mtbr member
    May 2008

Axle Vice for Rear Hub

My end dust caps on my rear hub screw on and off so I need an axle vice to get them off. Will the Park AV-1 do the trick? - https://www.parktool.com/product/axle-vise-av-1

I can't find what diameters it is. Pretty sure my hub has a 12mm TA
    Last edited by bank5; 07-14-2018 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have one of those and it works pretty well for quick release axles front and rear.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
    I have one of those and it works pretty well for quick release axles front and rear.
    Do you think it would work for a 12mm TA too? I could get the AV-5 but it's $20 more and something I won't use that much.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Do you think it would work for a 12mm TA too? I could get the AV-5 but it's $20 more and something I won't use that much.
    I don't think so. it's for 9 and 10mm axles. The caps on a 12mm thru axle are going to be much larger than that.. maybe 14mm?

Maybe use a vise grip with the axle in there and something to shield the metal from damage.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    I don't think so. it's for 9 and 10mm axles. The caps on a 12mm thru axle are going to be much larger than that.. maybe 14mm?

Maybe use a vise grip with the axle in there and something to shield the metal from damage.
    ok thanks. I tried previously with an old inner tube and the axle was slipping too much. Seems like I may need to go with - https://www.parktool.com/product/axl...tabbed-section I'm assuming that will work but wonder if anyone can confirm

DOOM
    I have the AV-1 and the AV-5.

AV-5 will work just fine for this application. You can also use soft jaws in a vise or some good pliers like Knipex pliers depending on the hub.

With my calipers a Hope Pro 4 12mm end cap is 18.5/18.6 mm OD. I don't know if other 12mm end caps are similar or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just measured a DT 12mm thru axle and it has an 18.5mm OD, so it will not work. You will need to get a bigger one. Are you sure that your 12mm endcaps do not have flats for a wrench? Most of them do. You need cone wrenches, but they work.

Plays with tools
    Unior does a slick tool for removing end caps for thru axle hubs.

Unior d.d. | Hand tools

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Unior does a slick tool for removing end caps for thru axle hubs.

Unior d.d. | Hand tools
    Cool tool, but will it work with the threaded end caps? I think maybe in combination with vise grips, but not alone.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Also, OP...it's axle vise. Look at your own link. Please. Unless you're talking about a figure skater with an addiction problem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
    Just measured a DT 12mm thru axle and it has an 18.5mm OD, so it will not work. You will need to get a bigger one. Are you sure that your 12mm endcaps do not have flats for a wrench? Most of them do. You need cone wrenches, but they work.
    They do have flats for cone wrenches, so getting the first one off is easy. But how would I get the other side off without using something to prevent the axle from spinning

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    I have the AV-1 and the AV-5.

AV-5 will work just fine for this application. You can also use soft jaws in a vise or some good pliers like Knipex pliers depending on the hub.

With my calipers a Hope Pro 4 12mm end cap is 18.5/18.6 mm OD. I don't know if other 12mm end caps are similar or not.
    Good to know, thanks. I guess I could go with something like this - https://www.amazon.com/TRISENSE-Magn...aw%2Bvise&th=1

or some soft jaw pliers - https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J253G...oft+jaw+pliers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Also, OP...it's axle vise. Look at your own link. Please. Unless you're talking about a figure skater with an addiction problem.
    I realised that after I submited the thred. Didn't think any won would kare but i updated it now

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I realised that after I submited the thred. Didn't think any won would kare but i updated it now
    It must be hard sometimes to be so clever. smh

P.S. Not that I care, but if you bothered to fix it, why is it not fixed?

mtbr member
    I'm looking for some advise on axel vice's for a rode wheels with disc break.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Drill holes in a block of wood and saw trough it. cheap and you can make it any size you like.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    It must be hard sometimes to be so clever. smh

P.S. Not that I care, but if you bothered to fix it, why is it not fixed?
    I was just poking fun at myself. I don't take things too seriously on here but definitely appreciate all the helpful advice in this thread and others that I've posted.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Drill holes in a block of wood and saw trough it. cheap and you can make it any size you like.
    I was about to suggest that, but as I've been pipped to the post I shall instead second Mr Pig's excellent suggestion. For half the price of a Park AV-5 vice* clamp you can buy a serviceable set of wood drill bits and you can make free tube clamps all day long. I made a 3-hole set recently for clamping the various bits of a Reverb seatpost - worked a treat.

If you've got a bit of an odd sized tube that doesn't quite match an available drill bit size then use the next size up and wrap a bit of leather or rubber around the tube to pad out the gap.

* Perfectly cromulent spelling on this side of the Pond, except our "vise grips" are called "Mole grips", after the company rather than any clamping application for small furry burrowing insectivorous mammals. Mole grips are also popular improvised steering wheel substitutes.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    ..except our "vise grips" are called "Mole grips", after the company rather than any clamping application..
    In the UK a vice is a bench-mounted clamp, usually large. Mole grips are hand-held locking pliers.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    In the UK a vice is a bench-mounted clamp, usually large. Mole grips are hand-held locking pliers.
    There was a delightful small classified ad in a local newspaper someone spotted once: "Good strong vice - 10". Bargain! I'll have whiskey and cigars, cheers.

I do actually have a set of "Mole" grips that have the legend "VISE GRIPS" on the handle, but only because I bought them in the States. They're rarely referred to as "vice grips" in Blighty; it's either "mole grips" (whether they're Mole brand or not) or unimaginative but literal "locking pliers".

For years I got by with a cheap Chinese set of mole grips, until one day I went to clamp a drop link on my car's front suspension and completely crushed the handles, cutting up my palm as the sharp chrome plating lifted up. It was a revelation owning a decent pair after that, as not only can't I crush them with one hand, the jaws actually have sharp teeth that bite in nicely. I do like American tools, they tend to be a much higher quality for the same price I'd pay for something lesser in the UK.

Anyhoo, I'm kinda straying off topic here. Bank5 was talking about some kinda "vise jaw plates", which I would call "vice jaw plates". Those are usually jaw inserts with fibre/fiber, rubber or aluminium/aluminum faces, for use when clamping something in a vice/vise that you don't want knacked/damaged. Mole/vise grips will clamp an axle end cap firmly, but they will leave deep teeth marks. I must admit I've used a 1-ton bench vice before to pull off stubborn axle end caps and as long as you don't clamp any area that contacts the frame they'll be functionally fine, just a bit chewed-looking.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.