Long Live Titus - Titus has been rescued!- Mtbr.com
    High Alpine Adventure

Long Live Titus - Titus has been rescued!

Well they ain't dead yet (Credit to SClyde2)...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/4823.html

....and regardless of what some illiterate idiots elsewhere on this board think, thier designs will weather the test of time.

Planet-X sounds like just the right fit for Titus and I for one look forward to what they will produce.

Here's to MORE Ti....
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Never heard of them, but I do know of On One and have been tempted with a 456 frame purchase for a very long time - they get awesome reviews in UK mags. Could be a really good fit for them.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/frames

I think this is probably really bad news for Titus employees though

High Alpine Adventure
    Yeah, sounds like the factory will move to Gap, Pa. But at least they will be building bikes in the US (I hope)! I just hope they stay true to the origins of Titus and focus on Ti. There is a good chance with this group that may be the direction they take. Try to get back to the roots! Let's all hope!

So I don't think we have to worry about KMart carrying the brand...
    Dug-Da-Goat

searcher
    Hallelujah!
    Never heard of them either, but they seems to be a serious company and they don't have FS mountain bikes in their range. It will be interesting to see what's happening.I wonder if they keep the Titus name..
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool. Forward movement......

Planet X, a U.K. based Internet bicycle retailer, purchased all of Titus’ assets from Factors Southwest late Tuesday, November 23.
    So is this the U.K. version of Bikes Direct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i own a jackflash rad,PX had a full squish at one point in time before there mtb bikes were labled on one

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Cool. Forward movement......

So is this the U.K. version of Bikes Direct.

/\ This , R.I.P. Titus .

mtbr member
    Planet X and On-one are tied in together somehow. I cant remember exactly now....But if past history of how they work is anything to go by, guess Titus would be returning to those "boutique" appeals and every once in a while, there could be some serious "never to be repeated" bargains for those lucky enough to catch it....

Short-Change-Hero
    Planet X is the parent company of On-One... I take this as very good news seeing as On-One is bent on getting the customer the highest quality bike at the lowest possible cost (i.e. cutting out the middle man). Some might now view this as a good thing but I think the collaboration of minds and like philosophies will bring Titus back around!
    http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/...orks-and-more/ see very bottom paragraph.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm stoked about this recent twist! I've been contemplating getting an On One 456 Summer Season for the last few weeks, but in the end I found this guy ( stoutbikes.blogspot.com/ ), and so now he's building me a sick all mountain hard tail to zip around on!
    I like bikes.

Paper or plastic?
    The thing that worry me the most in the rebirth is whether the new owner gets to keep the FSR license. Without it, it'll be tough for Titus. Also, if Titus moves to an internet only distribution model, it'll be an interesting development for the US market for high end bikes. Anyway, time will tell.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Well they ain't dead yet (Credit to SClyde2)...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/4823.html

....and regardless of what some illiterate idiots elsewhere on this board think, thier designs will weather the test of time.

Planet-X sounds like just the right fit for Titus and I for one look forward to what they will produce.

Here's to MORE Ti....
    Planet X and On-One are the same company. Same owner, same offices and warehouse. All of the On-One frame designs are unique to the company. They have some excellent designers and engineers on staff. If you check the 29er and Singlespeed boards you will see they have a pretty good following.

There should be a press release from PX tomorrow.

I should be able to answer some questions then, too (currently in Rotherham).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    This could be good or this could be bad. Planet X is all about cheap and cheerful.

Forget about boutique made in america stuff. Think more on the line of Voodoo and Boardman bikes in the UK. Stuff made in Taiwan/China for the lowest price. Great geometry at the lowest cost.

The one brand has been met with enthusiasm in the UK, where it is viewed as a rock solid frame with a great price. Look at their titanium offerings, which are usually $1000 cheaper than other brands.

I could see a titanium FTM at the current aluminum price point.

J:

And so,

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    /\ This , R.I.P. Titus .
    I hope they don't cut Bob out the mix. Still the Titus hardware store?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Planet X and On-One are the same company. Same owner, same offices and warehouse.
    Right.
    According to the article from Bicycle Retailer On One is the mtb arm of Planet X.

"Planet X sells pavement bikes under its Planet X brand and mountain bikes under its On One brand. Planet X does not sell mountain bikes on its U.S. Web site; only its pavement products are available."

Glad to see Titus resurrected.
    Now we'll see what they'll become with the new owners.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus

The one brand has been met with enthusiasm in the UK, where it is viewed as a rock solid frame with a great price. Look at their titanium offerings, which are usually $1000 cheaper than other brands.
    But they have been cutting quite a few corners with their Ti models in the latest generation. No more Lynskey made frames but I think its probably the china factory that once produced for Airborne that is doing it now. Guess everyone has been hit with hard times so they have to move to some where cheaper now.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    The thing that worry me the most in the rebirth is whether the new owner gets to keep the FSR license. Without it, it'll be tough for Titus. Also, if Titus moves to an internet only distribution model, it'll be an interesting development for the US market for high end bikes. Anyway, time will tell.
    I think the words "high end" should be in quotations, above. Just sayin.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I'm stoked about this recent twist! I've been contemplating getting an On One 456 Summer Season for the last few weeks, but in the end I found this guy ( stoutbikes.blogspot.com/ ), and so now he's building me a sick all mountain hard tail to zip around on!
    Really liked my On One Summer Season...really well designed/engineered bike...although it was designed by Brant Richards who is no longer there.

