mtbr member
    Jul 2009

3/4 axle holder?

Is there such an animal out there? I just got a rear DT Swiss hub with a 10mm thu set up. The caps that you have to pull off are 19mm or 3/4" The small AV-1 park axle holder is not even close and the better AV-4 has a larger opening of 9/16.

I guess I could try the larger park and see what happens but Id rather use the right tool for the job.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee
    Is there such an animal out there? I just got a rear DT Swiss hub with a 10mm thu set up. The caps that you have to pull off are 19mm or 3/4" The small AV-1 park axle holder is not even close and the better AV-4 has a larger opening of 9/16.

I guess I could try the larger park and see what happens but Id rather use the right tool for the job.

Thanks!
    You should not need a tool. Just pull.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You should not need a tool. Just pull.
    I wish Shiggy.... As you can see from the pic there is only about 3/16" to hold on to. I tried a robogrip pair of pliers with plastic protectors. They would slip before anything budged. This is a new hub so that might have something to do with it... Let me know if you have any ideas...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dthub.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    never mind.. I figured it out... I just put the freehub body in a vise (with some rubber shelf liner) and pulled the freehub body and cap off in one shot. It took a good amount of force to pull apart, but it went back together with a nice "click". Good stuff DT!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's easy to make any sort of axle vise. Take a 2x4, and cut it to about 6" long. Put it on it's edge and drill a hole in it using a bit the same size as the axle. Then, cut down through it, bisecting the hole, but stop cutting about 1" from the bottom. Then you can simply put it in a vise, put the axle in the hole, and tighten it down. It also works well for working on suspension components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    It's easy to make any sort of axle vise. Take a 2x4, and cut it to about 6" long. Put it on it's edge and drill a hole in it using a bit the same size as the axle. Then, cut down through it, bisecting the hole, but stop cutting about 1" from the bottom. Then you can simply put it in a vise, put the axle in the hole, and tighten it down. It also works well for working on suspension components.
    Why the hell didn't I think of that

And I woodwork as a hobby!

Are there any issues with the wood marring the nice black anodizing? Maybe just put a rag between the hub and wood?

Thanks so much! I'll be working on this ASAP and report back with the results!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee
    Are there any issues with the wood marring the nice black anodizing? Maybe just put a rag between the hub and wood?
    Generally not, no. The wood is soft enough that there's nothing to scratch the surface of the axle.

Putting a rag in it doesn't work very well since, unless it's extremely thin, it disrupts the close fit you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Woot! I never get credit. This is great!

You did a great job on it, by the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0