Floor Pumps that Don't Suck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Floor Pumps that Don't Suck

Does anybody know of one? None seem to last, most of them being built with too many plastic parts. I have gone through the following:

Blackburn TP-1
    Blackburn TP-2 (head replaced twice)
    Blackburn TP-4 (head replaced, large nut broke)
    Topeak Joe Blow (gauge broke, then head)
    Topeak Joe Blow (first one was warrantied, now the head leaks)
    Nashbar (broken plastic parts)
    Wrench Force (leaking head)

I hate to say it, but at something like $15, the Nashbar was probably the best bang for the buck. Sure, it doesn't have a good feel or any signs of quality construction, but it probably put out as much air as any of them before throwing in the towel. It had a 1 year warranty and probably lasted about 2 years.

Blackburn has a great customer service policy. They have always promptly sent out free replacement parts. Even so, nobody like to have to use the customer service. By then, you are already frustrated with the product.

I would much prefer a pump made entirely with high quality metal parts (except the seals and hose) that is built to last. I would like it if the pump also came with extra seals for the inevitable failure. Actually, it probably shouldn't be inevitable since cheap air cylinders are built that easily last over 1 million cycles (and they aren't made of leather).

Are others as frustrated as me with crappy pumps? I think they should be a tool that is not disposable after 1 year, or even 10 years.

Trail rider and racer
    Good god you seem to have bad luck.

Have you tried that Park tool pumps? They are well constructed. I bought a cheap Serfas (sp???) pump and it has worked brilliantly in the 2 years I have had it and it doesn't appear to have much plastic on it (Except for the gauge and and valve thing.)

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trev!

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I like my Specialized air tool pro. Although I haven't had it long (less than a year), I have yet to have any trouble with it. It feels like a really well made pump.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member

Get a Silca

I've been using the same old Medai floor pump almost forever. http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html
    I don't think they are made anymore, but its all metal and easy to service. I've replaced the leather plunger, the hose (just auto parts store vacuum hose), and the chuck (with a brass Silca presta only).

If I was buying today, I'd buy a Silca Super Pista with the wooden handle.

rolling in the greens
    The PFP-2 is a shop quality pump for the professional mechanic. Packed with features and built to last for years of dependable service. Imported.

Smooth operating double barrel design
    Cast alloy head fits Presta and Schrader valves
    Comfortable steel oversized handle with "soft-touch" rubber grips
    Industrial quality pressure gauge is mounted on top of pump for easy reading
    Extra long high pressure hose
    Oversized cast alloy base for superior stability
    Maximum pressure: 160 psi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Throbbing Member

Silca Pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Econoline
    I've been using the same old Medai floor pump almost forever. http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html
    I don't think they are made anymore, but its all metal and easy to service. I've replaced the leather plunger, the hose (just auto parts store vacuum hose), and the chuck (with a brass Silca presta only).

If I was buying today, I'd buy a Silca Super Pista with the wooden handle.
    I bought a Silca pump three years ago, it's a great "Old School" pump, wood handle as said, brass presta only valve, the only plastic on the pump is the cover for the gauge. Never had any problems. I strongly recommend this pump.
    Phil Hernandez RIP

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Never had a pump that sucked, mine blows. Actually, it blew.

I tried a friends it was a Beto, cheap no name. It was red with a wooden handle.
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1091976685125

I was quite surprised, it worked like a dream, very smooth.

mtbr member
    About 18 years ago, I bought a no name cheap O from K-Mart for $3.99 No guage and only worked on schrader valves. Adjust the price paid for inflation to 2004, then discounted at wally world, I would have maybe $7.99 invested today if I could find one.

After about 2 years, the plastic handle broke. I replaced it with a wood dowel that I attached to the shaft with a piece of metal and a garden variety nut. About 10 years later, the hose broke. I should have replaced the hose but I decided to retire it.

This pump was used many many times to fill our road bikes up to 120 lbs.

Tom
    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT SAR.

Moderator Moderator

Silca

I've got a silca that has been going strong for a dozen or so years. I've aquired/won/used other pumps in that time, but none have stood up as well as my Silca. I think the only part i've gotten is a new little leather grommit for the head. I've wrapped the handle in road bike tape and it just strokes oh so smooth...

The thing I like about the silca is pretty much every bike shop has parts for these pumps. Others use cheap asian plastic parts and hunting down replacement parts can be tough. I have a Blackburn pump which pushes a lot of air, but it seemed like I was always "fiddling" with the head to find the sweet spot. I've got that somewhere but never use it because the Silca is much easier to use.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just picked up the Blue Nashbar for $14 on sale, normally $20 or so. Looks like they bumped it a couple bucks in the past three weeks.

Hopefully it will work better than the $13 all plastic crap Wally World is selling when they have them in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ... You need this one

You need this one Rennkompressor

Lucas

sprocket

Silca

Don't question. Just buy.