Will the new Titus bikes be built offshore? I don't know, but On One bikes have always been at the front of bicycle evolution. I think this could be good.
    Extreme stationary biker.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    but On One bikes have always been at the front of bicycle evolution. I think this could be good.
    How is a hardtail the front of bicycle evolution? On One did not come up with a long travel hardtail, or a 29er, or the use of Scandium. On One definetly offers models to capture the current market, but driving evolution?
    beaver hunt

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    How is a hardtail the front of bicycle evolution? On One definetly offers models to capture the current market, but driving evolution?
    They're cheap and have pretty stickers. That's innovation!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    You had me at cheap
    beaver hunt

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    How is a hardtail the front of bicycle evolution? On One did not come up with a long travel hardtail, or a 29er, or the use of Scandium. On One definetly offers models to capture the current market, but driving evolution?
    Fair enough. I guess I meant that they offer designs to the mass market long before a majority of mass market bicycle companies do. I don't really care who comes up with an idea..you don't have to invent to help push evolution. Besides, lots of great original ideas fail badly because the rest of the package blows. How many companies have produced a hardtail with a 65.5 degree static head angle?

Besides, scandium is ghey.

mtbr member
    LULz!

Anyway, the Racer X was one of the best bikes ever designed for its purpose. Specialized who owned the FSR patent couldn't design a better bike.

the train keeps rollin
    Fair enough. I guess I meant that they offer designs to the mass market long before a majority of mass market bicycle companies do. I don't really care who comes up with an idea..you don't have to invent to help push evolution. Besides, lots of great original ideas fail badly because the rest of the package blows. How many companies have produced a hardtail with a 65.5 degree static head angle?

Besides, scandium is ghey.
    gotcha, they definitely fill the void.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Who says these guys are going to continue the name? They could have bought the leftovers just to sell the remainders and re-sell the name hoping to turn a profit.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Trophy Husband
    Wonder if we'll get to see the new bikes purportedly in the pipeline pre-meltdown.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Hey Geo, thanks again for the advice on the SuMo linkage, I'm really diggin' the bike.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If they're reading, as a 2-Titus-owner, my vote is to keep the production domestic. That's what made the decision for me.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    The supposed best bike they ever made was produced over seas anyhow.

mtbr member

I kinda like it

I dont know anything about On One or Planet X, just what I saw on their website. But from the looks of it, they just scored themselves a kick-ass full suspsension bike company which just adds to their product line. Sure there will be some changes but it looks like the Titus name will live on.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    OnOne have made an appearance here in Aussie of late. Ive been keen to build myself up a single speed cyclocross hybrid thingy with their frame in mind.. they make some very tidy kit.

I see this is a positive. I just hope the roots remain.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    FSR patent doesn't mean anything outside the US. Given this company isn't US based, worst case is they just don't sell horst link bikes in the US for the next 15 months.
    There is a whole world outside the US.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It seems to me the owners of Titus will get to use the Horest Link Patent Licence as Titus been sold twice already and each of those owners was able to use the patent licence. The only thing they won't be able to do with the patent licence is sell it or transfer it to another company.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    FSR patent doesn't mean anything outside the US. Given this company isn't US based, worst case is they just don't sell horst link bikes in the US for the next 15 months.
    There is a whole world outside the US.
    I've seen the 2012 date being mentioned. I'm confused because there are 2 patents for the Horst link. If I remember correctly, one dates from 94 and the other from 97. Since a patent is valid for 20 years, where does the 2012 year come from?

While it's a big world out there, I doubt that Titus is a viable entity without the US market.

mtbr member
    While it's a big world out there, I doubt that Titus is a viable entity without the US market.
    HIstory would suggest it's not that viable including the US market either.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Ironic that people are doubting the re-launch of Titus without a US market, when its the US market that killed it in the first place.
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    So, I wonder what PlanetX will do about warranties etc?
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

Paper or plastic?
    Touche. Nonetheless, where does this 2012 date come from?

mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think the original patent expires in 2014.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

conjoinicorned

SNAP!

the patent expires soon (whether 2012 or 2015 or whatever, it's soon) and i'm sure if they are going to keep the brand they will produce cheaper (and hopefully slacker) FS bikes with the wonderful horst link. production is unlikely to remain in the USA (IMO...i have no source on that)....planet X/on one has stake in some big overseas factories and are particularly into carbon at the moment.

where the bike is made only affects a very small amount of buyers (even those in the US) and planet X is likely aware of this fact as well....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Okay maybe you guy can help me figure this out.

The Horst Link patent is ethier a Utility patent or a Design patent I am not sure which. How do you tell?

