mtbr member
    Sep 2018

DIY project idea, I'd appreciate suggestions/comments.

Hi All, my son and I are new MTBer's. He's picking up his new Cannondale Trail 7 tonight. I'm still shopping around.

I am currently looking to buy a used Specialized, Diamondback or Cannondale hardtail 29er on the $500 range to get started.

But what I really want is a full suspension 29er.

So, my idea is to first buy the used hardtail. Then, in 6 to 8 months, buy a good quality Chinese carbon 29er frame, strip down my hardtail and use those components (or as many as possible) on the new frame, along with a new Fox rear shock.

Then, after saving for another 4 months, I'd buy quality front forks for the new frame and put the original front forks back on the hardtail and maybe sell the hardtail frame.

Anyone ever try this? Good idea? Bad idea?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by simspace; 09-28-2018 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You could, but some hardtails (especially the entry level ones) are using outdated tech like QR (Quick Release) instead of TA (Thru Axle), 135mm (QR) vs 142mm (TA) or even 148mm (TA Boost), etc.
    This means that the wheels on whatever hardtail you get might not be able to fit on the chinese carbon frame that you might be getting a few months down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    As long as all the components are compatible fitments (tapered vs straight fork) it should work.

I would work in reverse on this one. Determine what your final project will consist of so that you buy a used rig with the comparable and desirable hardware.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    You could, but some hardtails (especially the entry level ones) are using outdated tech like QR (Quick Release) instead of TA (Thru Axle)
    Thanks. Really helpful. I didn't think about QR's being an issue on a modern frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 408abel View Post
    I would work in reverse on this one. Determine what your final project will consist of so that you buy a used rig with the comparable and desirable hardware.
    Good advice. My hardtail requirements are a 2x, a tapered head tube, hydraulic brakes, 29er's. Now I have to add to that thru-axle wheels. This idea may prove challenging.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by simspace View Post
    Anyone ever try this? Good idea? Bad idea?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'm not sure that's a great idea. I feel that you'd be throwing away a lot of that money only to spend it again to get whatever frame you got later up and running. You never come out ahead building a bike piecemeal. I also don't suggest going full suspension until you can cover around at least 1.5K. Full suspension really adds to the cost of hardtail. The real crux of it is that you will lose out on the subsidizing of the parts when buying a complete bike. I would create a Diamond Back corp account then wait for something that fits your budget. Use the affirm option, to pay off in payments. Btw, this question is really in the wrong forum. My 2 cents.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9796487-dia...bicycle-stores

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Btw, this question is really in the wrong forum.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure which was the best sub-forum to use. I saw that part of the tag line for this sub-forum is "DIY projects" that's why I posted it here.

I would create a Diamond Back corp account then wait for something that fits your budget. Use the affirm option, to pay off in payments.
    That's cool. Not being a business, I didn't know I could create a corp account.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by simspace View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't sure which was the best sub-forum to use. I saw that part of the tag line for this sub-forum is "DIY projects" that's why I posted it here.

That's cool. Not being a business, I didn't know I could create a corp account.
    Hmm, looks like that code finally died. There should be a new one floating around. Hmmm, try this one CYCLE4PERK or CYCLE4SPARKFLY.

Regarding the corp account, I used it to buy 4 bikes for our hs mtb team, free ship, no tax, and a stupid low price. Btw, the code if it works will work for Raleigh too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hmm, looks like that code finally died. There should be a new one floating around. Hmmm, try this one CYCLE4PERK or CYCLE4SPARKFLY.
    I used "CYCLE4TAW." The account was created, but I don't think I see any deals. I'll look around the site and see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oh sorry I misread that. Their stock fluctuates so keep an eye on it. You can also use the code to create a Raleigh (sister co) account too.

Btw, those bikes I bought were actually Raleighs. I got 4 Ziva Comps for 610 shipped ea. Those bikes were then promptly put into service, went thru a full race season still cranking away.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2017-Raleigh-...ke-S/547972718

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Oh sorry I misread that. Their stock fluctuates so keep an eye on it.
    No worries. This is awesome info. I appreciate it!

I got 4 Ziva Comps for 610 shipped ea. Those bikes were then promptly put into service, went thru a full race season still cranking away.
    Wow that's insane! Amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I saw that there are a couple Ziva Comps (XS/L) on Amazon, new and warehouse too. I bought a Mongoose L100 off their warehouse and it was mint. It might be worth a look.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU50V6J/

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    So I ended up buying a Trek Roscoe 7. I'm loving the bike, especially the plus-size tires. I'll use this for a couple of years and improve my trail skills. And in the meantime, I'll save for a full-suspension bike. In the long run, that feels like the wiser choice.

Thanks for all the responses!

Barely in control
    What kind of fs 29er? there are many options for 100mm travel xc type frames. For mid travel 2.4-2.6" tires, not so much that I can find.