tool is hard to explane, basicaly there is a bolt that the nut gets threaded on to, you tap the bolt into the steer tube untill the tool bottoms out. or you can do it by hand with the right size bolt and a good eye.

you'll need to readjust the preload on the bearings when you put the headset back together though.

just a thought. more than once i though my headset was making noise and it turned out to be the cable ferruls creeking and groaning when i turned the wheel, not the headset.

Thanks, thats good to hear. I figgured i would have to readjust the preload, which is ok cause i had a little bit to much for me. I just hope it didnt move.

Ill have to check the ferruls, they could be a deffinate possibility for the noise!
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Everything you wanted to know about threadless headsets...

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...readless.shtml

Mike