Decent (inexpensive) tire gauge?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Decent (inexpensive) tire gauge?

Looking for a decent quality gauge that won't break the bank. Any of you use and recommend the two following models? Both are currently less than $20 on Amazon.

Schwalbe Airmax (digital)

Meiser Presta-Valve Dial Gauge w' pressure relief, 60 psi. (brass w' dial)

Meatbomb
    I use the one provided at birth. Just squeeze the tire. You'll get a 'feel' for it after a while.

Exact air pressure has never been very important to me.

mtbr member
    I use the Meiser 0-30 gauge as I run 20 or less psi. I run as low as I can before getting rim strikes or significant tire squirm. At these low pressures, I find a psi or two one way or the other makes a significant difference in ride and traction. At higher relative pressures, I find the ride and traction to be pretty insensitive to pressure.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I use the one built into my floor pump. Once I find a pressure setting I like, I stick to that each and every time as well as adjust as needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by biglmbass View Post
    Looking for a decent quality gauge that won't break the bank. Any of you use and recommend the two following models? Both are currently less than $20 on Amazon.

I just picked this up a couple weeks ago:

Accu-Gage Presta Valve MTB CX Tire Pressure Gauge, 60psi

I went with the 60 psi gauge (instead of the 30 psi) because I have read that you can ruin the calibration of it if you go over the max psi. The 60 psi has plenty of resolution for my purposes. Seems reasonably sturdy, but I haven't used it enough to give it a rave review yet.

I've used the Schwalbe digital gauge - they are pretty flimsy. The thing I keep forgetting wtih all gauges is to release air to blow any sealant out of the valve core before putting the gauge on. I suspect I've ruined a few gauges releasing sealant into the gauge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I use the Meiser 0-30 gauge as I run 20 or less psi. I run as low as I can before getting rim strikes or significant tire squirm. At these low pressures, I find a psi or two one way or the other makes a significant difference in ride and traction. At higher relative pressures, I find the ride and traction to be pretty insensitive to pressure.
    +1 for the Meiser.
    For normal 2.35" tires or so the gauge on my tire pump work fine but on my plus bike a 1/2 psi makes a difference and this gauge works great for that.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

eri
    mtbr member
    I had a few cheap digital gauges, a few years ago, a noname and a toppeak and they were giving wild readings. Got the the schwalbe and itís at least accurate.

At least I trust it, that is job one but... Thing I hate about it is that it beeps and turns off exactly when Iím putting it back on to get another reading.

Wish I had a pump with a trustworthy gauge. My friend has a new Silca that I want to steal. Edit: Shoot ! Is a lezyne, not a Silca. Itís so sweet and wasnít crazy expensive.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by biglmbass View Post

I also have one of the Meiser gauges.

Choose wisely -the claimed accuracy is greatest between a specified PSI range. The incorrect gauge for your application may be less accurate.
    For example, the 60psi wouldn't be the best choice for plus sized tires.

I rely on the gauge on my floor pump for the 29er x 2.35 but I use the accuaguge for the 2.8 tires. The floor pump gauge is not sensitive enough at the lower numbers to display anything on the gauge. As in, I can't find where 12psi is on the floor pump as 10 and 15 are very close and no tick marks separating them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    +1 for the Meiser.
    +2

Best gauge ever.
    Accurate and repeatable.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    The floor pump gauge is not sensitive enough at the lower numbers to display anything on the gauge. As in, I can't find where 12psi is on the floor pump as 10 and 15 are very close and no tick marks separating them.
    Same for me. My floor pump gauge is has no increments between 20,40, 56 & so on PSI. Doesn't matter so much on my mtn bike, but I've recently added a gravel bike and would like to be bit more precise in PSI readings.

Leaning towards the Meiser Accu-Gage. Thanks for all the info, folks.