Utility Patent- Issued for the invention of a new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or a new and useful improvement thereof, it generally permits its owner to exclude others from making, using, or selling the invention for a period of up to twenty years from the date of patent application
    filing ++, subject to the payment of maintenance fees. Approximately 90% of the patent documents issued by the PTO in recent years have been utility patents, also referred to as "patents for invention."

Design Patent- Issued for a new, original, an ornamental design for an article of manufacture, it permits its owner to exclude others from making, or selling the design for a period of fourteen years from the date of patent grant. Design patents are not subject to the payment of maintenance fees.

Here is the link to the patent.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5509679.pdf

Also if it is a Utility Patent :

•If the application from which the patent issued was filed before June 8, 1995, the term of the patent is the longer of: (a) 17 years from issue date, or (b) 20 years from effective filing date.

The Patent was filled September 9,1994. (add twenty years, we get an expiry date of September 9, 2014)

The Patent was approved April 23, 1996. (add 17 years, we get an expiry date of April 23, 2011)

So taking the longer period it looks like the expiry date is September 9th, 2014.
    Last edited by sopwithcamel; 11-25-2010 at 03:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Okay maybe you guy can help me figure this out.

The Horst Link patent is ethier a Utility patent or a Design patent I am not sure which. How do you tell?
    Its a utility patent, design patents are useless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the help "etal"!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The patent was never applied for in Europe IIRC so its a moot point overhere

Its a shrewd move On One /Planet X are eyeing up the states? the purchase of Titus gives them an easier entry to this market on the other hand it would provide a foothold into the US for On One

Titus production might indeed stay in the USA for Ti frames as historically OO have sourced from Lynskey etc (well whoever was cheapest) for their 456 frames They may have just be bought their own TI frame facility instead of paying a vendor??

either way its a win win for planet X

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All 3 patents for rear suspension by Horst Leitner are continuations of applications started Jan 21 1992. The expiration is 20 years from the parent application. 1/21/12 is the expiration.

Well, here are the official announcements from On-One (Planet X)

On-One Buy Titus Bikes!

We've got a new bike.... company! The rumours are true. Dave Loughran, our intrepid leader went out to buy a new fax machine and came back with a new company. Why buy it from Argos when you can get one for free from Titus Bikes! That's right, we've purchased the brand, trademarks and assets of the legendary Titus Bikes, the purveyors of fine carbon and titanium bike porn.

To say that we're excited is a bit of an understatement. Think full suspension bling with spashes of carbon and titanium where it matters.

There is a lot of work for us to realise our ambitions so don’t expect any big headlines or re-launches this this side of* Christmas but we may have a little stock to sell in the mean time, so sign up to the newsletter to stay in the loop.
    And the more formal press release:
    On-One Purchase of Titus Bikes Official Press Release

On One, the Mountain Bike Division of Planet X Ltd (Rotherham, UK) has acquired the brand, trade marks and assets of Titus Bikes Inc (Tempe, USA).* The Titus acquisition complements the On One range, with the addition of high quality full suspension models. By leveraging our experience in carbon and titanium bike development we intend to build on the already strong Titus range.

In addition the Titus brand and loyal customers will provide a boost to On One’s planned expansion into the US in 2011.

Pretty exciting going ons. I was already on my way to Rotherham to discuss the future of On-One in the States when the Titus deal was started. There was and still is much more happening than has been publicly reported or even speculated about on the forums. I see a great respect for the Titus brand and heritage from the On-One staff and the owner, Dave. Going to be a fun ride.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    drtoro....... Perhaps you should actually look up the patents before you make such absurd statements.

http://www.amp-research.com/company/patents/

Bike Addiction
    Thanks for keeping us lazy folks informed Shiggy. Sounds great for us Titus owners so far. May still that EG after all. Had started looking at Pivot but gonna wait and see now.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Guess I shouldn't have posted. Hopefully I don't get bashed on this one. Someone asked and I had the answer. We'll come back to that. We actually spent three weeks working on this deal and have all contracts, AR reports, balance sheets, inventory/equipment list, accounts due, flew to inspect inventory, new prototypes, ect. Planet x bought out factor southwest prior to auction two and then had rights to run the second auction. I assume they also bought out the second and third lien holders and used their money as credit bids..... We'll never know for sure. It's what we considered doing but was too risky in the eyes of our lawyers because no one knew who was really in second or third position...Jeff or Vyatek. Each of those parties claimed to be #2. Titus would have been a boutique brand out of Vail, CO with in house ti fabrication. After round 2 we just received an email with planet x as the winner and no amount. We did finally get an amount after asking but that doesn't need to be known here.
    The biggest concern is the horst link agreement. It was granted to titus titanium inc and that isn't even registered any longer. Titus cycles inc is the current company. The contract states that it is non transferable and was a worry for years prior to this foreclosure. If the agreement had been paid anytime recently it would have been less of a worry for specialized to let it slide. The easiest move is to wait for the rear shocks from fox, sell off the 500 frames in house and 200 still at Sapa, build the best customer relations in the business and release the HT 29ers by sea otter and wait till next jan to debut a whole new fs line with new racer x ect. Probably could do anything in europe that they desire.

Look up the patents 5899480,5509679,and 5678837 line 63 in each patent- all continuations of Jan 21 1992. The date of filing doesn't matter. I'm sure planet x will do a fantastic job with the brand. On one is great and our friends in europe love their tri gear. I know a lot about the company's past but just like everyone else I'll be excited to see it's future.

mtbr member
    drtoro....... Perhaps you should actually look up the patents before you make such absurd statements.

http://www.amp-research.com/company/patents/

What is so absurd about his statement?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sorry for the left jab drtoro, but I knew you where holding back information. Thanks for enlighting the ignorant amoung us. Which would be me, it's very much appreciated. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Okay so looking at line 63 on Patent. 5899480.......

"This application is a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 08/633,201, filed Apr. 16, 1996, now U.S. Pat. No. 5,678,837 which was a continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 08/303,568, filed Sep. 9, 1994, , now U.S. Pat. No. 5,509,679 which was a file wrapper continuation of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 08/006,325, filed January 21, 1993, abandoned, which was a continuation in part of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 07/827,089, filed Jan. 21, 1992, abandoned."

The key statement being:

"which was a continuation in part of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 07/827,089, filed Jan. 21, 1992, abandoned."

I think everyone can see where the confusion comes in. So does this statement mean Horst put in a patent application and abandoned it or that every time they add more claims to the particular patent they note that the previous application as being abandoned ???

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    the patent expires soon (whether 2012 or 2015 or whatever, it's soon)
    Okay, so nobody really knows basically. One of the patent was granted in 97, which might mean a 2017 expiration date, not exactly around the corner, but somebody with more knowledge might chime in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Zorg, do you know a good patent laywer? It's probably what its going to take to give you a real solid answer.

mtbr member
    Some one just start building more elguapos for christ's sake.......

mtbr member
    Okay so looking at line 63 on Patent. 5899480.......

The key statement being:

"which was a continuation in part of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 07/827,089, filed Jan. 21, 1992, abandoned."

I think everyone can see where the confusion comes in. So does this statement mean Horst put in a patent application and abandoned it or that every time they add more claims to the particular patent they note that the previous application as being abandoned ???

No, it may not mean the whole patent but probably just claims in the patent. That happens all the time. I am not a patent attorney but have lots of patents.

mtbr member
    Planet X have a "join our mailing list" tab at the link below to get updates on what they are planning with Titus. Someone already asked them if they would honour (the way we in the "whole world outside the US" spell honor! ) the lifetime warranty on their Solera. The answer was; "The lifetime warranty issue is an obvious challenge for us. It could land us in the same place as Titus's previous incarnation. That said we want to look after our new customers and are working on a plan to support existing customers"

Fair answer in my mind, but not really too comforting. Having said that, when buying out an insolvent company the new owner does not buy its liabilities, which warranties would fall under, so they certainly have no obligation to honour warranties. But I'm guessing they bought Titus for its brand value and will likely try to remain true to it and retain its customer base, ergo: they will have to make some kind of plan with warranties to keep us happy, even if its on a case by case basis.

Man I hope that damn FTM rear triangle of mine does not do its collapsing/disintergrating trick again!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Et tu Tite?
    Planet X have a "join our mailing list" tab at the link below to get updates on what they are planning with Titus. Someone already asked them if they would honour (the way we in the "whole world outside the US" spell honor! ) the lifetime warranty on their Solera. The answer was; "The lifetime warranty issue is an obvious challenge for us. It could land us in the same place as Titus's previous incarnation. That said we want to look after our new customers and are working on a plan to support existing customers"

Fair answer in my mind, but not really too comforting. Having said that, when buying out an insolvent company the new owner does not buy its liabilities, which warranties would fall under, so they certainly have no obligation to honour warranties. But I'm guessing they bought Titus for its brand value and will likely try to remain true to it and retain its customer base, ergo: they will have to make some kind of plan with warranties to keep us happy, even if its on a case by case basis.

Man I hope that damn FTM rear triangle of mine does not do its collapsing/disintergrating trick again!!!

Sorry forgot the link!
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news...uy-titus-bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think this planet-x purchase might have been one of the few ways for Titus to survive. I think the Jenson blowouts have essentially killed the brand at LBSs anyhow, so might as well become a mail-order brand. A good brand name like Titus, would get people, who would normally be skeptical about buying an online only FS bike, to maybe buy one. I, for one, wouldn't consider buying an Airborne, but I would consider buying an online-only Titus if it keeps up it's generally good designs, like the el G.

Paper or plastic?
    Zorg, do you know a good patent laywer? It's probably what its going to take to give you a real solid answer.
    No but I slept at the Holiday Inn last night.

Per the US PTO:

The term of the patent shall be generally 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, if the application contains a specific reference to an earlier filed application under 35 U.S.C. 120, 121 or 365(c), from the date of the earliest such application was filed, and subject to the payment of maintenance fees as provided by law.

