Thread: Cleaning Help

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Cleaning Help

Iíve got a new full suspension mountain bike and want to make sure Iím cleaning it properly (something I didnít do with my first bike).

After very muddy rides, Iíve been cleaning the entire bike with dishwasher soap and a light spray hose.

I spray the pedals, rear derailleur and cassette with Tri Flow Superier Lubricant Aerosol Spray and clean them with a brush.

I clean my chain with a rag and Tri Flow Superior Lubricant drip.

Is all of that Ok so far?

How should I clean my disc brake rotors? I read that just alcohol and a rag is fine.

I accidentally used the Tri Flow spray on my rotors the first time. Will it cause damage? What should I do?

ANY FEEDBACK AND TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. Thanks!

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by dddfg44 View Post
    Iíve got a new full suspension mountain bike and want to make sure Iím cleaning it properly (something I didnít do with my first bike).

After very muddy rides, Iíve been cleaning the entire bike with dishwasher soap and a light spray hose.

I spray the pedals, rear derailleur and cassette with Tri Flow Superier Lubricant Aerosol Spray and clean them with a brush.

I clean my chain with a rag and Tri Flow Superior Lubricant drip.

Is all of that Ok so far?

How should I clean my disc brake rotors? I read that just alcohol and a rag is fine.

I accidentally used the Tri Flow spray on my rotors the first time. Will it cause damage? What should I do?

ANY FEEDBACK AND TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. Thanks!
    Hopefully you haven't ridden the bike since you sprayed the rotors. This will contaminate the pads and render them useless. If you haven't ridden it, wipe the rotors off several times with alcohol and a CLEAN rag (not one of them red shop rags- they have oil in them).

Many threads on cleaning your bike.

Here's a couple: http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ce-693799.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ke-769652.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ke-204288.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Hopefully you haven't ridden the bike since you sprayed the rotors. This will contaminate the pads and render them useless. If you haven't ridden it, wipe the rotors off several times with alcohol and a CLEAN rag (not one of them red shop rags- they have oil in them).

Many threads on cleaning your bike.

Here's a couple: http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ce-693799.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ke-769652.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ke-204288.html
    Thanks. Those threads are nightmares though. ďNever clean your bike. But always clean your bike. Only if itís expensive. Spray it all with degreaser, then water. Salt is fine. Unicorns are fun.Ē

Are there 5 simple steps. Like,
    1. Soap and water with soft spray from the hose.
    2. Degrease chain and derailleur and cassette.
    3. Brushit all.
    4. Lube the chain.
    5. Alcohol the brakes.

Is that all right? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dddfg44 View Post
    Thanks. Those threads are nightmares though. ďNever clean your bike. But always clean your bike. Only if itís expensive. Spray it all with degreaser, then water. Salt is fine. Unicorns are fun.Ē

That's the way it is, everyone thinks their method is best and right. This thread will likely go the same way.

Anyway, I like a clean bike and think it's helpful for good maintenance. For me the easiest way is a bucket of warm soapy water and a hose with a gentle spray nozzle, you can do a pretty good job in about 10 minutes.

Drivetrain cleaning/maintenance is a whole different thread nightmare but I always do a quick clean on the chain, derailleurs and sprockets (I use rubbing alcohol) before cleaning the rest of the bike and then lube the chain afterward.

I've never done anything special with the rotors, just sprayed them with the rest of the bike and wipe dry and they've always worked fine.
    I brake for stinkbugs

turtles make me hot
    I spray my bikes down with that pink Finish Line bike wash, scrub them with a big, soft bristle brush to knock the dirt off and then rinse with a LIGHT spray of water.
    On anything with suspension parts I'll apply either Purple Bike Medicine or at least WD-40 to the stantions and wipe them clean. I just wipe the rotors with a towel and only clean them with alcohol if they become noisy.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Hopefully you haven't ridden the bike since you sprayed the rotors. This will contaminate the pads and render them useless.
    Can he ďsaveĒ the pads by wiping the rotors and pads off with a rag with degreaser on?

mtbr member
    the pads are most likely a lost cause if you got Triflow on them.

you really should not need to clean the brake rotors often.

curious- where do you live and how sticky is the mud? where I live (central Texas), the trails are absolutely OFF LIMITS after a rain. if the trails are muddy, riding them will get you murdered by the locals because the mud is cakey. ride through a muddy trail once and you'll leave a rut in the trail that becomes a scar when it dries that will take a long time to clear.

my point is, be sure that riding in muddy conditions is OK where you live. some trails are fine when wet, others are not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Cleaning Help

Will the pads be lost if he had used WD40 on them instead of TriFlow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Will the pads be lost if he had used WD40 on them instead of TriFlow?
    yes. the only thing I can think of that won't ruin pads is water and isopropyl alcohol. regular WD-40 is generally a lousy lubricant for bike stuff (I know because I did that for many years when I was a kid), although the brand makes some bike-specific lubes that are decent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    yes. the only thing I can think of that won't ruin pads is water and isopropyl alcohol. regular WD-40 is generally a lousy lubricant for bike stuff (I know because I did that for many years when I was a kid), although the brand makes some bike-specific lubes that are decent.
    Thank you. WD40 being a lousy lubricant I thought it wouldnít affect the pads so bad.
    And yes, the bike specific lubes and products are decent.

Magically Delicious
    Is this a troll farm?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X