chain breaker for Shimano 12 speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

chain breaker for Shimano 12 speed

Does anyone know what the spec is that makes a chain breaker compatible with Shimano 12 speed chains?

Park Tool indicate that only a small subset of their tools are compatible but don't say why. My concern is that this could also mean I shouldn't be using any of my collection of multi tools to break a 12 speed chain either.

I just spent a lot of money on an Abbey Chain tool and while I'm sure it will perform spectacularly and last forever, the dimensions (specifically the space between the midplate and the base) is virtually identical to the $10 (and 12 year old) Axiom tool I carry in my hydration pack.

What damage do I risk doing if breaking a chain on the trail with a multi tool not spec'd for use with a 12 speed chain?

mtbr member
    Just about any tool can push a pin out successfully. More critical would be pushing in a Shimano pin if that's how you were joining the chain, but even Shimano has gone to quick links now so the chain tool is unimportant.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. I wondered if that might be the case, and I can't even remember the last time I pushed a Shimano pin INTO a chain. (KMC quick links worked fine even when Shimano wouldn't approve of them)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I touched base with the people at Abbey Tools and their recommendation is that you make sure that the space between the midplate and the base on your chain tool isn't large enough that the chain gets pried apart as you push the pin either in or out, which could damage the sideplates on the chain.

But unless the midplate floats, you're only ever going to have contact with both the upper and lower sideplates at the same time on a specific chain size (10, 11, or 12 speed). This gets more confusing, rather than less, as I look into it more deeply!