It looks like 2012 might be it then. If that's the case, it'll be interesting to see what Specialized will do in the US. They don't seem to be suffering much overseas where there is no patent on the FSR suspension though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know of a shop that is still sitting on a few Chris era frames and bikes. Motolites mostly and a few Racer-X's
    I'm not that fast....You're just slow.
    Titus Racer-X 80, Giant Reign 1, Fat Chance Titanium

mtbr member
    It looks like 2012 might be it then. If that's the case, it'll be interesting to see what Specialized will do in the US. They don't seem to be suffering much overseas where there is no patent on the FSR suspension though.
    Specialized will continue to make the same bikes they've always made, and they'll only be hurt if Giant or Trek start copying the FSR designs. Since both these companies have invested a lot of marketing money into their own designs I doubt they'll be switching to FSR too soon.

I bet Specialized will have a new patentable suspension design come out before or right after 2012. The marketing will read something like... "After 20 years it was time to evolve..." Though they may have problems using the term "evolve" with Ellsworth having a bike called that.

mtbr member
    I'm not too concerned with what they do with the Titus brand in the future. All I care about is the production of RD hangers for my two Racer X's... Beyond that, it would take a world of convincing for me to buy another one. (Fireline was on top of my list.)
    Draft College Republicans

Get out of town!
    I just built up a Fireline (Steel/Carbon) and it is really nice. I'm so glad to see that Titus was saved after all!

BRING BACK THE RACER X!!! It will be the next bike I purchase if they do.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am selling my Xti with the ****ing gay ass light rail - I actually left it on the same brazilian LBS (importer) where I got it. The 2010 EG will remain in the stable forever. Right now it is built sort of tank-light mode. I have yet to try it heavier and ultralight. This bike is the real thing, a true beast. For ultra long distance I might get a Mach 429 or a Niner. I don't know yet.

I am glad Titus found a new owner. It might lose a lot of mystique though. I lived in Britain for awhile and people there think canondale is godlike, which doesn't make sense.

peace out

screamer
    This is all good news in my book. For those of you who don't know On One, they're a terrific company with a great vibe. The closest US comparison I can think of is Transition: rider owned, very down to earth, not taking themselves too seriously, and trying to bring great value bikes to an enthusiast audience who aren't made of money! I have an Inbred & really love the geometry: nothing fancy or elaborate, just a really well executed bike that's tremendous fun to ride. So take that approach and add the Titus technical wherewithall, and you have amazing potential.

It'll be really interesting to see where they take this. Others have pointed out the potential match between titus' carbon & ti offerings and what On One have been doing lately, but I'm also curious to see where the aluminum fs technology goes. Titus seem to have really exploited hydroforming to its fullest over the past couple of years, whereas On One had been sticking with relatively old-school tubesets. I wonder if that will change?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I hope On One takes Titus back to it's roots. The super light rear triangle was a total miss and they lost some of their core supporters with that. Titus was always known for the stiff rear end. I think they would have been better off with a carbon frame and the old rear triangle.

I test rode an El Guapo and really liked it. I thought the only real miss with that was the lack of space for a larger rear tire. I have heard a few other people mention this. A person could ride anything on that bike.

The Rock Star name was not the best choice. Nice bike but they would have been better off calling it the RS.

I know of one employee that agreed on these topics.

Best of luck guys there are two Titus' in this house.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    So does anyone know the sale price?

local trails rider
    They seem to get their designs right.

Also they are not total strangers to higher end bikes either: they used to get their titanium frames done by Lynskey but, I think, moved to Vannicholas (a well known Euro brand) a while ago.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

At Work
    Do you have first hand experience with them or is this just your uneducated opinion?
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    too bad really

High Alpine Adventure
    Fair enough. I guess I meant that they offer designs to the mass market long before a majority of mass market bicycle companies do...
    I'm with Geo... I think they (Planet-X/On-One) are trying to expand their market presence by offering quality bikes at a reasonable price. Yes that means Asian manufacturing and Online sales, but who isn't running to that model? Just look at who is selling on Jenson and Speedgoat! It's how you keep costs down and increase volume to support your operations.

Trek and Spez are doing the "Concept Stores" and they have the $$$ and dealer network to support that. I think in the long run the market is going to pressure them, but they can produce pretty cheaply and they will maintain their presense...

But what of the middle to lower tier? I think a number of companies like Yeti, Turner, Ellsworth and others are really going to be feeling the heat.

My take on this is if Planet-X/On-One can begin to show some innovation in design and offer a lower cost product they are going to begin to shine. I just hope they keep the focus on Ti and Exo... why? Because like Craig at Mendon I feel it is superior in longevity and ride quality. If they can produce it cheap enough, people will begin to appreciate that.

As an example, look at Airborne. I owned a Lucky Strike and a B29'er before they left the market and I thought they were quality frames at an amazingly inexpensive cost. Yes, Asian built, but again, give the market the benefit and they will flock to it.

