bent drop-out- Mtbr.com

Thread: bent drop-out

mtbr member

bent drop-out

My son pretzeled his rear derailleur, the pivot bolt sheared off. The bike is a low end TREK that doesn't have a derailleur hanger. The drop out is slightly bent.

Has anyone sucessfully strightened an aluminum drop out and how was it done, bang it with a hammer or bent with a tool like a crescent wrench?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT SAR.

www.justthebonnet.com
    Park tools makes a drop-out alighment tool. ANy lbs should have and the tool and it should cost much to bend it back. Really its a 10 minute job to do at the maximum.<p>
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1.shtml
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Are you talking to me?

Woah, slow down there, slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Park tools makes a drop-out alighment tool. ANy lbs should have and the tool and it should cost much to bend it back. Really its a 10 minute job to do at the maximum.<p>
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1.shtml

I agree, somewhat. (But we have not seen any pictures.)

It MAY be possible to fix. we are not able to say one way or another, without photos at the least.

What model is it? Are you sure that it is AL and not steel? Most (if not all) of Trek's Al bikes have replaceable der. hangers.

Steel can usually be fixed with a crescent wrench. Just be sure of what is going on. You only want to bend it back once. The dropout will weaken more, as it is bent more.
    gfy

www.justthebonnet.com
    Slow down slick as well. Santa cruz superlights have a one piece aluminum hanger that can be bent back and then aligned. Yes it does slighty weaken it, but its either that or junk the frame? They can be bent numerous time without any ill effect.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

Are you talking to me?

Youare kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Slow down slick as well. Santa cruz superlights have a one piece aluminum hanger that can be bent back and then aligned. Yes it does slighty weaken it, but its either that or junk the frame? They can be bent numerous time without any ill effect.

The bike in question is a low end Trek, not a Superlight.( I happen to work for a Trek dealer, so I am VERY familiar with their lineup) Second, ANY time that you bend Al or steel after it has been treated there are "ill effects".

You stated earlier that the dropout could be fixed, without having more info. Personally, I could care less hou YOU fix a bent dropout, I was trying to help the original poster.

What is the problem? Upset at SC for not building a replaceable hanger on your Superlight?
    gfy

mtbr member
    I am also beginning work at a trek dealer as a mechanic and i know you can bend them back. When we get the 820's from the factory many of the dropouts are bent and there is a special tool that you MUSt use. Bring it to the LBS because as confident as you are with a hammer and a wrench you will never get it straight and weaken the metal too much. $5-10 fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

www.justthebonnet.com
    Thank you, its a simple fix like I stated, $10. And I've never bent my SL dropout. So there
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

Are you talking to me?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bender
    I am also beginning work at a trek dealer as a mechanic and i know you can bend them back. When we get the 820's from the factory many of the dropouts are bent and there is a special tool that you MUSt use. Bring it to the LBS because as confident as you are with a hammer and a wrench you will never get it straight and weaken the metal too much. $5-10 fix

They are callled dropout alaignment tools, as you said. I never said that is is not a quick fix, but and time that you bend heat treated metal, it gets weaker. However, sight unseen, there is now way that we can be quoting a price for this fix. It is very easy to say it is an easy fix, but that is not always true.
    gfy

Are you talking to me?

That was my original question.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bender

Is the bike steel, or Al? THe original poster says that the bike has no hanger, (steel) but then goes on to ask about bending Al droupouts. Without that info, the answer is dead in the water.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Just to update, it is a TREK 3700. It is alum.

While I'm very handy and have lots o tools, i think i will let the pros handle this one. I just don't want to put $150.00 into a $250.00 bike.

Thanks for the resposses, you guys are great.

Tom
    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT SAR.

Are you talking to me?

3700 is Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas15
    Just to update, it is a TREK 3700. It is alum.

While I'm very handy and have lots o tools, i think i will let the pros handle this one. I just don't want to put $150.00 into a $250.00 bike.

Thanks for the resposses, you guys are great.

Tom

Let the pro's handle straightening an Al dropout.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Good idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls