Bought an old Silca pump on ebay- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

Bought an old Silca pump on ebay

Wanted a little project so I decided to buy an older Silca pump from ebay. I bought one that's in rougher shape and didn't cost all that much. I've no idea exactly how old it is, since none of the people selling these things post pictures of the relevant bits for dating. The one I bought has a broken handle. I've found exact replacements online, but they're rather expensive for what they are, so I may just say to hell with keeping it as close to original as possible and put a wooden handle on. I'll post pics when I get it. I'll probably need to purchase some parts for it to get it working well again.

mtbr member
    Some Silca pumps have the date cast into the foot base. Mine is 86. All parts are available I just rebuilt mine. You can buy directly from Silca.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Some Silca pumps have the date cast into the foot base. Mine is 86. All parts are available I just rebuilt mine. You can buy directly from Silca.
    The internal parts are, at least. The handles...gotta find NOS or go with something not authentic.

I'll be looking for the date stamp once it shows up.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The internal parts are, at least. The handles...gotta find NOS or go with something not authentic.

I'll be looking for the date stamp once it shows up.

A broom handle, rasp, and some sandpaper would make short work of creating a decent replacement, assuming your handle is the one that is bolted on. If you know someone with a hobbyist lathe, that would work even better/look even closer to the original.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    A broom handle, rasp, and some sandpaper would make short work of creating a decent replacement, assuming your handle is the one that is bolted on. If you know someone with a hobbyist lathe, that would work even better/look even closer to the original.
    Nope. The handle this one comes with is the plastic one that I assume just threads on directly. Might have to get a little creative.

mtbr member
    I'd contact Silca to see if they can get you a handle. Mine has the plastic handle. These pumps will last forever.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

since 4/10/2009
    I'd contact Silca to see if they can get you a handle. Mine has the plastic handle. These pumps will last forever.
    Good point. Even if they don't have a supply of the old plastic handles, they might have something that's an easy retrofit.

since 4/10/2009
    chatted with some folks at Silca and they don't have any handles for the pump. looks like I'll be making something.

since 4/10/2009
    The pump arrived today. It def needs a rebuild. The piston gasket doesn't seal and the rubber bits inside the head are totally dry.

Can't tell if the gauge is still good but the pump as a whole is sound.

Looks like this one has the 323 reversible presta/schrader head. But I can't find a date stamp on it anywhere, so not sure exactly how old it is.

I am out of town for a few days, but will tear it down once I get home.

mtbr member
    Same exact pump I have. Bought mine new in 87-88. The date is on the bottom of the foot. Made from Columbus tubing. I did new gauge hose and internals on mine. Works perfect.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The piston gasket in those is made of leather, so it's usually just that they are dry, not non-functional. Pull it, and slather with whatever grease you have handy...it'll give you a chance to evaluate the check-valve, at any rate.

If the handle is held on with a large thread, just buy a coupling nut of the appropriate size, and epoxy/glue it to your handle of choice.

since 4/10/2009
    Same exact pump I have. Bought mine new in 87-88. The date is on the bottom of the foot. Made from Columbus tubing. I did new gauge hose and internals on mine. Works perfect.
    I was guessing a similar age on this one. I found one online that was labeled as a '79 (with a picture of the date stamp) and this one is notably newer. can't find a date stamp, though, even on the bottom of the foot. Would you mind taking a pic or two that shows its location? This pump was definitely used, as the bottom of the foot has the paint well worn, but it doesn't look SO heavily worn that any forged date marks should be also worn off.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The piston gasket in those is made of leather, so it's usually just that they are dry, not non-functional. Pull it, and slather with whatever grease you have handy...it'll give you a chance to evaluate the check-valve, at any rate.

If the handle is held on with a large thread, just buy a coupling nut of the appropriate size, and epoxy/glue it to your handle of choice.
    That's what I was going to do for a handle. But I didn't want it to be a total hack job, either, so I was planning to get a nice piece of somewhat large diameter hardwood dowel, sand it down a bit into a smooth shape, stain and seal it, and then use the coupling nut method you described. Might even drill it a bit to recess the nut into the new handle.

I get that I might be able to revive the old seal, and I might do that so I can evaluate the gauge. The gauge does have screws on the bottom that I think I've read can be used to zero it out, if it works. But a brand new one is only $11 from Silca, and supposedly the new ones are a touch thicker and more durable than the old ones. I absolutely have to buy new rubber, anyway. I suppose I could strip it down today to check it out. I was going to wait until I was back from my vacation so I could keep track of the parts, but I could just do the plunger to check the leather washer and evaluate the gauge.

*edit - FWIW, I pulled the plunger to check out the leather. It's still there and mostly intact, though a bit crumbly. I put a bit of Phil Wood Tenacious Oil on it and reinstalled to check the gauge. The gauge seems good, so I'll leave that and just replace the rubber and the leather. It has a hard bottom out "clunk" when pumping, and I'm wondering if there's supposed to be some sort of rubber bumper down there.

At any rate, I'm tempted to do a little bit of updating to this pump, too. The existing rubber hose is a bit on the short side and tends to flop all over the place. It's a bit of a PITA to manage when I want to set the pump off to the side. I'm sure that's partly because the 2nd hose keeper on the handle is gone. But I'm thinking about putting a new, longer hose on it so I can manage the hose better.

I also might put on a new pump head eventually. I have a newer silca-style presta head that came with my prestaflator and I put that in my toolbox more or less permanently because I got tired of whacking my knuckles on the cassette or the brake disc when removing it. I ended up getting a silca (new) "crack pipe" disc-wheel presta head for that. I've also had my eye on the Hiro chuck. If I put one of these onto the hose, I'd be able to use my current "crackpipe" head and add a Hiro head later. It's also tempting to buy a few of these so I can make all my pumps compatible with the same presta chucks. The prestaflator more or less already has one on it (albeit a much cheaper version).

since 4/10/2009
    Ordered some service parts today.

I ended up ordering the bits from Silca individually. Saved a decent amount of money that way, since it doesn't appear that I really needed a new gauge, and since the hose Silca sells is an EXACT replacement for the stock one. I wanted a longer hose, so ended up ordering 6ft of 3/16" rubber air hose from McMaster Carr. Happens to be rated for slightly higher pressures than the one Silca sells, not like it matters much.

I added a couple bits that weren't in the service kit, too.

Got a threaded schraeder chuck like I mentioned above. Also a hardware kit to hold the leather gasket that replaces the old nylon insert nut. I read a few complaints from people who have cracked that nylon bit and complained that they couldn't obtain a replacement. Apparently they didn't think hard enough since you can use some nuts and washers instead.