Coming Up Short- Mtbr.com

Thread: Coming Up Short

mtbr member
    May 2004

Coming Up Short

I was not sure where to post this, but I figured the tool area would be good because people here probably have the most mechanical knowledge and experience.

I just bought a new frame and found that the head tube is longish (6 inches) and that my steer tube is going to come up short (probably almost 3/8 inch of the top of the stem). I really had not planned on a new fork purchase so I wanted to see if I could get away with this. My stem also has a large clamp at 2 inches (easton ea50), thus it is grabing a good portion of the steer tube with the stem.

I figure that this setup might cause the headset to come loose more often, but I would be intrested to know what other ramifications and dangers I might face.

Maybe I will post this on the weight watchers section to see if I can get anyone to bless this as a novel weight reduction technique.

Cheers

mtbr member

Try finding a stem with...

...a much lower stack height. Race Face (at least the older "SyStem"s), Truvativ (Wavo) and FSA make relatively low stack height stems vs. the Easton stems.

Not so spam, but I have a Race Face SyStem in 135mmx15d and a Truvativ Wavo in 100mmx5d available.

There is a solution short of buying a new fork.

Hope this helps,

Sean
    Professional Amateur

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

if I understand

that's 1 5/8 inch of clamp/steerer tube interface you end up with? hopefully that mising 3/8" is with the headset installed, not just holding the steerer tube in the bare head tube and eyeballing it.
    If that's the case, you should be ok, as that's still more clamping contact than a whole bunch of stems offer, including the Ringles I've been riding with for a decade.
    you normally want the tube to end about a quarter inch below the top of the stem to allow for the top cap to seat, so really you're what an eight inch short?
    like the man said, a headset with a shorter stack height will solve your problem, if there really is one there.
    another way to go when you got a sweet fork you must use, is to have the head tube milled down. most of them stick up some from the end of the weld bead and a good shop can take that down. if you mill from the bottom, you can also make a frame more "suspension corrected" for use with a longish travel fork, but in your case I would mill from the top so as not to change the top tube height/head tube angle unless of course you got a longish travel fork in which case milling the bottom might actually improve things.

mtbr member
    Pazzaz, Sette, Weyless, Ritchey, and probably numerous other clones all have a stack height of 40mm. Despite their short stature, they all have a very effective two-bolt clamping system. 3/8" is about 10mm, so switching to one of those stems would solve your problem, you might even have to use a spacer. I think going with a new stem is your best bet, and you will save about 50 grams if you go with one of the clones I mentioned.

mtbr member
    just face off a quarter inch of headtube, unless it's ti, you should have no troubles.

not really, don't do this.

- Joel

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joelkamp
    I just bought a new frame and found that the head tube is longish (6 inches) and that my steer tube is going to come up short (probably almost 3/8 inch of the top of the stem). I really had not planned on a new fork purchase so I wanted to see if I could get away with this. My stem also has a large clamp at 2 inches (easton ea50), thus it is grabing a good portion of the steer tube with the stem.

I figure that this setup might cause the headset to come loose more often, but I would be intrested to know what other ramifications and dangers I might face.
    I had similar concerns when installing an Easton EA50 stem recently.

The stem height is around 57mm. In the installation instructions, Easton states that you must have 45mm of exposed steerer tube. This means that the steerer tube can come up short by no more than 12mm or slightly under 1/2 inch.

This is quite a lot more than what's recommended in Zinn's book, but the Easton EA50 is unusually tall and the actual clamping surfaces are nearer to the bottom than the top.