One last comment on all of this... what of Cannondale? Well Dorel has Schwinn and Mongoose in Wally-world. GT in Performance and the "Dale" is going to be the flagship. That is how they are attacking the market. Not sure I agree with how they are positioning the "Dale", but it shows you where the bike industry is headed.

Volume, volume, volume... and that means the musical chairs of market presense!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm with Geo... I think they (Planet-X/On-One) are trying to expand their market presence by offering quality bikes at a reasonable price. Yes that means Asian manufacturing and Online sales, but who isn't running to that model? Just look at who is selling on Jenson and Speedgoat! It's how you keep costs down and increase volume to support your operations.

Trek and Spez are doing the "Concept Stores" and they have the $$$ and dealer network to support that. I think in the long run the market is going to pressure them, but they can produce pretty cheaply and they will maintain their presense...

But what of the middle to lower tier? I think a number of companies like Yeti, Turner, Ellsworth and others are really going to be feeling the heat.

My take on this is if Planet-X/On-One can begin to show some innovation in design and offer a lower cost product they are going to begin to shine. I just hope they keep the focus on Ti and Exo... why? Because like Craig at Mendon I feel it is superior in longevity and ride quality. If they can produce it cheap enough, people will begin to appreciate that.

As an example, look at Airborne. I owned a Lucky Strike and a B29'er before they left the market and I thought they were quality frames at an amazingly inexpensive cost. Yes, Asian built, but again, give the market the benefit and they will flock to it.

One last comment on all of this... what of Cannondale? Well Dorel has Schwinn and Mongoose in Wally-world. GT in Performance and the "Dale" is going to be the flagship. That is how they are attacking the market. Not sure I agree with how they are positioning the "Dale", but it shows you where the bike industry is headed.

Volume, volume, volume... and that means the musical chairs of market presense!

In order to remain competitive and survive, the boutiques will be forced to have the frames manufactured overseas and sell on-online. I like the idea of being able to purchase a Titus frame on-line.

mtbr member

Mayan calendar.

Touche. Nonetheless, where does this 2012 date come from?
    Everything expires then.

Quote Originally Posted by rotten1
    Everything expires then.
    And starts anew...

...sort of like Titus
    mtbtires.com

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    Do you have first hand experience with them or is this just your uneducated opinion?
    Are you arguing that they're not cheap? Or that they don't have pretty stickers?

Don't be hatin on On One.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

At Work
    Are you arguing that they're not cheap? Or that they don't have pretty stickers?

Don't be hatin on On One.
    I dont know the first thing about them. I was asking you what your experience was.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Looks like PlanetX/OnOne have released a statement regarding their acquisition of Titus...

--

Titus: What Happens Next?

Titus Bikes is alive, if not yet well. Since the acquisition of the Titus brand, trademarks and assets by On-One Bikes on 23 November 2010 we have been working hard to sort out what we have and how to move forward to serve the loyal and future owners of Titus bicycles.

As many of you will be aware, Titus produce some of the finest aluminium and carbon full suspension bikes on the market but frankly at this time the company is a mess. Suppliers have gone unpaid. Component part source documents are incomplete. Warranty claims have been stalled. There are still decisions to be made and problems to be solved, but we are working on it.

These are some of the issues we’re currently attending to:

1: Stevo, On-One's chief designer, is currently in Asia sorting out the pieces sourced from Taiwan and China.
    2: All Titus Bikes product in Tempe Arizona is being shipped to our US partner in Oregon to be checked against the inventory records and assembled into complete frames, ready for sale, as quickly as possible.
    3: We are insuring that we retain and acquire adequate parts for warranty replacement and learning which parts we need (see separate warranty statement).
    4: Former distributors, dealers and employees have been and are being contacted to help fill in the information we need that is not in the records.
    5: A new website is in process, along with transfer of the Titus Bikes domain names and other Internet accounts.
    6: We are having constant discussions of how we will move Titus forward. Nothing in the current product line has been ruled out.
    7: Titus Bikes will continue as a stand-alone brand. We are here for the long haul.

There is a lot of work for us to realize our ambitions so don’t expect any big headlines or re-launches this side of Christmas but we may have a little stock to sell in the mean time, so sign up to the newsletter on the Titus or On-One sites to stay in the loop.

If you have any concerns relating to warranty or support please click here for more information.

If you have a Titus warranty or repair issue please click here

--

Titus Bikes Warranty Statement

The recent ownership change of Titus Bikes has created worries regarding support of replacement parts and warranties. On-One Bikes highly values the many loyal Titus owners worldwide and will support them as much as possible.

How will we do it?

At the moment we are still gathering information on exactly what inventory we have available. Who the Titus suppliers are, what pieces they have in process, and what they can do for us in the future. What the common warranty claims are and how to fix them.

As soon as we can get a handle on what we have to support our Titus riders we will be resolving warranty claims and servicing replacement parts needs.

On-One is striving to be fair to both sides. We want Titus owners to be able to keep using their bikes, and we want Titus Bikes to become a healthy company for the long term. Even though Titus Bikes is now a new company and not legally obligated to honor any warranties, On-One
    wants to do the right thing.

