Has Anyone Had Success With Purple Power on Chains, Chainrings, and Cassettes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Has Anyone Had Success With Purple Power on Chains, Chainrings, and Cassettes?

Hi All,
    I'm new to mtbr. I've probably spent a combined effort of 12 hours plus googling about Purple Power degreaser. I bought a gallon of the stuff for $7 on a whim after reading that it's environmentally safe, and works decent on bikes.

The problem is that the container warns against using the product on aluminum, stainless steel, and paint (i.e. almost all MTB surfaces). In my continued Google research, I've seen people that have no problems using the stuff, and others where the cleaner pits and mars their equipment.

My primary intent is to use it to clean my brand new chain (Whipperman Connex SX) in preparation for MSPEEDWAX. The MSPEEDWAX tutorial says to use citrus degreaser or odorless mineral spirits. Part of their process instructs to leave the chain in the solution overnight.

If I use Purple Power, will I destroy my chain? I'm also planning on using it on my Sunrace MX8 black cassette when it arrives. I'm overhauling my whole drivetrain (CK BB, GX Derailleur, E*Thirteen Cranks, Wolf Tooth SS Chainring). Thank you for your help!

mtbr member
    I've had a gallon of the stuff and used it for various things but I would not generally use it on my bikes. It's very basic (high PH) and can corrode aluminum etc as it precautions on the label. Simple Green is not as bad, but I don't use that either.

Can't go wrong with mineral spirits as it's basically a very thin oil that will slowly evaporate and works very well at dissolving greasy gunk. That's what I use when serious degreasing is required. Citrus degreaser is good for cleaning the cassette or chain rings. Any aqueous based cleaner/degreaser can only cause problems if gotten into pivots and bearings.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Thank you! Just returned the jug today, as I have no other use for it at the moment. I'll move forward with the mineral spirits

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I've had a gallon of the stuff and used it for various things but I would not generally use it on my bikes. It's very basic (high PH) and can corrode aluminum etc as it precautions on the label. Simple Green is not as bad, but I don't use that either.

Can't go wrong with mineral spirits as it's basically a very thin oil that will slowly evaporate and works very well at dissolving greasy gunk. That's what I use when serious degreasing is required. Citrus degreaser is good for cleaning the cassette or chain rings. Any aqueous based cleaner/degreaser can only cause problems if gotten into pivots and bearings.
    Interesting. I have no experience with Purple Power but I have been using Simple Green for years on my chains. I learned early on that you cannot soak chains in it, but I use concentrated Simple Green in my chain cleaner and then rinse the chain off with water immediately afterwards, and I haven't noticed any problems with this approach. Maybe I'll give mineral spirits a try when my current bottle of Simple Green is finished...

Magically Delicious
    Mineral spirits has been my go-to solvent for major chain degreasing for many years. That's not something that happens very often. I stay on top of chain maintenance and keep them pretty clean by regular wipe down and lube.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Class Clown
    I don't think degreasing a chain is necessary. You can get it pretty clean with some alcohol and a brush. Purple power works pretty good though

Interplanetary Poultry
    I remember many moons ago I turned a polished aluminum rim white with that stuff. My regret was immediate and long lasting. The stuff is great for cleaning garage floors though.
    . . . . . . . .