small changes, big changes- Mtbr.com
    Bike to the Bone...

small changes, big changes

I have used my ML with a 110mm and a 90mm stem with Evolve Race Face low rise bars. The bars I think are 25" wide.

I just put a 100mm 100 degree Thomson X4 stem on my Moto Lite with an Easton EA 50 OS high rise bar, at 27" wide.

The bike really gave more conficence, liked the new riding position, I'm pretty stoked. I'll try to post a pic later. I went with the Silver Thomson, and it just looks amazing Pretty high quality. The bike feels more stable with the newer bar position, I felt better doing some chutes I think I wouldn't have done (maybe).

I also replaced a Michelin XTR Xtreme 2.2 tire with a Kenda Nevegal Stik-e 2.35, and tried the rear to replace a Specialized Roll-X 2.0 with Panaracer Cinder 2.25.

The bike rode really well, but the Cinder turned out too wide, so I have to return to the Roll-X at the rear. I loved the Cinder, but it rubbed under pressure I don't want to pay for the FR or newer lowers, so I'll use the Roll-X, which I also liked (the Michelin were yuk to me).

The tires gave pretty good traction at some loose gravel situation, it felt wonderfull!! Eventually I'll get another 2.1 Nevegal for my rear tire, but for now I think the Nevegal/roll-x combo will work pretty well.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I have used my ML with a 110mm and a 90mm stem with Evolve Race Face low rise bars. The bars I think are 25" wide.

I just put a 100mm 100 degree Thomson X4 stem on my Moto Lite with an Easton EA 50 OS high rise bar, at 27" wide.

The bike really gave more conficence, liked the new riding position, I'm pretty stoked. I'll try to post a pic later. I went with the Silver Thomson, and it just looks amazing Pretty high quality. The bike feels more stable with the newer bar position, I felt better doing some chutes I think I wouldn't have done (maybe).

I also replaced a Michelin XTR Xtreme 2.2 tire with a Kenda Nevegal Stik-e 2.35, and tried the rear to replace a Specialized Roll-X 2.0 with Panaracer Cinder 2.25.

The bike rode really well, but the Cinder turned out too wide, so I have to return to the Roll-X at the rear. I loved the Cinder, but it rubbed under pressure I don't want to pay for the FR or newer lowers, so I'll use the Roll-X, which I also liked (the Michelin were yuk to me).

The tires gave pretty good traction at some loose gravel situation, it felt wonderfull!! Eventually I'll get another 2.1 Nevegal for my rear tire, but for now I think the Nevegal/roll-x combo will work pretty well.
    How bad is the fit of the Cinders?? If it didn't work now, you do fine on getting rid of it. Tyres stretch out with use and they become a little wider.

The Nev should do fine... at your weight, you may have still some rubbing as Kenda's run a bit wide and the wheel can flex a little under load.

Good to know the cockpit is dialed now!!

BTW... this thread is worthless without pics...
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    How bad is the fit of the Cinders?? If it didn't work now, you do fine on getting rid of it. Tyres stretch out with use and they become a little wider.

The Nev should do fine... at your weight, you may have still some rubbing as Kenda's run a bit wide and the wheel can flex a little under load.

Good to know the cockpit is dialed now!!

BTW... this thread is worthless without pics...
    The cinder rub some knobs on the left stay when under pressure. If you test the tire on a workstand you don't notice anything.... So a Roll-X will be back. I don't want to pay for a 2.1 cinder

The Nevegal fit's fine on the Talas, so it will stay there

Let's ride
    take a sharp knife and cut off some part of the side blocks that rub.

There are a few folks here on mtbr that modify their tires to get it just right.

I like the Nev on the back of the ML myself.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    take a sharp knife and cut off some part of the side blocks that rub.

There are a few folks here on mtbr that modify their tires to get it just right.

I like the Nev on the back of the ML myself.

The Nev is a great tire, if I get a chance, I will get a 2.1 nev for the rear

Let's ride
    Come up to California for the Sea otter race weekend. They sell Nevs for $20 ea. I got 2 last year. The Kenda booth is also at the 24 hr race events.

mtbr member

bad post

sorry, shoudnt have opened my mouth
    Last edited by craigstr; 03-13-2006 at 06:31 PM. Reason: wrong topic

Paper or plastic?
    Come up to California for the Sea otter race weekend. They sell Nevs for $20 ea. I got 2 last year. The Kenda booth is also at the 24 hr race events.
    No way. That's good to know, especially as fast as those suckers wear out.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Bike to the Bone...
    Since a certain unnamable person in this forum decided to declare that this post was useless without pics... here they are!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bike to the Bone...
    Thanks for the advice... but it's a little too far away for me, but it would be awesome to be there!!! maybe next year!

Oct 2005
    Don't cut the side knobs off those tires. Do that and you might as well throw them away.

On the topic of bike fit, I recently had an experience where I lowered my front end and my a-c height and it gave me more confidence on descents and other technical features. Basically, I didn't know I was sitting too upright. I believe you said that, rzhflsdhbvjdscbvcbvcbv. I think it's good to mess around with positions once in a while and even go beyond to see where you would hate it just to bring it back to a better place.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Don't cut the side knobs off those tires. Do that and you might as well throw them away.

On the topic of bike fit, I recently had an experience where I lowered my front end and my a-c height and it gave me more confidence on descents and other technical features. Basically, I didn't know I was sitting too upright. I believe you said that, rzhflsdhbvjdscbvcbvcbv. I think it's good to mess around with positions once in a while and even go beyond to see where you would hate it just to bring it back to a better place.
    Yep, I thought about cutting the knobs, but then, I think I would affect the grip when cornering, making the tires slip. Not worth it, I prefer returning to my old rear wheel, which was nice. On a later date I'll get a Nev or another Cinder 2.1 rather than 2.2.

Yep, fit is not easy and I think it's something you get after trial and error.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    On a later date I'll get a Nev or another Cinder 2.1 rather than 2.2.
    You're welcome to test my Nev on the back.

Love that stem. Now you need a silver Thomson post to match. UGI never ends.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog

Can I test your rear WHEEL???
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog

hahaha, I did thought about a silver Thomson post when I looked at the stem... but if you're willing to pay for it I would be greatly gratefull.... probably I could even invite you a beer at Espiritu Santo.....

Since I'm planning on another bike, I'm not sure about my $$$$ right now, so we'll see...

Members who have read this thread: 0