Blackburn digital shock pump issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Blackburn digital shock pump issues

I just purchased a Blackburn Honest Digital Shock pump and it's really hard to get pressure precise. One pump increases air pressure in my fork by 30psi. And releasing air for just a millisecond can drop pressure by 40psi. Either something is wrong with this pump or I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone with experience with this pump have similar issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I just purchased a Blackburn Honest Digital Shock pump and it's really hard to get pressure precise. One pump increases air pressure in my fork by 30psi. And releasing air for just a millisecond can drop pressure by 40psi. Either something is wrong with this pump or I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone with experience with this pump have similar issues?
    Dumb question but are you sure air is getting through the valve core and into the tire? Only way I can imagine the pressure jumping by that much is if only the hose is pressurizing. Unless, of course, the pump gauge is bad...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's a shock pump, not for tires. But yeah, it's threading properly. If I release all of the air from the fork, then start from zero, the pump works properly and inflates at about 1-1.5 PSI per pump. But once it's pressurized, if I remove the gauge then reinsert it and try to adjust air pressure, that's when it gets wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Dumb question but are you sure air is getting through the valve core and into the tire? Only way I can imagine the pressure jumping by that much is if only the hose is pressurizing. Unless, of course, the pump gauge is bad...

mtbr member
    Sounds like maybe you're not threading it on far enough to open the poppet in the schrader valve. If you are threading it on all the way and still have the problem, then it sounds like there's something wrong with the chuck on the pump.

These valves and chucks are designed such that when removing the chuck, the poppet closes before air is released from the connection so that the correct pressure remains in the shock/fork. Because of this, they require a bit more twisting on then a tire type chuck.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I thought the same at first. But it's threaded all the way in, and still isn't working properly. Several times I've released all the air in the fork, then install the gauge and it works perfectly. Then I remove the gauge, reinstall it once the fork is pressurized and it doesn't work. No clue why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Sounds like maybe you're not threading it on far enough to open the poppet in the schrader valve. If you are threading it on all the way and still have the problem, then it sounds like there's something wrong with the chuck on the pump.

These valves and chucks are designed such that when removing the chuck, the poppet closes before air is released from the connection so that the correct pressure remains in the shock/fork. Because of this, they require a bit more twisting on then a tire type chuck.

high pivot witchcraft
    I have read that all of the digital pumps are rebranded pumps from one or two manufacturers. I agree with the comments above. If you still can't get it to function properly after messing around with it, return it.

I had a wonky RockShox branded digital pump* that I returned because it was doing all sorts of whack shit, along the lines you are suggesting. The replacement pump has been trouble-free, and is going on its 3rd full season without a hitch (and on the same battery).

*Last RockShox/SRAM product I ever own in this lifetime or the next, but I digress....
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I read the same. Heading to my LBS later to return the gauge. This is why I shop local for stuff like this. Makes returning things much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have read that all of the digital pumps are rebranded pumps from one or two manufacturers. I agree with the comments above. If you still can't get it to function properly after messing around with it, return it.

I had a wonky RockShox branded digital pump that I returned because it was doing all sorts of whack shit, along the lines you are suggesting. The replacement is going on its 3rd full season without a hitch.

*Last RockShox/SRAM product I ever own in this lifetime or the next, but I digress....