Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

fox float maintenance

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Grumpy_1 
#1 ·
I'd like to freshen up my 2006 Float 120 soon and would like to know if it is really as easy as it seems on the tutaorial video (for talas) on the fox website. I was also wondering what parts and fluids are necessary-I guess I have to buy float fluid from fox, but fork oil can be any type of 7 wt??? What seals should be replaced, what other parts do I need? How often should this be done? Thanks for any advice!

#2 ·
Hi
It is a simple job if you follow the instuctions. But dont do it if you dont have to! The only reason to really do it is blown seals, if yours are working there shouldnt be be any reason to open the fork. If the seals are blown and oil is leaking out the top or if water has gotten into the fork then you should service. 7wt motorcycle fork oil works fine, dont use anything other than 7wt. Other wt,s mess with the rebound, lock out and threshold blow off. Make sure you follow the rebound cap removal and instalation instuctions word by word. Damage can be caused to the internals if you are not careful when opening the screw that holds the rebound cap in place.DONT LOOSE THE BALLS that hold the lock out in place! I use enduro fork seals and find them more reliable than the fox seals. There are also some instuction tips on their website.Remember follow the instuctions!
Good luck
Moo

#3 ·
MOO said:
Hi
It is a simple job if you follow the instuctions. But dont do it if you dont have to! The only reason to really do it is blown seals, if yours are working there shouldnt be be any reason to open the fork. If the seals are blown and oil is leaking out the top or if water has gotten into the fork then you should service. 7wt motorcycle fork oil works fine, dont use anything other than 7wt. Other wt,s mess with the rebound, lock out and threshold blow off. Make sure you follow the rebound cap removal and instalation instuctions word by word. Damage can be caused to the internals if you are not careful when opening the screw that holds the rebound cap in place.DONT LOOSE THE BALLS that hold the lock out in place! I use enduro fork seals and find them more reliable than the fox seals. There are also some instuction tips on their website.Remember follow the instuctions!
Good luck
Moo
So should I still change the fork oil or the float fluid (without doing the seals), or should I just say "if it ain't broke then don't fix it". The fork works well, except it still seems to only get about 100-105mm of travel over the roughest impacts.

What kind of life expectancy should I expect from the dust seals and cartridge seals?

Thanks,
Jamie

#4 ·
The seals should last about a year depending on riding conditions, clean them before every ride. If the oil is not contaminated there is no reason to change it. The travel issue is not related to the oil in the shock, maybe your setup is off. You can release all the air from the shock and check if there is any problem with how far the shock travels.
"if it ain't broke then don't fix it".
Moo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.