Advance parts for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Advance parts for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?

I have a 2016 Giant Toughroad. I'd like to service the Wheel bearings and have the bike back on the road quickly. Is it possible for me to call Giant and advance order the cartridge/ needle/ or free bearings to have them ahead of time on hand before I service? Or do most people open everything up and then make the order?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This bike has Cone/cup bearings. You can buy generic Grade 10 balls off amazon. I think 1/4" in rear and the smaller size in front.

My advice is to have all supplies on-hand before you start the work. Unless you are OK to have the bike down for days. You also need grease, cleaner etc. it is a generic cone hub, so google for procedures.

BTW, the rear freehub starts to wiggle at some point when it wears out. That is how I ended up with a new Shimano hub, so much better. those wheels aren't the worst, but far from good. The only good thing, you can set them up tubeless.

I needed up building new wheels with 30mm ID front and 2.15" tire and 25mm ID in rear and 2" tire. So much better ride.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

Magically Delicious
    Are you referring to servicing the bearings or replace them?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Are you referring to servicing the bearings or replace them?
    Probably, both!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeu View Post
    This bike has Cone/cup bearings. You can buy generic Grade 10 balls off amazon. I think 1/4" in rear and the smaller size in front.

My advice is to have all supplies on-hand before you start the work. Unless you are OK to have the bike down for days. You also need grease, cleaner etc. it is a generic cone hub, so google for procedures.

BTW, the rear freehub starts to wiggle at some point when it wears out. That is how I ended up with a new Shimano hub, so much better. those wheels aren't the worst, but far from good. The only good thing, you can set them up tubeless.

I needed up building new wheels with 30mm ID front and 2.15" tire and 25mm ID in rear and 2" tire. So much better ride.
    Thanks. Do you have a Tough Ride? I just got ahold of one, a 2016 SLR 1. Its a really nice bike. The previous owner really neglected it, possibly stored it outside. It fell into the hands of a bike flipper, at which point I bought it.
    I can't understand how someone would do that to such a nice bike.
    I mean this is really a good bike and I'd like to take it up those 5000' mountains with roads this spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mph View Post
    Thanks. Do you have a Tough Ride? I just got ahold of one, a 2016 SLR 1. Its a really nice bike. The previous owner really neglected it, possibly stored it outside. It fell into the hands of a bike flipper, at which point I bought it.
    I can't understand how someone would do that to such a nice bike.
    I mean this is really a good bike and I'd like to take it up those 5000' mountains with roads this spring.
    I have a 2016 Toughroad. It is the only hybrid I know that allows wider tires. Most others limit to 1.75".

It is a bit dated now with QR and I still would like more clearance. the wouldn't allow the 2.15" with enough clearance. and I would like a bit less than 72 degree HA. but haven't found a valid alternative.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

I found the bearings on Amazon but I can't identify the correct Shimano Freehub? Do you by chance remember what Shimano Freehub is the correct one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-bearings.png  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The rear is 1/4 and the front likely 3/16". that is TYPICAL for cone hubs. EXCEPTIIONS exist. Front USUALLLY is smaller. If you buy that assortment, you will have what you need. Just double-check the size and number once you open the hub. I just go by memory here, don't rely on me. Don't put in too many or too few. Clean properly and add grease. I use boat trailer grease, which is cheap and displaces water. but you can buy the very same grease at a higher price with the word "bicycle" in it.

The hub on the TR is generic (Giant brand). the freehub is not serviceable, you need to buy a new one. I just ended up buying a new actual Shimano hub since that cost less than the Giant freehub.

When you have the cassette on, wiggle it sideways. if the large cog moves left/right by a mm at the teeth, you will get shifting problems... the freehub bearings are shot. Ask me how I know that this is a cheap hub....
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    So I find a hub that matches DT360?

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/giant/giant-slr-1-wheels-hub-363329.html

"SLR 0 = DT 350 Hub (Ratchet, 18T I think)
    SLR 1 = DT 360/370 (Basically the same hub as above, but different freehub body and drive ring. 3-Pawl system. Can be upgraded to the ratchet system but you need special tools to uninstall the old drive ring and install the new drive ring plus the ratchet kit of course)"

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What you linked to I believe is a cartridge bearing hub. The Giant hub is cup/cone. Basically like most Shimano hubs, except cheaper.
    I don't know who makes the Giant hub, but it sure is not a premium manufacturer. Probably Formula or Novatec or some other bottom-of-barrel manufacturer.

If you don't have problems with the hub, just service and ride it.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ I agree. Just service the bearings with a dis-assembly, clean, inspect, grease re-assemble and ride. Do you have the basic skill set and tools to do this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    thanks ,HerrKaLeu i guess it will become clear when I open it up

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    ^^^ I agree. Just service the bearings with a dis-assembly, clean, inspect, grease re-assemble and ride. Do you have the basic skill set and tools to do this?
    Yes,I do, but sometimes I don't have the time and energy and enthusiasm like when I was a kid, spending days and hours and all night rebuilding cars and engines.
    This is a rotary from an RX7 I rebuilt from chassis on up in two months when I was 30.
    I'm a lot older now and it takes me two months just to get started on a bike tire LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-rx7motor.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I found the tool for removing the cassette . I have to return it the day I borrow it. Is their a specific freehub model you recommend, it would be good to have it in my hands. Otherwise I won't have a bike for a week while I get ahold of a new freehub

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You should be able to leave the freehub alone.... unless it causes problems. The free hub itself doesn't get serviced.

if you need to replace it, you need to find out the specific model... painful. but again, they don't get serviced.

On " real" MTB hubs you can access the pawls (or star ratchet) and clean or replace the springs, pawls etc. but what you have is a sealed unit.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    You should be able to leave the freehub alone.... unless it causes problems. The free hub itself doesn't get serviced.

if you need to replace it, you need to find out the specific model... painful. but again, they don't get serviced.

On " real" MTB hubs you can access the pawls (or star ratchet) and clean or replace the springs, pawls etc. but what you have is a sealed unit.
    I see what you are saying. But the Cassette has play in it, and I don't think servicing the freehub alone will correct that. I sure wish I didn't know that, but now that I do so I have to replace it.

Whatever happens in the end, at least I will learn something. Its relaxing tinkering at this

BTW I still have another bike but its a bit iffy to be riding a fixed gear track bike on the slippery rainy roads in the Pacific Northwest with only a rear brake and those 22mm tires.

Magically Delicious
    The free hub itself doesn't get serviced. but what you have is a sealed unit.
    Shimano styled freehubs can be serviced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Shimano styled freehubs can be serviced.
    "can" yes. People have built their own tools to do that, and chased the tiny balls.... Can it be done, yes. But easier to just replace the freehub after it is worn out. it certainly isn't designed to be maintained.

Same with the actual hub bearings.. you can clean and inspect them, or just install new ones.

no right or wrong.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

Magically Delicious
    No disassembly. Just an injection tool and choice of lubricant. Aside from this tool though, many service these by squirting or injecting gear oils or even motor oil just as easily. Servicing the Shimano style freehubs with no special tools or disassembly has been around way longer than I can remember.

Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-img_6766.jpg Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-img_6768.jpg

Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-img_6769.jpg Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-img_6770.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-img_6765.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    No disassembly. Just an injection tool and choice of lubricant. Aside from this tool though, many service these by squirting or injecting gear oils or even motor oil just as easily. Servicing the Shimano style freehubs with no special tools or disassembly has been around way longer than I can remember.
    You are very crafty! This is better than the "drop it in a bucket with solvent" method or the " disassemble and chase 100 balls" method.

But I don't think this really cleans out all dirt, it may even drive dirt where it wasn't before. If it works for you, that is great. I would be afraid that some of the cleaning solvent remains and dilutes the lube. I heard of people drying those out in the sun (or an oven!).

I also heard of people who serivce the sealed square taper BBs. Not really intended to be serviced, and really too cheap to actually do it, but I guess can be done.

I think all these methods caaaaan work, but if you think of billable time in a shop, it isn't worth the effort compared to buying new.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

Magically Delicious
    The freehub is well cleaned before lubing, standard practices apply. I don't wait until they're full of dirt and thrashed. There are no solvents. Just push fresh freehub grease through. It take 5 minutes. Who talking billable shop time? This isn't rocket science, it's garage preventative maintenance. Simple maintenance that is too easy to pay for.

The Shimano freehub in the photos has well over 10 K miles on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The freehub is well cleaned before lubing, standard practices apply. I don't wait until they're full of dirt and thrashed. There are no solvents. Just push fresh freehub grease through. It take 5 minutes. Who talking billable shop time? This isn't rocket science, it's garage preventative maintenance. Simple maintenance that is too easy to pay for.

The Shimano freehub in the photos has well over 10 K miles on it.
    So what is the brown liquid you are pushing through in the 3rd picture? I assumed some cleaning agent.

And is that shiny adapter a tool you made or bought?

You are probably on to something. But 99% of people who bother doing that just drop the freehub in solvent... which will make it fail faster.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I didn't see the 11mm hex HerrKaLeu mentioned. This is what I saw.
    I was tempted to turn that out, but this bike has to be back in service tomorrow,
    I saw the previous few posts that came out today from Cleared2Land but I decided to play it safe. The Freehub seems fine, the play in the cassette was in the cassette. I was told that was normal.
    Unless I can verify that after removing the slotted ring, I don't end up with bearings all over the floor, I'll wait until the summer
    Well I learned a lot .
    Working on bikes is like being a watchmaker.
    My Thanks to HerKaLeu and Cleared2Land for teaching me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advance parts  for servicing replacing /overhauling wheel bearings -?-t.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Don't touch the freehub unless you really want to! I never opened one since it wasn't needed, but some crafty people build a tool and take them apart... taking apart is fine, but re-assembly seems to be a pain. Many small balls. they are not designed to be taken apart and re-assembled. Doesn't mean it is impossible, but means it is hard.

If it works, don't touch it. You could do something Cleared2Land did, but he is very crafty and has the tool and experience. Don't fix something that isn't broken, or it may be broken.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    So what is the brown liquid you are pushing through in the 3rd picture? I assumed some cleaning agent.

And is that shiny adapter a tool you made or bought?
    The tool is the Morningstar Freehub Buddy tool, which you cannot purchase any longer. However, J. A. Stein does make a Freehub Injector that appears to provide the same function.