mtbr member

Bike Work Stands

Looking for some opinions on bike work racks, I'd like to keep it between $50 to %100 I just want something portable and durable and that has a seat tube clamp because my frame is carbon so I would like to stay away from frame clamps

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey Jake07. You might want to post this up in the "Tooltime" section. You might get more action over there. I use the Feedback Sports Pro-Elite Work Stand and have used it for 6 years with no issues. I do not work for them in any way. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I bought this one after watching this video for $54 shipped.
    https://youtu.be/MLPsb0WCcYw
    2017 Diamondback Catch 1 FS 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I actually just bought this one and it's holding up really well so far and you cant beat the price at $35 free ship

MTB Bicycle Maintenance Mechanic Repair Tool Rack Work Stand Holder 43"-71" L0K9 | eBay

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
    I bought this one after watching this video for $54 shipped.
    https://youtu.be/MLPsb0WCcYw
    I can vouch for this one, pretty strong except the plastic bits but with care it should last.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Hey Jake07. You might want to post this up in the "Tooltime" section. You might get more action over there. I use the Feedback Sports Pro-Elite Work Stand and have used it for 6 years with no issues. I do not work for them in any way. YMMV.
    The Feedback is pricey but should last a VERY long time so it's more of an investment than a splurge...IMO. Mine is 5 years old I think and not even close to wearing out or having issues. holds my 30+ pound full suspension just fine with no worries it's going to break. And I use my stand a lot. Even as a wash stand. I know you said $100 at most but you might consider saving up for something like the Feedback. Buy once, cry once.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev711 View Post
    I actually just bought this one and it's holding up really well so far and you cant beat the price at $35 free ship

MTB Bicycle Maintenance Mechanic Repair Tool Rack Work Stand Holder 43"-71" L0K9 | eBay
    Can you clamp onto the seat tube instead of the top tube with this one?

mtbr member
    Did you watch the video? It shows the clamp on the seat post. Most if not all are designed like that. If your bike is carbon you don't want to clamp on the frame at all. And if you have a carbon post you probably should hang the bike from the saddle or have an alloy post you can swap out and use to clamp onto when using the stand.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I have a Park Tool one but I also have a cheaper one and have friends with other stands.

It's hard to buy a terrible stand these days. They have been refined, the herd thinned and even the cheap ones work well. They are not quite as steady or easy to use as the best ones but they do the job just fine.

If I was buying again and wanted a good one I'd go for a Feedback stand. One thing often overlooked is the hight the stand goes to. It wasn't so important when everyone was clamping on the top-tube but going up to the seat-post drops the bike quite a bit. The Feedback stands go a full 200mm higher than my Park stand and it's a big deal. As standard the Park holds the bike too low to work on the lower areas of the bike comfortably. In fact I replaced the upper tube on the Park to give it more hight. Works, but you shouldn't have to do that.

So yeah, check the max clamp hight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I have a Park Tool one but I also have a cheaper one and have friends with other stands.

It's hard to buy a terrible stand these days. They have been refined, the herd thinned and even the cheap ones work well. They are not quite as steady or easy to use as the best ones but they do the job just fine.

If I was buying again and wanted a good one I'd go for a Feedback stand. One thing often overlooked is the hight the stand goes to. It wasn't so important when everyone was clamping on the top-tube but going up to the seat-post drops the bike quite a bit. The Feedback stands go a full 200mm higher than my Park stand and it's a big deal. As standard the Park holds the bike too low to work on the lower areas of the bike comfortably. In fact I replaced the upper tube on the Park to give it more hight. Works, but you shouldn't have to do that.

So yeah, check the max clamp hight.
    I have a Park PCS 9. It's OK, but I'm not overly impressed. Out of the box, the spring button, which is the only thing that keeps the leg yoke from sliding up and stand collapsing, was too short. I had it collapse a couple of time with a bike on it. I wrote Park Tool. They sent me a new spring button, but it turned out to be the same spring button. They finally figured out that they'd had a shipment batch of spring buttons that were too short. Great. They sent me the correct one, but by that time I'd already drilled a hole through post and yoke for a hitch pin. No collapsing now. Otherwise, the stand lacks a lot of the niceties of the PCS10. I like that it's steel, yet still foldable and portable, and it is cheaper than some stands like the Feedback. It does hold the bike well, either by seat post or frame, and the height is fine. It will bring the derailleur to eye level for me, but not a big deal because I mostly sit on a rolling work stool. I don't like having the bike that high at eye level. All-in-all, the PCS 9 is cost effective, and very functional, but if I had it to do over, I'd spend the extra money for the PCS-10 from Park.

Dirt Bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev711 View Post

I have to note that when I looked at the stand in this link, the first thing I noticed was that the bike has the fork installed backwards.

