mtbr member
    Feb 2018

DT 350/240 15mm axle conversion problems

Hi all

Although I have found similar posts, none have given a solution to the problem I'm having:

Bougth a DT x1700 9mm on the cheap, and while the 9mm was ok for the rigid carbon fork I was using, I needed to use 15mm when I swapped to the permanent, Magura TS8 suspension.

As it seemed it was a OEM wheel, the hub was not convertible to 15mm (although the end caps came off easily). I found the axle conversion kit by sellutioncomponents on ebay. While it is a clever idea, there are some flaws I have found; first off, the caps are 1 to 2 mm too big, and the rotor rubs against the bork leg/brake caliper supports. I have seen people with this issue (hope hubs mainly), use a spacer, which is what I will try next(ordered some plastic washer which look to be more forgiving in case they rub too much against the hub body).

Btw, tried the wheel with some Fox 32, and RS Yaris, and had the same problem (surprisingly the Fox had the best clearance of all).

However, if that doesn't work, or it makes the hub too wide for the fork, has anyone tried to sand down an endcap? Sanding the driveside endcap coul give me the 1/2mm extra clearance that I'll get by adding the spacer. Dremmel, belt sander?

Would dishing be an issue?

Second issue with the conversion kit: the axle itself is way too tight. The Magura thru axle fits (barely), but the Fox doesn't. So, any one there has any tricks on how to improve the fit? Grease, WD40, chainlube, tried them all.

Worst part are the actual ends of the axle: should I dremmel away and widen them just enough?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Don't do what you're doing, then right after that, buy a hub that fits

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    Don't do what you're doing, then right after that, buy a hub that fits

Ok, so don't do what? deburr the axle? use the adapter designed for this hub? use a washer?

No offence, but if the solution to a mechanical problem is: "go buy a new one", don't see the point in having a section dedicated to DIY projects and mechanic tips.

Dave's not here.
    I had a DT Swiss 240s hub that was 9mm QR and I bought the very same conversion kit you are referring to. It seemed good, in theory. However, I found the QC on it to be lacking. If I tightened it ever-so-slightly it would lock the front wheel up completely. It was binding the bearings. So, the spacing between the bearings was either too short or too long (I can't remember the measurements I took compared to the original axle). Another problem I had with the kit was that the axle didn't quite fit the bearing inner race. I had to sand the axle down in order to get it to fit properly.

Ultimately, I ended up buying the proper DT 350 hub. Consider the cost of the conversion kit, add a few bucks and buy the correct hub. If I had known about the issues I was going to have with the conversion kit, I would have bought the DT 350 from the get-go and saved myself some frustration. Maybe they ironed out the issues with the kit since I purchased it. YMMV.
    Last edited by MiWolverine; 05-11-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added info
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    I had a DT Swiss 240s hub that was 9mm QR and I bought the very same conversion kit you are referring to. It seemed good, in theory. However, I found the QC on it to be lacking. If I tightened it ever-so-slightly it would lock the front wheel up completely. It was binding the bearings. So, the spacing between the bearings was either too short or too long (I can't remember the measurements I took compared to the original axle). Another problem I had with the kit was that the axle didn't quite kit the bearing inner race. I had to sand the axle down in order to get it to fit properly.

Ultimately, I ended up buying the proper DT 350 hub. Consider the cost of the conversion kit, add a few bucks and buy the correct hub. If I had known about the issues I was going to have with the conversion kit, I would have bought the DT 350 from the get-go and saved myself some frustration. Maybe they ironed out the issues with the kit since I purchased it. YMMV.
    Thanks for the info, although you're confirming my worst fears, I am afraid either tolerances are too tight or QC a bit slack. I'll try the washer + sanding way before giving up. If that doesn't work I'll have to reinstall the original 9mm axle/end caps and use the wheel on the grave bike.

It's not even a question of money, tbh, I like to reuse whenever possible, seems less wasteful, and I have just too many part gathering dust to add a hub to the junk bin...

What I wouldn't give for some common sense and standarisation in the bike industry. Or conversion kits that actually work!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm glad we all ended up on the same page.

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommers View Post
    Thanks for the info, although you're confirming my worst fears, I am afraid either tolerances are too tight or QC a bit slack. I'll try the washer + sanding way before giving up. If that doesn't work I'll have to reinstall the original 9mm axle/end caps and use the wheel on the grave bike.

It's not even a question of money, tbh, I like to reuse whenever possible, seems less wasteful, and I have just too many part gathering dust to add a hub to the junk bin...

What I wouldn't give for some common sense and standarisation in the bike industry. Or conversion kits that actually work!

Thanks!
    I understand, and the 240s is an excellent hub. However, I ended up selling my 240s for a bit more than what the 350 cost, and letting someone else enjoy the 240s. I also ended up returning the conversion kit. For me, it was just too much of a PITA to try and make that kit work.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    i'm glad we all ended up on the same page.

sent from my xt1585 using tapatalk
    Touche

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Guys, quick update, I was unable to return the conversion kit, so I just went ahead and tried a little TLC. Added a 1mm washer on the disc side, filed 1mm from the driveside end cap and presto, it fits and doesn't rub.

I also sanded just the tiniest bit of the axle ends, and now the thru axle goes in and out smoothly.

I have to try it for real, but I hope it doesn't cost me a nasty fall.

Anyway, I wouldn't go through the process again, I would have rather sold the x1700 and bought a new 15x100 wheel. Hopefully all's well that ends well.

mtbr member

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Ummm...did you read what you linked to? It's in the first paragraph...here, I'll bold the appropriate bits.

"This is a place to discuss Tools, Do It Yourself Custom Builds and Modifications to bikes and bike parts"