Changed fluid -- brake noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Changed fluid -- brake noise

I carried my bike to the shop and they bled my brakes and put new pads on the back. The levers feel fine, the brakes stop great, but there is a really bad squeal. If I barely pull the brake, it stops. My pads are clearly rubbing the rotors. Last time I messed with my hydraulic brakes I screwed them up.

Is there a quick way to adjust this. I can't take the squeal much longer. Thanks.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think it's the material your pad are made out of- Did you break in your new pads?
    If not:
    (x10)- Pedal up to a quick pace and then come to a complete stop under gradual breaking.
    (x10)- Pedal up to a fast pace and then come to a complete stop under hard breaking.

mtbr member
    I haven't done exactly that, but they have definitely been broken in. I have ridden at least 30-40 miles on the pads.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Are you saying that your brake is dragging on the rotor all the time? If so,

1) check whether the rotor is true and all the rotor & caliper bolts are snug, To check the rotor, just sight through the caliper and watch the rotor spin between the pads... it shouldn't have much side-to-side movement.

2) ensure the wheel is fully seated in the dropouts and the QR springs aren't on inside-out (big end goes outwards)

3) loosen the caliper-mounting bolts about 1/4 to 1/2 turn, center the caliper on the rotor so you've got an equal gap on both sides, and fasten it in that position.

Start with that. Any good? And btw what brand & model of brake is it?

mtbr member
    Okay. As of yesterday, I noticed that it only squeals when I am pedaling. On downhills or coasting on flat sections, it doesn't make the noise. Only when I start pedaling.

That doesn't sound like it would be the rotor, but it is. I'll check the rotor alignment and everything this afternoon.

Does the fact that it only makes noise while pedaling help diagnose it??

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Some possibilities come to mind. If the hub's axle has bearing play, or if the freehub body (the part that lets the cogs freewheel when you coast) is coming loose from the hub shell that the spokes and rotor attach to, then I could imagine the rotor's position changing when you pedal.

Since that's not the easiest thing to diagnose long-distance, and since you just paid to have it worked on at the LBS, consider taking it back and asking them to help figure out what the deal is.

At work, we have a model of bike where the frame and rear axle flex enough that if I set the brake up drag-free when it's on my repair stand, it drags when I actually sit on the bike and ride it (and I'm only 155 pounds). So I have to fudge the adjustment on those, so they drag UNTIL someone actually gets on the bike and rides. Flex can sometimes be a contributing factor.