cane creek ZS -2- Mtbr.com
    E !

Cool-blue Rhythm cane creek ZS -2

Anyone have one of these? I installed one tonight and notice that the crownrace and lower bearing has a small gap. Close examination reveals that it is all snug. Is it probably just the dust seal doesn't cover the interface completely? Thats what it seems. Any issues/info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr "member"

I have a ZS-2 in my road bike

Quote Originally Posted by E !
    Anyone have one of these? I installed one tonight and notice that the crownrace and lower bearing has a small gap. Close examination reveals that it is all snug. Is it probably just the dust seal doesn't cover the interface completely? Thats what it seems. Any issues/info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Seems to have the same thing. The bearings don't seem to last too long on these headsets. Not sure if this gap adds to that. I have a FSA zero stack in my AC1. Not been too happy with either. I have a ZS to external headset adapter in my Dakar XLT with a FSA orbit extreme to go around the problem. I'm thinking about going to FSA on my roadie since they seem to do a bit better in the longevity department.

REEK

Bite Me.

ZS 2 gap

There is a gap there and I asked the guys at Cane Creek about it. I was told the older version of the ZS had the gap but that newer sets did not. I cannot confirm this as mine is from a 2002 Jamis Dakar Pro and I haven't seen the newer version. When I replaced the fork, the bearings in the headset were toast, soaking wet and the bearings were worthless. Cane Creek sent me new bearing set free of charge so I have no beef with their customer service, but the gap will allow water to penetrate. I now use a lizard skins headset boot to keep out water, and I regularly pack the gap with grease to seal it up, but I think it's a design flaw. It seems like there should be an o-ring or a spacer to fill the gap but Cane Creek says there isn't. Now I use only Chris Kings on my other bikes that aren't semi-integrated.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr "member"

There is an adapter

If you really want to go with Chris king on your Dakar, I know Giant makes an adapter for the ZS headsets so you can put a regular headset into the head tube. It will add about 1 or 1.5 cm to your total stack height. I think there was another manufacturer that made this adapter as well.

I have one and it works well in my Dakar. As soon as My AC1 headset dies, I'll probably order another adapter from my Giant dealer.

The adapter will work with any ZS headtube.

REEK