Warranties apply only to the original owner of the frame with proof of purchase. Cost of warranty replacement will not be known until we secure agreements with the Titus suppliers of the component parts. At worst, the owner would be charged our cost for the part. If replacement parts are not available a generous upgrade path will be offered. Warranty length is still in effect from the date of original purchase.

Owners of Titus bikes without warranties will be able to purchase parts at a minimal cost.

All warranty frames and components will be required to be returned to your regional Titus office (there will be one in the USA) at the bike owner's expense.

https://titusbikes.wufoo.com/forms/t...s-and-repairs/
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

Quote Originally Posted by KYjelly
    Looks like PlanetX/OnOne have released a statement regarding their acquisition of Titus...

--

Titus: What Happens Next?

Titus Bikes is alive, if not yet well. Since the acquisition of the Titus brand, trademarks and assets by On-One Bikes on 23 November 2010 we have been working hard to sort out what we have and how to move forward to serve the loyal and future owners of Titus bicycles.

As many of you will be aware, Titus produce some of the finest aluminium and carbon full suspension bikes on the market but frankly at this time the company is a mess. Suppliers have gone unpaid. Component part source documents are incomplete. Warranty claims have been stalled. There are still decisions to be made and problems to be solved, but we are working on it.

These are some of the issues we’re currently attending to:

1: Stevo, On-One's chief designer, is currently in Asia sorting out the pieces sourced from Taiwan and China.
    2: All Titus Bikes product in Tempe Arizona is being shipped to our US partner in Oregon to be checked against the inventory records and assembled into complete frames, ready for sale, as quickly as possible.
    3: We are insuring that we retain and acquire adequate parts for warranty replacement and learning which parts we need (see separate warranty statement).
    4: Former distributors, dealers and employees have been and are being contacted to help fill in the information we need that is not in the records.
    5: A new website is in process, along with transfer of the Titus Bikes domain names and other Internet accounts.
    6: We are having constant discussions of how we will move Titus forward. Nothing in the current product line has been ruled out.
    7: Titus Bikes will continue as a stand-alone brand. We are here for the long haul.

There is a lot of work for us to realize our ambitions so don’t expect any big headlines or re-launches this side of Christmas but we may have a little stock to sell in the mean time, so sign up to the newsletter on the Titus or On-One sites to stay in the loop.

If you have any concerns relating to warranty or support please click here for more information.

--

Titus Bikes Warranty Statement

The recent ownership change of Titus Bikes has created worries regarding support of replacement parts and warranties. On-One Bikes highly values the many loyal Titus owners worldwide and will support them as much as possible.

How will we do it?

At the moment we are still gathering information on exactly what inventory we have available. Who the Titus suppliers are, what pieces they have in process, and what they can do for us in the future. What the common warranty claims are and how to fix them.

As soon as we can get a handle on what we have to support our Titus riders we will be resolving warranty claims and servicing replacement parts needs.

On-One is striving to be fair to both sides. We want Titus owners to be able to keep using their bikes, and we want Titus Bikes to become a healthy company for the long term. Even though Titus Bikes is now a new company and not legally obligated to honor any warranties, On-One
    wants to do the right thing.

Warranties apply only to the original owner of the frame with proof of purchase. Cost of warranty replacement will not be known until we secure agreements with the Titus suppliers of the component parts. At worst, the owner would be charged our cost for the part. If replacement parts are not available a generous upgrade path will be offered. Warranty length is still in effect from the date of original purchase.

Owners of Titus bikes without warranties will be able to purchase parts at a minimal cost.

All warranty frames and components will be required to be returned to your regional Titus office (there will be one in the USA) at the bike owner's expense.

https://titusbikes.wufoo.com/forms/t...s-and-repairs/
    Yes, I posted that here first, 5 days ago. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=670304

The Titus web site went back up a day or two later then we were able to post the update there.

The truckload of old stock was scheduled to arrive in Oregon today.
    mtbtires.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Yes, I posted that here first, 5 days ago. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=670304

The Titus web site went back up a day or two later then we were able to post the update there.

The truckload of old stock was scheduled to arrive in Oregon today.
    You mean I wasnt first? Damnit.. I didnt win.
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

You mean I wasnt first? Damnit.. I didnt win.
    Well, I did write the press releases.
    mtbtires.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Well, I did write the press releases.
    Trumped again!

Hey, anything is better than the complete lack of comms from Titus in the past few months.
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Adding on to Shiggy's comments about On One. They're a great company and I've been riding their frames for years. I've ridden a few steel Inbreds on some of the roughest trails around Albuquerque and NM for years and they're great.

I also have some of the 26er and 29er Scandals and they're top quality and almost 1/2 the price of other scandium frames like the Air9, etc... As for innovation, On One has a carbon AM hardtail frame that's XC light, but can handle up to a 6" fork and AM/FR riding. They also have some nice ti stuff too.

www.unrealcycles.com is the current US distributor of On One and they have a decent inventory of the steel and scandium frames.
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Anyone heard anything back on any warranties? I got an email from "Ben" at Titus saying he was going to send me off a new swingarm for the Rockstar, but havent heard anything since. No replies to emails, no packages...
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

Anyone heard anything back on any warranties? I got an email from "Ben" at Titus saying he was going to send me off a new swingarm for the Rockstar, but havent heard anything since. No replies to emails, no packages...
    Ben told me he was starting the contacts on Monday (tomorrow).

