mtbr member
    Nov 2016

BB Pedal Chain Whip Tool Project

Hey guys. I've picked up yet another small project, this time working on a multitool. Though this isn't a typical pocket sized folding tool. I wanted to carry around some tools for longer rides without carrying much weight. The three tools I focused on combining were pedal wrench, bottom bracket spanner and a chain whip. This wrench works with shimano external bearing bottom brackets, 9/16 and 15mm pedals, and has two style of hooks for working as a chain whip. It also conveniently works well as a bottle opener like every other bike tool in existence.

I had this prototype manufactured at a local shop here in California out of titanium. It weights 130g and seems to work really well. There are a few minor changes I would make but for a prototype I'm happy with it. I plan on using it heavily over the next few weeks to make sure its tough enough. If it is and if you guys like the idea I plan on launching a Kickstarter early December to produce 50 to 100 of them. I don't have a price figured out yet. I also don't know if I would sell them with a raw titanium finish or have them plated, painted or polished. Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas of how I could incorporate some tool you would want on a long multi day trip.

Thanks for the feedback.

BB Pedal Chain Whip Tool Project-screen-shot-2017-11-17-7.31.44-pm.jpgBB Pedal Chain Whip Tool Project-screen-shot-2017-11-17-7.32.02-pm.jpg

Magically Delicious
    Your idea is very innovative. Some might find a need for this type of 'combined' tools, but for me personally, I wouldn't be a buyer for several reasons.

I have been riding for more than 30 years and multiple tens of thousands of trail miles. I have a solid selection of specialty bike and component tools. With the exception of the bottle opener, I have never needed a BB tool, chain whip or pedal wrench on the trail. I have SPD XT pedals with no spindle flats; only a hex for removal. I see these needs as shop tools and therefore I have individual shop tools for those applications. I can see this being used as a combined shop tool, but not one for the trail. Some might though.

I'm sure someone out there has experienced a need for a 'like' tool on the trail, I just never have. So based on my personal experience and desire to travel light, I can't see the need for this. A Crank Brothers M-19 covers about all of my needs for backcountry travel.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Great innovative work. I like this kind of stuff, it might not work for every one but it can for some.

I did sort of need a chain-whip a number of years ago when I hit a big rock which threw my chain (bent the deraileur up) in behind my cassette and jammed in to the spokes.

I managed to take the wheel out by removing the derailleur jockey wheels. I then used a rock and a screw driver to tap the lock ring out while having someone hold the cassette with gloves and a rag. Once I got the cassette off, I got the chain out and removed about 6 links as the chain was twisted about 90 degrees on these links.

Got the bike back together with the shorter chain and was up and running again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that it may not be a tool used on every ride but I always like to be prepared for anything. I myself have only needed to use a BB tool on one ride after assembling my new bike. I used too much grease on the BB threads so It came loose. This incident was the original spark for the multi wrench project.

I'll keep going with this project and will hopefully launch a Kickstarter in a few weeks. It may not be useful for everyone but if it helps a few guys out then its totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, a lot of people won't see the need for such a tool but that's not the point. Some people probably will, bike-packers maybe, but I do think you could sell enough to make it worth the effort.

My problem would be that I don't see any reason why other manufacturers can't just copy it. It's an interesting combination of functions but there are enough similar types of tool out there that I can see you having a hard job patenting it?

Magically Delicious

Here's where I can see a buyer

I see this as a marketable tool to the guy that needs a simple, compact and functional tool for the shop or trail head travel toolbox.

My thought is that its multi-role funtionabllity has appeal for that application. I particularly like the ability to detach the chain for eased use.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Like others have said, a lot of people won't see the need for such a tool but that's not the point. Some people probably will, bike-packers maybe, but I do think you could sell enough to make it worth the effort.

My problem would be that I don't see any reason why other manufacturers can't just copy it. It's an interesting combination of functions but there are enough similar types of tool out there that I can see you having a hard job patenting it?
    His options for a patent went out the window the moment he posted this.

Some feedback as somebody that runs a tool company. 9/16" pedals are for entry level department store bikes, ditch that tool for something else or nothing at all but the people that are potential customers for a Ti multi tool are never going to use it. Balancing multiple functions on the same tool is tough. keeping one function from compromising another is a challenging task to say the least. With that compromise in mind, make sure you've got nice radi on all your cut outs so when you need to put your palm square in the pedal wrench slot it doesn't hurt too bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    From what I have read a patent is a difficult and costly process. It's something I simply can't afford to do right now with limited funds and time. I'm also not too worried about posting pictures of this stuff on forums. I have enough faith in the bike community to not get completely screwed over. (I hope I don't live to regret this decision. hahaha)

Thanks for the feedback Customfab. You are completely right about the 9/16 wrench. I use one all the time when I donate time as a mechanic at the local bike workshop which is why I included it. But, Im usually working on low end bikes. For now I'll include it until I come up with something better to replace it.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by legopro87 View Post
    From what I have read a patent is a difficult and costly process. It's something I simply can't afford to do right now with limited funds and time. I'm also not too worried about posting pictures of this stuff on forums. I have enough faith in the bike community to not get completely screwed over. (I hope I don't live to regret this decision. hahaha)
    I've had tools blatantly ripped off and key features liberated by companies big and small. Once in a while it's flattering or an evolution of what I created. But most of the time it's just ****ing rude. I'm not suggesting you should or even could get a patent on this but don't have faith in our industry to do the right thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    ...don't have faith in our industry to do the right thing.
    If there idea of getting it made in China even crosses your mind they'll rip it off before you can blink.

Mudhorse
    That's kinda neat, but I wouldn't put any effort into developing it further as there's really no need for a chain whip, pedal spanner or BB wrench in a trail toolkit. I did have a pedal come loose one time, but I was able to tighten it up with the hex socket that all decent pedals come with these days. If you're really determined to develop the chain whip concept then it needs an extra section on the lever fulcrum to prevent the tool slipping off the cog and mangling cassette and knuckles both. On most chain whips this takes the form of a short loop of chain attached to the lever at both ends. As well as keeping the tool in place it also allows for decent leverage by enabling a proper lever angle - with the angle of the tool shown in the photo it's going to be very hard to get enough torque, even with a thick leather glove to protect the palm of the hand. Those cassette lockrings are on tight, about 45 Nm to tighten so generally more than that to remove.

If you want to make something out of titanium, how about this: A decent lightweight chain breaking tool. There's a gap in the market for one of those, and I'd certainly buy one. A replaceable pin would be nice, and it should be possible to sneak a bottle opener in there somewhere. Bonus points if you include a feature that stores a spare quick link.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. I really do appreciate it. I like the chain breaker idea. I'll add it to my list of fun projects to look into.

I've went ahead and put together a Youtube video showing the tool. I'm also about to launch the Kickstarter campaign. It will go live sometime in the next few days. I've set my goal at selling a small batch of 20 tools. At this amount the best I can get the price down is $80. ($60 for the first two backers.) This of course includes shipping, taxes and a bunch of Kickstarter fees. Depending on how successful it is the price could come down later on with high volumes.

As a side note. I'm not sure if Im breaking any forum rules but I figured I would post this in the bike packer section too. If anyone benefits from this tool it would be those guys.

Here's a link to the kickstarter page:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=7f9b7277

Here's a link to the video:https://youtu.be/3IwvztsVnOU
    https://youtu.be/3IwvztsVnOU