DIU Stand for Park 100-3D clamp?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member since 1996

DIU Stand for Park 100-3D clamp?

Iím looking for a new stand. My 20+ year old ultimate is getting loose and wobbly. I want something solid and stable. The $600 Park pro stand is my ideal. I really like Park 100 3D clamp. But $400 for the clamp/pole plus $200 for the base?

rhe clamp alone sells for $130. Any DIY ideas to make a solid stand like the $600 version? Welding is an option.

the 10.2 and others have the clamp, but not as stable a base or secure rotating lock. My bike is 30+ pounds. Iím also tall so most portable stands are quite low.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Iím looking for a new stand. My 20+ year old ultimate is getting loose and wobbly. I want something solid and stable. The $600 Park pro stand is my ideal. I really like Park 100 3D clamp. But $400 for the clamp/pole plus $200 for the base?

rhe clamp alone sells for $130. Any DIY ideas to make a solid stand like the $600 version? Welding is an option.

the 10.2 and others have the clamp, but not as stable a base or secure rotating lock. My bike is 30+ pounds. Iím also tall so most portable stands are quite low.
    If you're after a static height stand, it's pretty straight forward to build a mount for an EVT clamp or whatever your favorite is. Having a lathe makes life a lot easier as you want the clamp to fit inside the housing with a reasonable amount of precision. I made one for our shop using a linear air rail. Built a mount to attach the clamp to the carriage of the rail and did some plumbing and I've got one bad ass height adjustable stand.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    If you're after a static height stand, it's pretty straight forward to build a mount for an EVT clamp or whatever your favorite is. Having a lathe makes life a lot easier as you want the clamp to fit inside the housing with a reasonable amount of precision. I made one for our shop using a linear air rail. Built a mount to attach the clamp to the carriage of the rail and did some plumbing and I've got one bad ass height adjustable stand.
    I do have access to a lathe as well.

Can you post a few photos of yours? I would like it to be adjustable height.

mtbr member since 1996
    The park wall mount version could make this an easy build. It could mount to the carriage rather easily via a steel plate with bolt holes drilled out. The rail mounted to wood, steel beam, pipe, or ??? I can probably get some scrap steel for a base plate then fasten it to the joists for added stability.

Only thing I havenít figured out is an easy way to lock/unlock it for changing the height. I donít need infinite adjustments so some kind of indexed system would work. Drill holes and slip a bolt through? What did you do?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Can you do something like the Ultimate does and mount the clamp to a tripod speaker stand? Heck, if the base of your Ultimate is wobbly, you might be able to move that head to a new speaker stand. The company that bought Ultimate's bike stand business- Feedback Sports- is also willing to sell you a replacement base, but a generic speaker stand can be cheaper.

The challenging part is finding a sturdy enough tripod speaker stand since they're not necessarily designed to be used with the legs completely splayed out.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah, right View Post
    Can you do something like the Ultimate does and mount the clamp to a tripod speaker stand? Heck, if the base of your Ultimate is wobbly, you might be able to move that head to a new speaker stand. The company that bought Ultimate's bike stand business- Feedback Sports- is also willing to sell you a replacement base, but a generic speaker stand can be cheaper.

The challenging part is finding a sturdy enough tripod speaker stand since they're not necessarily designed to be used with the legs completely splayed out.
    It is an old cheap stand. The head slips and rotates, the clamp is super annoying to adjust how tight it is, it doesnít go up very high, and the clamp surface is large loke The park 1003C so finding a bit enough surface is tricky on my fs MTBs.

Basically...it was a bad stand then. 20 years later itís a worn bad stand.

Rather ironic I have about every tool needed to service bikes but a crap stand.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    It looks like today is my day to stand up for Ultimate. Okay, I'll quit it with the puns.

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, it seems like the Ultimate was designed more as a portable work stand. It'll work in a home shop, but that's not what it was designed for, otherwise it'd be much heavier (duty).

Also, I admit, the clamp is fiddly, but it's much lighter than the cast aluminum Park clamp and it folds up easily. I don't think Park (or anyone else) had anything comparable at the time.

I'm not sure, but don't the Park and Ultimate have similar clamp surfaces too? For a twenty+ year old stand when there were many fewer fs bikes with short tubes, this wasn't as much of an issue either.

I think that, at the time, the Ultimate was good for what it was designed for. I certainly wouldn't have called it a crap stand. Maybe it's not great in a home shop after twenty years of use (though I think mine still works well. I've even used the wheel trying stand to build a few wheels), but it's light and portable, and good for race day adjustments and repairs.

Full disclosure, though I'm not a paid shill, I did get a pro purchase discount on the Ultimate stand when I was working at a bike shop.