Montseny National Park Ride, Espanola- Mtbr.com
    "Its All Good"

Montseny National Park Ride, Espanola

This weeks ride, took us to a National Park North West of Barcelona, the National Park is called Massis del Montseny.

We had planned this ride for some time now. Not a huge epic, but we wanted some good weather. The ride involves climbing some 1700M over a distance of 20Km, then a downhill of some 20 odd Km’s (Yeah ha). This ride wasn’t about the technical single tracks, there were not many of these, it was about the environment, flora & fauna, which was stunning to say the least. As I said above we wound our way up 4 wheel drive trails, some of these got really rocky and technical which was great. Those that know me, know I get bored climbing just 4 wheel drive trails or forest roads. Anyway, was real good about it today.

We had the odd break whilst heading up the 20km climb. First stop was at this stunning little village of very nice houses, with swimming pools, tennis courts etc. Very luxurious but stunning, out in the middle of this National Park. We carried on, just after this village the trail turned to be real rocky, loose and loads of fun, this lasted some km’s, really enjoyed this. The flora is totally different to Barcelona, read this:

Parque Natural de Massís del Montseny
    Montseny National Park Info etc

Barcelona's green belt.
    Montseny Nature Reserve forms part of a network of protected open spaces that make up a green ring.

Macizo del Montseny lies in the Catalan pre-coastal mountains, over 3 districts: l´Osona, la Selva and eastern Vallès. It comprises materials of highly diverse origin. Three big mountainous groups make up the massif: Turó de l’Home (1,706 m) and Les Agudes (1,703 m) , Matagalls (1,697 m) and Pla de la Calma. The abrupt relief, that contrasts with the mountains and valley cut by streams, the leafiness of the forests, give rise to a spectacular and exceptionally stunning landscape. The weather differences in Monseny have brought about a wide range of landscapes: holm oak groves (on the lower slopes), cork oak groves (in the granite areas), pine groves, sub-Mediterranean oak groves, beech and birch trees, besides riverside vegetation and rock formations. With respect to the fauna, communities of Mediterranean and central European dominate the Reserve. The shrew, badger, grey dormouse, bullfinch, woodcock, Pyrenean newt, common frog, Aesculapian snake and wild boar.

Type of area: Nature Reserve
    Surface: 17370 Hectares

When we arrived at the top, we rode down the road a few km’s to a tiny little church in the boon docks, was stunning. Had our lunch there, then headed back to the top for the great downhill run to the car, all of which was some 20 km’s. This was a blast, not technical at all, just fast flowing 4 wheel drive tracks. Plenty of berms etc, could pop jumps all the way down. Your arms certainly know about it at the end of a run like this.

All in all, a really cool ride, the terrain, forest was awesome. Would be well worth a ride here if you ever make it to Spain.

Over and out……………….

PS: You wouldnt believe it, I sucumb to wearing lycra's for this XC ish ride (heeby Geeby's, have to get out of Spain.... )

Some shots of the place.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Bike to the Bone...
    Hi, it sounds like a wonderfull place to ride. Spain sure has some very intresting trails.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hi, it sounds like a wonderfull place to ride. Spain sure has some very intresting trails.
    Have to agree, not that I had any idea before arriving, but the amount of great riding is a bonus, it is a fantastic place all round for riding. The weather is pretty sweet too....

Mind you, in saying that, I love seeing all the different terrain around the globe, so many places on the wish list now....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Looks like lots of fun, man!

Damn, after being at Spain three times (very short tips though, all to Madrid), I'm pretty jealous of you! Damn, Spain is a great place to live.

Well, at least I can see cool pics of mates riding as I'm stuck at home today... bummer.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Looks like lots of fun, man!

Damn, after being at Spain three times (very short tips though, all to Madrid), I'm pretty jealous of you! Damn, Spain is a great place to live.

Well, at least I can see cool pics of mates riding as I'm stuck at home today... bummer.
    Was a blast, I see your pictures though Warp and want to come ride that terrain in Mexico City, those forrests look fantastic for sure..... know the feeling, seeing pictures everywhere is good at getting me thinking about riding...............

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Brilliant pics Whafe and great write up. You must be stoked riding all these new places and trails! I put on lycra shorts for yesterdays ride, and I rather liked it . Are the temps starting to cool off?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweet ride Whafe! Seems like it is very clear weather down there.. here it is partly cloudy and you can already feel the temps dropping as soon as the sun goes down....

Awesome pics...

Cheers,
    Cris

Weapon of Choice
    Definitely nice countryside and weather perfect. A few years back I was in Barcelona eating paella and drank way too much sangria to remember much on the Rambla; hehe good thing I didnt bring the bike! next time for sure!

thats right living legend
    Great pics Whafe. Man, the Exo still looks immaculate!

That's some excruciating elevation! OUCH!!!!

"Its All Good"
    Hi All, yeah the weather is cooling off slightly, usually around 20 deg C in the mornings. Hang when I arrived in Spain, the weather was some 14 deg C, which is shorts and short sleeved short riding weather in New Zealand, after 9 months here, i am getting cold at 20 Deg C, what a wuss........

The weather was great as the pics tell, but it is coolign down out of the sun for sure. But hang the weather here is sweet compared to other parts of Europe...

It is so easy to keep the scooter looking mint, these guys dont know what mud is.......

Veni Vidi Vici
    g'day Whafe! nice pics ... your exo is surely getting a lot of nice rides out there it is really a BEAUTY... oh and btw, nice Lycras you got there

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    g'day Whafe! nice pics ... your exo is surely getting a lot of nice rides out there it is really a BEAUTY... oh and btw, nice Lycras you got there
    Hi ya barelylegal, all good in manila? Yep the scooter is seeing some riding, which it needs to too..... Yep, first ride in just lycras, was comfortable too, the old roadie bib shorts... Am not going to make a habit of it either....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    It is so easy to keep the scooter looking mint, these guys dont know what mud is.......
    Lucky sods.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Hi ya barelylegal, all good in manila? Yep the scooter is seeing some riding, which it needs to too..... Yep, first ride in just lycras, was comfortable too, the old roadie bib shorts... Am not going to make a habit of it either....
    All good mate a pretty hard typhoon hit us last week... good thing is, our trails are still in good condition for riding.. I must try lycras good thing you decided not to maka it a habit

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Lucky sods.
    It is cruzy for cleaning the bike, very UNLIKE New Zealand conditions..........

mtbr member
    Hey Whafe, great write up. I'm off for 10 day stay in town at the north of the Montseny National park called Viladrau, and i'm really looking forward to riding some great trails. Your route sounds interesting, but please can you tell the name of the town at the top of your 20km climb so i can find it on the map and the place that you started from.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob : )

Members who have read this thread: 0