FYI Allen Drivers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

FYI Allen Drivers

Just thought I would pass this along, I was looking for Allen drivers for working on the bike but I wanted all 1/4 drive. Snap on, Mac etc, they all jumped to 3/8 drive around 5mm. I found these and really like them. 2mm-10mm

http://www.vimtools.com/product_detail.asp?id=SHM400

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1/4 to 3/8 adapters don't bother me at all, I've got a couple of them and the Craftsman allen and torx bits already. Being able to take a dead tool to any Sears store for a free replacement is worth having to add the adapter IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I like that they're stubby. I have a few places that a regular length hex driver won't fit.

mtbr member
    For not much more you can get this set from Northern Tool that includes many more bits (torx and hex):
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0392_200310392

I picked it up a few years ago on sale for $11. So keep your eyes peeled.

-Joe

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xjoex
    For not much more you can get this set from Northern Tool that includes many more bits (torx and hex):
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0392_200310392

I picked it up a few years ago on sale for $11. So keep your eyes peeled.

-Joe
    The whole purpose of the post was the fact that I wanted 1/4 drive, just like the ones I mentioned in the OP those go to 3/8 drive at 5mm. 1/4 drive is all that is required for 98% of bicycle work, Much better feal with light ratchets and extensions.

BTW the quality of those Northern Tool brand would not cut it for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    btw...thanks for posting this. I ended up ordering a set.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bpwhistler
    btw...thanks for posting this. I ended up ordering a set.
    Have you received them yet?
    I used them real quick and do like them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not yet...but I like the 1/4" drive too. The tools are easier to work with...and my 1/4" torque wrench is MUCH smaller.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ordered these after seeing these on this thread. Thanks senna. I had been looking around for a 1/4" drive set. These seem to me to be excellent quality. I got mine (in the US) from Amazon dot com. Perfect for a 1/4" torque wrench!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepitsharp
    I ordered these after seeing these on this thread. Thanks senna. I had been looking around for a 1/4" drive set. These seem to me to be excellent quality. I got mine (in the US) from Amazon dot com. Perfect for a 1/4" torque wrench!
    I am glad they worked out for you.

mtbr member
    i have a few VIM tools. zero complaints, they're good stuff. the hex sockets are a quite hard steel..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    i have a few VIM tools. zero complaints, they're good stuff. the hex sockets are a quite hard steel..
    Hey, good to hear. I believe they are a good value, price vs function.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd be reluctant to routinely put >300 inch-pounds through a 1/4" drive square, especially if the drive square were part of my torque wrench, so if it were me, I'd be shelving the 8mm and 10mm ones. Octalink crank bolts, UltraTorque hirth-joint bolts and freehub-body fixing bolts are all beyond what I'd want to subject a 1/4" drive square to. I'm sure the sockets themselves can handle it, though.

Personally, I use the Lisle 3/8"-drives for a stubby length, and Proto for medium and long lengths. The Lisles are an especially good value, US-made and under $20 locally for the 3-10mm set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i got the lisle set. pretty good for the money

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Where did you pick up the Lisle set?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ebay i think i paid 15 shipped

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    I'd be reluctant to routinely put >300 inch-pounds through a 1/4" drive square, especially if the drive square were part of my torque wrench, so if it were me, I'd be shelving the 8mm and 10mm ones. Octalink crank bolts, UltraTorque hirth-joint bolts and freehub-body fixing bolts are all beyond what I'd want to subject a 1/4" drive square to. I'm sure the sockets themselves can handle it, though.

Personally, I use the Lisle 3/8"-drives for a stubby length, and Proto for medium and long lengths. The Lisles are an especially good value, US-made and under $20 locally for the 3-10mm set.
    No wories, my 1/4 drive torque wrench only goes to 200 in #'s. Only makes ( comon ) sense to go to 3/8 drive at that point.

mtbr member
    my 1/4 inch QR chuck impact removes lugnuts at 80 ft/lbs.. yup, 1/4 inch!

wouldnt worry about it at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bpwhistler
    Where did you pick up the Lisle set?
    At an auto-parts distributor just around the corner from our shop.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    my 1/4 inch QR chuck impact removes lugnuts at 80 ft/lbs.. yup, 1/4 inch!

wouldnt worry about it at all.
    Now we are using impact wrenches on our bikes that don't even have lug nut's

Totally relevant comment, thanks for the input.

err, 27.5+
    Bah, not relevant for you but may just be for others. I use an impact wrench to install/remove 6-bolt rotors all the time. Way faster and it sets pretty darn close to the recommended torque. Obviously for that I use a 1/4in drive torx socket
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senna
    Now we are using impact wrenches on our bikes that don't even have lug nut's

Totally relevant comment, thanks for the input.
    little sense goes a long way

if it works with an IMPACT at 960 inch pounds.. dont you think you can kinda deduce that it'll work on your bike, at 300 inch pounds, at the same driver size?

i dont use an impact on my bike.. but if it'll hold up to that kind of abuse, im not going to second guess it for half a second on a bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Bah, not relevant for you but may just be for others. I use an impact wrench to install/remove 6-bolt rotors all the time. Way faster and it sets pretty darn close to the recommended torque. Obviously for that I use a 1/4in drive torx socket
    The relevant comment was more about 80ft #s and lug nuts.
    I can see using a 1/4 drive impact ( properly regulated ) if you are doing a lot of builds, I just maintain a couple bikes. I like lite weight tools for the feel and control. It may take a little longer, unless said impact brakes a bolt, then all the time gained is down the drain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    little sense goes a long way

if it works with an IMPACT at 960 inch pounds.. dont you think you can kinda deduce that it'll work on your bike, at 300 inch pounds, at the same driver size?

i dont use an impact on my bike.. but if it'll hold up to that kind of abuse, im not going to second guess it for half a second on a bike.
    I wasn't the one questioning the strength of a 1/4 drive, mechbgon did.

All I said was that once it gets over 200 inch #s ( the limit of my torque wrench ) that I go to 3/8 drive, and at that point it only make sense to go to 3/8 drive, being as not many 1/4 drive torque wrenches do go to 300 inch #s.

Members who have read this thread: 0