Cheap workstands: Park PCS-9 or Ultimate BRS-50R- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap workstands: Park PCS-9 or Ultimate BRS-50R

First of all, yes, I've read old threads on this general subject. I just haven't found much in the way of information directly comparing these 2 stands. I've located the Park PCS-9 at Alfred E. Bike for $73 including shipping and the Ultimate BRS-9 at Performance for about $95 including shipping. (As a footnote, the shipping at Alfred E Bike was only $7.50, but at Performance it's more like $20).

The obvious notable differences are that the Park breaks down into a smaller package for storage or travel and is height-adjustable. Can't comment on the clamp mech for the two stands. Anyone care to offer comments?
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    First of all, yes, I've read old threads on this general subject. I just haven't found much in the way of information directly comparing these 2 stands. I've located the Park PCS-9 at Alfred E. Bike for $73 including shipping and the Ultimate BRS-9 at Performance for about $95 including shipping. (As a footnote, the shipping at Alfred E Bike was only $7.50, but at Performance it's more like $20).

The obvious notable differences are that the Park breaks down into a smaller package for storage or travel and is height-adjustable. Can't comment on the clamp mech for the two stands. Anyone care to offer comments?
    I am looking for a stand also and everything that I have read on here is that people prefer Ultimate stands to the Park line. I have also read that the clamp on the BRS-50R is the same as the clamp on the next higher quality stand (Ultimate Consumer BRS-70B).
    If you are a performance member then you can get the BRS-50R for about $75 (you may have meant to say this above)

Kiwi
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutata

I have the Ultimate Pro stand and a friend has the BRS9. The clamps on both are great, but I've never used a Park. Two things to watch out for:

- don't underestimate the usefulness of height adjustment. I use it all the time, and I know my mate wishes his stand had it.

- look at the stability of the base, again the Ultimate Pro is definitely better than the BRS9, and I wouldn't want anything LESS stable than the Pro.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    The park clamp is very usefull, I use the ones that retail for like $400, nice big clamps.

The downside was that to get the thing to "slide" took a lot of lube and time, this was especially true when trying to remove a bike from the clamp. It simply wouldn't want to slide at first and required a good deal of break-in to get it sliding. During that time it was frustrating because you'd have to back off the knob instead of sliding it out, because no matter what it simply wouldn't slide out.

It worked fine after about a month of shop use.

The sliding clamps really give you the most options to work for as many frames as possible, that doesn't mean that the C-clamp won't work fine for you, but if you can afford it the sliders are probably the best way to do it.

My ultimate 80RT is on it's way
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth