most scenic?
    most aggressive?
    most technical?
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

mtbr member
    Cameron Park, Waco,Tx
    Tyler State Park, Tyler, Tx
    ...best I have ridden anyway...in Texas...

Rohloff
    That's a very difficult question. I don't have a favorite trail. I have heard a number of people say that Flat Rock Ranch was their favorite in Texas. It is a great place to ride but I can't say I like it better than some others. Here's some of my favorites:

Flat Rock Ranch
    Pace Bend
    Madrone
    Reimers Ranch
    Lajitas Airport Loop
    Rocky Hill Ranch

Scenic: Pace Bend, Flat Rock, Lajitas

Technical: Emma Long

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd put Palo Duro as most scenic. I'm creeping up on being too old for technical and aggressive. Hook up with some PD locals and they can get you to aggro/tech stuff.
    Seeking a 90's or 00s 80mm 26" suspension fork.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    Palo Duro would be great to go ride at. Wish it was a hair closer to me though.
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

Ride On!!
    remember el paso is the part of texas with mountains!, you kinda need those for "mountain"biking.....el paso should be on that list also i think

mtbr member
    deja vu
    Pedigre

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler10812
    remember el paso is the part of texas with mountains!, you kinda need those for "mountain"biking.....el paso should be on that list also i think
    So give us the low down. What are the best cross country, all mountain, and downhill trails in the El Paso area?

mtbr member
    I want to get a day ride sometime this month or next out to Rocky Hill Ranch. Seems like a trail that can take up most of the day.

Pedigre....Great site you have there and I will check out some other trails.
    >>>>>>>>JAMIS<<<<<<<<

www.thetexasoutdoors.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree with Heckler, El Paso has "mountain" bike riding not hill riding. Franklin Mountain State Park has much sustained up-hill granny gear riding. Try Mundy Pass all the way to the top of the Franklins...it turns into hike-a-bike at the top unless you are really fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are no bad trails in texas, every trail has its own personality.

That being said, palo duro was probably my favorite, and BCGB is my most regular.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    There are no bad trails in texas, every trail has its own personality.
    very true, very true
    Last edited by Pedigre; 05-10-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Pedigre

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I agree--Palo Duro the most scenic from the trail
    Lajitas/Terlingua is the most scenic area.

My gosh it is hard to give a favorite: RockyHill, Solavaca, Muleshoe, Warda, Walnut Creek, Tyler, Reimers--even Slaughter Creek --love em all

Flat Rock, Bar H, Pacebend, the Greenbelt, and some trails near a lake not that far from BarH and some others I've only ridden a few times. Well the greenbelt maybe 12 times and while I love Austin, I dont love that trail.

Over the years I've ridden BLORA and Dana Peak the most--they're both within 10 miles from the house and while some people really dont like em, I love em.

mtbr member
    srwhouston and Blake00gt > you two have been quiet lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Blake00gt
    Pedigre....Great site you have there and I will check out some other trails.
    Thanks...just make sure they aren't wet...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=590885
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just finally went out and rode somewhere other than Houston and surrounding areas. I'll definately be venturing outside of here from now on. Rode Armstrongs ranch and although I had my worst crash(fkn rocks at high speed) I have never had more fun on a bike.

mtbr member
    hahaha...we both have "grown" up since that thread was made. We have met some awesome people on the trails since then and have taken steps to make the trails better, for everyone. The weather has been quit nice and dry the few weeks which is a plus and on top of that, the dry weather makes the trails super fast!!!!!!!!
    >>>>>>>>JAMIS<<<<<<<<

www.thetexasoutdoors.com

Code Burr
    Dino Valley, by far the best i've ridden in or around Texas. Tyler, Cleburne, Bar H, and Isle Du Bois are also good in their own way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    El Paso trails -

Most epic - Mundy's>upper sunset>Hitt Canyon>Sotol Forest (25 miles 2 big climbs)

Most gnar gnar - Brujo's Garden.....the alter top to bottom

Most flow - Mad Cow

Most frustrating - Little Moab

Best lunch ride - Ana's Trail
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

Official Profile
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    srwhouston and Blake00gt > you two have been quiet lately...

Thanks...just make sure they aren't wet...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=590885
    Oh not that thread again...

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake00gt
    hahaha...we both have "grown" up since that thread was made. We have met some awesome people on the trails since then and have taken steps to make the trails better, for everyone. The weather has been quit nice and dry the few weeks which is a plus and on top of that, the dry weather makes the trails super fast!!!!!!!!

Im never growing up Nice rain tonight, ready to hit the trails? lol
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cameron Park - Waco, TX - tons o' climbing and overall trail conditions

Government Canyon State Park - San Antonio, TX - amazing facilities, trails offer variety

Walnut Creek - Austin, TX - Freakin' Fast and Fun as Heck - Tons of birms and well-maintained.