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=16
    mtbtires.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Ahhh, good lads. Waiting in baited anticipation

The poor Ti frame is looking sad sitting up in the jig in peices..
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

The Cheater
    In any case, it seems that all is not lost with Titus, it's actually better than prior to being bought as there should be improvement in quality and customer service.

mtbr Decade+
    I'm not trying to be a troll, but I think being bought buy another bike company is a lot better than being bought by Dorel! It just seems more cosmically correct.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    ...is a lot better than being bought by Dorel!
    Hey watch it troll!!! I own a Cannondale Rush too....
    Dug-Da-Goat

At Work
    Hey watch it troll!!! I own a Cannondale Rush too....
    I am sorry!
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    I am sorry!
    Sorry I own a Rush? Unless you've ridden one, I'd hardly feel sorry for me! It's a great bike and one of the few you can build up as a full 650b with plenty of clearence.

Dale's got good stuff... now whether Dorel is a positive influence remains to be seen. Seems they have given Cannondale a lot of flexibility by creating the IBS Group.

I think people bash Dorel because of the Pacific Bike thing and the focus of that group on the "Mass Merchant Market" (Wallyworld, Perfomance, etc).

I guess if they can make good money on Mongoose, Schwinn and GT, then put investments into Dale creating new technology, I'm all for it. Simon is pretty close to being ready, and believe me when I say that will change a lot of things when it comes to fork technology.

As for Titus and On-One... I hope the same level of synergy can be developed.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr Decade+
    I was thinking, initially, that being bought by a bike company is better. However, I'm sure Dorel's deep pockets have benefits. It takes money to make money. I remember reading recently that Santa Cruz had extended itself a few years back with debt and had trouble in the years following...avoiding that debt is nice.

Hopefully, Planet-X's coffers are deep and they can keep a high end line going...

Someone's obviously signing Shiggy's cheques. Remember, they're from Britain now.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

At Work
    Sorry I own a Rush? Unless you've ridden one, I'd hardly feel sorry for me! It's a great bike and one of the few you can build up as a full 650b with plenty of clearence.

Dale's got good stuff... now whether Dorel is a positive influence remains to be seen. Seems they have given Cannondale a lot of flexibility by creating the IBS Group.

I think people bash Dorel because of the Pacific Bike thing and the focus of that group on the "Mass Merchant Market" (Wallyworld, Perfomance, etc).

I guess if they can make good money on Mongoose, Schwinn and GT, then put investments into Dale creating new technology, I'm all for it. Simon is pretty close to being ready, and believe me when I say that will change a lot of things when it comes to fork technology.

As for Titus and On-One... I hope the same level of synergy can be developed.
    left out the " " Was just messing with you.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Short-Change-Hero
    Hey Shiggy... any chance we can get this forum renamed to Titus/On-One. Us poor On-One owners have no where to post but the 29er/relevant items forums!!!

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Hey Shiggy... any chance we can get this forum renamed to Titus/On-One. Us poor On-One owners have no where to post but the 29er/relevant items forums!!!
    Better yet... how 'bout Planet-X(Titus/On-One)... cover all the bases!
    Dug-Da-Goat

I would rather have a separate On-One forum.

DaGoat, Planet X is (mostly) the pavement brand, and US distributor is an independent company.
    mtbtires.com

High Alpine Adventure
    Got it! Yeah, why not a dedicated On-One Forum!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Got it! Yeah, why not a dedicated On-One Forum!
    It is not up to me. Requests from forum members have more pull than from the bike companies.
    mtbtires.com

At Work
    Sorry, Do not care to read about a different bike company in the titus forum.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

High Alpine Adventure
    It is not up to me. Requests from forum members have more pull than from the bike companies.
    Who you kindin'.... We know you got pull.... like how long you been around here? Oh ya, 1998!!!

You da Shizzle... oh sorry, that's another guy!

And I second SRX.... let's have second On-One forum for those gorgeous Ti HT's!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Short-Change-Hero
    So who do we request to have an On-One forum started?

So who do we request to have an On-One forum started?
    gregg and francois (contact info here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showgroups.php)

And post a request on the site feedback board.
    mtbtires.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Just got an email to say that my warranty carbon rear stay has been sent.. how exciting!
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Just got an email to say that my warranty carbon rear stay has been sent.. how exciting!
    That is great news. It is good to see how these guys are dealing with Titus' customers.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    That is great news. It is good to see how these guys are dealing with Titus' customers.
    Absolutely! Its awesome to see such a cool bunch of people look after the integrity of the brand.

I see good things in their future.
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

Short-Change-Hero
    Just got a response back from Gregg and I have started a Poll to create an On-One specific forum.

Members who have read this thread: 0