Thinking of building a Titus - Titus X??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thinking of building a Titus - Titus X??

Hi folks. I've been thinking about buying a new bike for a couple of months now. I've looked at the usual big name offerings from Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. However, (and I kmow this may sound stupid coming from a rider who is not ridiculously experienced) but I really don't want to have something that everyone on the moutain has.

Therefore I'm considering taking my time and bulding something myself. I've never built one before but I believe it will be fun, frustrating, and obviously a learning experience.

I'm just getting back into the sport after being out of it for a few years, and I was very surprised to hear that Titus had been sold when I began to look around after coming back.

Anyway, a little more research and I find that On One is in charge of Titus now. I looked at their site and am thinking of buying a frame. Since I'm not overly familiar with Titus bikes, I was wondering if someone can tell me if they think the Titus X in either alloy or in carbon would be a good way to go? I'm not ever going to race..heck, I'm a 5' 10" middle aged Clydesdale...but I do want something that I can feel like I'm fast on. I also want something sturdy.

BTW...I've also pondered the Rockstar frame, but I haven't really liked any 29er I've been on so far. I know folks rave about 29ers, but so far they have all felt less responsive than the 26ers I've ridden. Maybe I just need more seat time on one.......

Well, I realize that I may be late to the Titus party, and that I may also be looking at the Titus name in an effort to satiate an old want (the Motolite was all the rage back when I was riding more a few years ago)....however I really think the frame prices seem to be very good and could make for a fun bike which has a little bit of an "unique" feel to it. I wouldn't see five of them on the trails every time I'm out.

Of course, I want to purchase the "right" frame. I don't even know what the difference is between the "Racer X" and the "X".

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The Cheater
    The Titus X 2009+ which is the successor to the Racer X 2009- is one of the lightest alum frame in the market at 2.2kg for S frame due to the carbon seatstay. The seatstay was problematic and fragile but they fixed that issue. If you're ordering a new one from On One you should be getting the new seatstay. The geometry is the traditional 71/73 with long top tube so it's a pure racing machine. If you want comfort but same geometry then the Giant Anthem X is the way to go. I would get the new X instead of the Racer X due to the more modern tube shaping and lighter weight. I heard the new X will be called Racer X once more due to name popularity.

I've bought lots of bikes in the past. Practically changed bikes every 3 months or so. Scott, Spez, Giant, Trek, Fuji... top full carbon models... What bike did I keep for more than a year now? The alum Titus X 2009! In the real world all those theoretical suspension designs and frame materials don't stand a chance against proper geometry, bike fitting, frame stiffness, and suspension that works. There is something special about Titus... the combination of speed, stiffness, and simplicity that works. I now have both the alum and carbon version. The carbon frame is actually heavier than the alum with more problems such as bottle cage usage and S styled chainstay that rubs against wider shoes. So I recommend the alum frame instead.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie1992 View Post
    I'm not ever going to race..heck, I'm a 5' 10" middle aged Clydesdale...but I do want something that I can feel like I'm fast on. I also want something sturdy.
    Would you buy a Ferrari to go off-roading? The X, like stated before, is a race machine. Lots of folks have used them as trail bikes, but at your age and size, I would suggest going for a high-performing, comfortable trail bike.

If it's a Titus you want (and why not?), go with an FTM or keep your eye out for a used MotoLite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I second that on the FTM. Bought the '09 FTM and love it! Did some research before i bought it and also say the older motolite is another way to go if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Would you buy a Ferrari to go off-roading? The X, like stated before, is a race machine. Lots of folks have used them as trail bikes, but at your age and size, I would suggest going for a high-performing, comfortable trail bike.

If it's a Titus you want (and why not?), go with an FTM or keep your eye out for a used MotoLite.
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Point taken. That's why I asked the question. I'll look into the FTM as well. The price on the Alloy X frame in my size (Medium) was what really caught my eye. I thought $699 was pretty good. I believe the FTM frame was a couple hundred bucks more (if it is availabe in my size).

I originally gave a lot of thought to buying a more comfortable bike, but as I have resumed riding I just seem to like the more "flickable" lighter ones. That's why I have not particularly enjoyed any of the 29ers I have tried. I did ride a Giant Anthem X 29er 3. It didn't do it for me.

Another question, what about the El Guapo? Is that more of an all mountain type of bike? I haven't found much info on it, but it sure is pretty.

Thanks!

Bike Addiction

Sometimes

Sometimes even when your old you need to pull out the Ferrari and show the younger guys you still have it! I love my Racer X but comfort is not one of its attributes.But fast, fast,fast. The single track it will blister. Move over young man, Grandpa is on your left
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable View Post
    Sometimes even when your old you need to pull out the Ferrari and show the younger guys you still have it! I love my Racer X but comfort is not one of its attributes.But fast, fast,fast. The single track it will blister. Move over young man, Grandpa is on your left
    Heh heh...I read your post and was so motivated I went over the handlebars of my current bike and cracked a rib or two up on Raccoon Mtn this weekend.

At least I'll have a little extra "sideline time" to build something.

Aww heck...I'll be back on the thing in a week or so so matter how sore I am. I know it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie1992 View Post
    Point taken. That's why I asked the question. I'll look into the FTM as well. The price on the Alloy X frame in my size (Medium) was what really caught my eye. I thought $699 was pretty good. I believe the FTM frame was a couple hundred bucks more (if it is availabe in my size).

I originally gave a lot of thought to buying a more comfortable bike, but as I have resumed riding I just seem to like the more "flickable" lighter ones. That's why I have not particularly enjoyed any of the 29ers I have tried. I did ride a Giant Anthem X 29er 3. It didn't do it for me.

Another question, what about the El Guapo? Is that more of an all mountain type of bike? I haven't found much info on it, but it sure is pretty.

Thanks!
    IME the difference between the flickability of an XC and all mountain fully can be as great or greater than between a 26" and 29" bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

At Work
    FTM is a great bike and fairly light. Mine is right at the 26-27 lbs mark.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

The Cheater
    I would recommend the FTM if it weren't for the problems that are inherent with the current design...

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I was always under the impression that Pivots were the best climbing bikes, but I think Titus might be on par there. I ride a pivot mach 5 & my wife rides a titus FTM 2010. My wife can climb everything I can and cleared some really techy climbs at dupont on our last ride. She says that her bike is amazing at climbing. I think her bike is better in the air too and I was amazed at how big she was going off the woopties on the way down.

I do not know of any problems with the FTM's other then the older light rails. But FWIW the frame welds look better then Pivots do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    I would recommend the FTM if it weren't for the problems that are inherent with the current design...
    What are the inherent problems? I'll do a search on it but since you apparently are aware of them, would you mind advising?

Thanks!

At Work
    the 09's rear end had some failures. I have a 2009 with what I believe is the non updated rear end and have had no problems. I weigh around 210. I do not do 3-4 foot drops or anything like that. Some of the failures may have been from people riding the FTM harder than it was meant to be! ex.. 3 foot drops.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

The Cheater
    Rear end failures. Cracked frame at the shock link. Tire clearance. Did I miss anything?