Reimers Ranch - Austin, TX - cooling off in the Pedernales (when there's water) and overall feel and variety.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Gov. Canyon is one of my favorites though after all of the recent rain,
    it has turned into a super techy trail system because there was a TON
    of dirt washed off of the trails! I live 4 miles from it, so I ride it weekly.

I LOVE Rocky Hill Ranch but hate having to re-build the bike after every trip there
    (the decomposed granite is hell on bearings and bottom brackets!) It is a cool place to camp and the ride is awesome too!

Bluff creek ranch is a great time, but too far of a drive for the short track. When it rains, it is a BRUTAL ride (the race in February required a complete re-build after!)

Flat rock is a GREAT ride and worth the drive because you can do the "upper" loop in the a.m., have lunch, and tackle the "lower" loop in the afternoon. There are some great climbs and the downs are worth the ups!

I havent ventured too much further than that, but will hit up reimers ranch soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Anymore in san Antonio ? I'm heading there in few months wondering what to bike take road ,hardtail or F.S. Was hopefully going get some miles in !
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curl
    Anymore in san Antonio ? I'm heading there in few months wondering what to bike take road ,hardtail or F.S. Was hopefully going get some miles in !
    Cheers
    Really depends on your level as a rider. Some, like McAllister and Olmos Park are very beginner-friendly or fast for the non-beginner. HT would work at either of those. Gov't Canyon, Salado Creek and such, on the other hand would be better suited for a FS.

Hmm...that gives me an idea...
    Pedigre

Rohloff
    Cheers
    Flat Rock Ranch is a little drive out of town but well worth it. A hardtail or full suspension bike will work. I've done both and much prefer suspension, but that's probably true for most trails with me.

mtbr member
    Cheers
    oh yeah, are you visiting or staying?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Visiting from the UK. My girlfriends from there so wanna scout out the riding, while she catches up with her family. So I'll have plenty of time for riding. I mostly ride F.S bike 5" travel over here. What you think guys ? cheers for replys BTW
    James

Rohloff
    Visiting from the UK. My girlfriends from there so wanna scout out the riding, while she catches up with her family. So I'll have plenty of time for riding. I mostly ride F.S bike 5" travel over here. What you think guys ? cheers for replys BTW
    James
    Some ride most of the trails around here with rigid single speed bikes. As for me, I prefer gears and suspension. I ride a 4" travel 29er. I would think your 5" travel bike would be fine.

mtbr member
    James
    Where will you be in TX?
    Pedigre

Ride On!!
    i agree that the hit canyon loop around the mountain is toughest 25 miles in texas. El Paso rocks for mtb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I enjoy most rides I do and don't really have a favorite of anything but here are some that stand out for me and why.

North Shore and Rowlett Creek Preserve (Dallas Area) - because those are the last two trails I rode. They are fast and twisty with some random technical sections to add to the fun, and you travel some good distances.

Walnut Creek and BCGB (Austin) - because both a relatively close to my house so they are the ones I ride most often, although not BCGB as much anymore.

Reimer's and Madrone Trail (Hill Country) - for the mix of smooth single track, rocky terrain, climbing, descending, sun and shade, and a body of water to cool off in afterward.

City Park/Emma Long (Austin) for the technical challenge.

Cameron Park (Waco) - It's been a while but I remember having a lot of fun there
    I've ridden others, these just stand out the most. I have yet to ride Government Canyon and Palo Duro. I hope to sometime this summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    if any of you guys are gonna ride gov. canyon, we ride almost every sunday morning at 8 (we can beat the heat, get in a good ride, and still have almost the whole day with the family!). just look for the silver cr-v or the maroon subaru wagon.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    I am looking forward to riding there!
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

mtbr member
    BLORA deserves a mention. Great marked trails for the soldiers, a lake to swim, then ride back to the car with outdoor showers to cool you off afterwords. Bada Bing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Roughrider Canyon is most tech !! Hello... And the Hit canyon loop for most epic... Those guys are nutz.. i like to carry up... Shuttle even better.. El Paso has the best "mountain biking" not hill biking.... lol

Emperor of Endos
    Jul 2010
    Emma Long and Walnut Creek- Austin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1
    BLORA deserves a mention. Great marked trails for the soldiers, a lake to swim, then ride back to the car with outdoor showers to cool you off afterwords. Bada Bing.
    Bah, soldiers deserve better
    Pedigre

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    bamwa--I agree. BLORA, when the trail is dry, is as good as they come. 'cept the end. our medic resident dun like the end ya know wit d litttle climb and all, and prolly not all the rocks in the minefiled through sidewinder trails either for that matter.

not that i fond of the last mile either

Members who have read this thread: 0