The Riddler
    Topeak Joe Blow Pro on ebay was a good deal that is working out.

Who are the brain police?
    I bought a Wrench Force Shop pump from my LBS for $40-something. It's a quality Silca clone. All the parts can be replaced w/ Silcas.

There's no plastic. Has brass fittings and a wood handle. It's the kind of pump you can pass down to the next generation.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

banned
    Second Rennkompressor. I got mine at REI.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Rennkompressor... been trying to break it for ages.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    I like my Specialized air tool pro. Although I haven't had it long (less than a year), I have yet to have any trouble with it. It feels like a really well made pump.
    + 1 This is a seriously nice pump & air bleed button on the handle is a great feature. It seems very sturdy & beefy, not to mention very stable on the floor dur to its large cast aluminium base. Apart from that it's a pump.....

Catch ya later.........Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have an old nashbar that is all metal except for the handle. Still going strong after years and years. only thing is it is difficult to get up to really high pressures, i.e over 110psi.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Surprisingly, my Supergo brand pump has been nice. I picked one up because I had lent girlfriend my nice Blackburn pump and was going to give her the Supergo one and take back my Blackburn.

Much to my surprise, I liked the Supergo one better, so kept it for myself. I forgot the model, but it's the red one. It has a nice head that does not bend the presta tips. It has a flip up lever instead of the Blackburn's turning switch to seal and lock on the head. I prefer the lever. It's been reliable and I can't complain.

I have no idea what the warranty is and Supergo is infamous for bad customer service, but I guess for a pump I didn't mind the risk.

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

I'll put another vote in for the Specialized Air Pro

My Specialized is built well and has served me well for about 2 years, the local store uses one for their hand pump, that's why I bought mine.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

What Leather to Repair Air Pump

I've used an old Schwinn for ever ... but the piston finally gave up the ghost. Where do I get a good replacement piston/leather for it?
    I've googled everything I could think of to no avail!

thanks!

Pumpless in Seattle

I dig trails!
    I have a Silca, had to change the rubber grommet once.

It's over 12 years old and used constantly.

The only drawback is the painful day-glo pink, day-glo yellow, and day-glo green colors it sports from the height of early 90s fashion. It's good for a laugh from my riding buddies tho. They laugh less when they have to use it

mr. P

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

rubber grommet?

So your pump uses a rubber grommet instead of a leather patch for the piston ... where did you even get the rubber grommet? I've not found any pump parts at all on the web ...
    undefined
    Single Tracker as well as 4 Stroke trail rider

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by dilyb
    So your pump uses a rubber grommet instead of a leather patch for the piston ... where did you even get the rubber grommet? I've not found any pump parts at all on the web ...
    I might be using the wrong term. The rubber grommet I was referring to was the for the brass tip where the presta tube valve goes in.

I picked one up at my LBS, but was forced to buy the brass sleeve as well ~$20!

Mr. P

A wheelist
    My Silca hasn't sucked in the 30 years that I've had it. Maybe it will one day eh? I've worn out a couple of chucks in that time - quite easily available of course. I'm on the original leather washer. I just oil it up with Neatsfoot oil every few years.

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Chalk another vote for Specialized Air Tool Comp up. Very sturdy feeling, and a great base with griptape. Just stay away from the Sport, it has an all plastic handle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I might be using the wrong term. The rubber grommet I was referring to was the for the brass tip where the presta tube valve goes in.

I picked one up at my LBS, but was forced to buy the brass sleeve as well ~$20!

Mr. P
    Oh ... you're talking about the grommet at the tip you put on the tire valve stem ... and I've worn out the leather piston inside the pump body. That's the leather that I need to find ... anyone know of where to get it?
    undefined
    Single Tracker as well as 4 Stroke trail rider

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    I had a Zefal Husky for many years that I regret leaving with my ex when we split up. It was still working well, inspite of the plastic top cap being cracked from being left in a hot car for after-work rides many, many times. Its only weakness was that the head was for schraeder valves, so it needed a presta adapter.

I replaced it with a Park PFP-3, the consumer model. After about a year, I blew out the short piece of hose that runs between the base and the gauge midway into pumping up the second road bike tire. I took the piece to my local shop and Park dealer figuring that Park's tools are generally repairable and replacement parts are readily available. Seems they don't stock this particular little part, so they gave me a whole new pump. Can't beat that for customer service.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

franken pump

Silca's have a great feel to them but the heads on them are crap.

the fix: get a Smart Head from topeak and replace the hose/head of the silca. Now you've got a pump for life.

For Those About To Ride
    I am using some planet bike pump that i got from my lbs about two months ago and i have constatly been using it to fill up my and my friends bikes and it has been holding up fine. ill get a pic of it later
    no dig no ride...