I've used a bunch of the Feedbacks and the Parks. Never used any of the cheapo's. I got the high end Feedback a bunch of years back cause it's the best I've used outside of the non-portables in the shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The stand has some pretty good weight to it and seems very solid with no wobbling but the clamps are plastic. I haven't tried clamping the seatpost yet but I imagine that if I tried, the weight of the bike would make the bike's front end swing down since the clamps are plastic. I'm still happy with it though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    All-in-all, the PCS 9 is cost effective, and very functional, but if I had it to do over, I'd spend the extra money for the PCS-10 from Park.
    It's the PCS-10 I have, and I'd buy a Feedback ;0)

It might be slightly more user-friendly but the bottom line is that it's still very crude and weighs about the same as a small container ship! The ergonomic woes of the PCS-9 are not resolved on the PCS-10, they are just slightly less woeful.

I also disagree on the hight. If yours gets the bottom bracket to eye level I'm assuming you are a dwarf? Just check out the specified heights of the PCS-10 and Feedbacks stands, Feedback wins by a long way.

mtbr member
    Yeah....I couldn't imagine my bike's bb being at eye level. Maybe if I'm sitting on a 5 gallon bucket but certainly not while standing. Not sure I'd ever have the need to have it at eye level anyways other than to look in to make sure it was clean or free from damage. My Feedback gets my bikes as high as I'd ever need them and I'm 6'2".
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Yeah....I couldn't imagine my bike's bb being at eye level. Maybe if I'm sitting on a 5 gallon bucket but certainly not while standing.
    I've swapped the top pole on my stand, it's now about 20cm taller, pretty sure the bottom-bracket is still not at eye level.

mtbr member
    I also disagree on the hight. If yours gets the bottom bracket to eye level I'm assuming you are a dwarf? Just check out the specified heights of the PCS-10 and Feedbacks stands, Feedback wins by a long way.
    If you need the height of a Feedback Pro Elite, I'm assuming that you're a giraffe?

You can disagree all you want, but it's a personal preference thing, isn't it? The utility of having a stand (Feedback) that will allow a a working height of 71 inches is, for me, precisely zero. There might be good reasons to get a Feedbakc Pro Elite over one of the Park stands, but I seriously doubt that a 6 foot working height is one of them. Unless you are a giraffe. Throw in the $80-plus premium that you pay for the Feedback and choice of bike stands is pretty clear to me.

mtbr member
    Has nothing to do with the height and everything about a nicer stand. The Feedback is a better stand unless you are talking about a Park shop stand.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    If you need the height of a Feedback Pro Elite, I'm assuming that you're a giraffe?
    What are you talking about? We all make mistakes. The adult thing to do is admit it and move on.

You said the The park PCS-9 put the dérailleur at eye level. That stand has a maximum clamp hight of 57 inches, that is just over four-foot seven. That's hight of the clamp!

Unless you're a pretty short dude the clamp is not even at your eye level, so please explain to me how the heck you can mount your bike so that the dérailleur is higher than the clamp? A picture perhaps?

mtbr member
    Unless you're a pretty short dude the clamp is not even at your eye level, so please explain to me how the heck you can mount your bike so that the dérailleur is higher than the clamp? A picture perhaps?
    Pretty sure this is him....it all makes sense now....

Bike Work Stands-midgetcyclist.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    To be honest, I don't care enough about the resolution of the issue to argue it with you. It would clearly be a waste of time for both of us. Let's just say, you're right, I'm wrong, you win.

mtbr member
    To be honest, I don't care enough about the resolution of the issue to argue it with you. It would clearly be a waste of time for both of us.
    Duno, I enjoy it frankly. But I am always right, you'll figure that out ;0)

Magically Delicious
    Resistance is futile.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Bike Work Stands-the_children_tyrion_with_bow_s4.jpg

Enthusiast
    \One thing often overlooked is the hight the stand goes to. ... The Feedback stands go a full 200mm higher than my Park stand and it's a big deal.
    I LOVE the height on my Feedback. The ability to get the bike "up there" is one of my favorite features. My back appreciates not having to be bent over all the time. Photo below showing the height in use earlier this very evening for a bit of post-crash rotor truing.

Bike Work Stands-20170914_174212-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    ive seen quite a few used ones local im gonna try out most likely. but definitely want a nice tall stand to keep my back happy as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collossus11 View Post
    ive seen quite a few used ones local im gonna try out most likely. but definitely want a nice tall stand to keep my back happy as well.
    Like I said, one advantage of the Park PCS-10 is that the upper section of the upright is just a plain tube. You can unbolt it from the head and swap it for a longer tube. I used a piece of stainless steel exhaust pipe, nice and shiny, and cheap. It is slightly larger diameter then the original tube but I persuaded it ;0)