Xterra - Anyone- Mtbr.com

Thread: Xterra - Anyone

mathlete
    Nov 2007

Xterra - Anyone

Anyone racing any of the upcoming Xterra off-road Tri series? I can't get any of my MTB friends to swim or run - takes time away from riding they say .

I've signed up for Xterra Austin but may sign up for Camp Eagle as well.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    I am doing my first tri next month. Tell me more about these!!!
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    Oh man! where to start...everything you love about MTB plus two more super fun and challenging segments - an open water swim and a trail run.

In the Xterra events, the bike portion is anywhere between 14-20 miles or so. Depending on the course, it can be somewhat technical with a couple of hike a bike sections. The super studs can probably clean these but I have yet to ride the bike portion w/o walking up hill at least once.

In my experience, the run portion is CRAZY. These are not leasurely or tame running trails.

There are several events in the Texas Xterra series this year. There's one in Waco (Cameron Park) this coming weekend. If you riden Cameron Park you know you are in for your fair share of technical climbing. Camp Eagle and Emma Long are scheduled in August.

Check out the race promoter site at racerevolutions.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am racing in the XTERRA Deuces Wild Triathlon in Show Low, Arizona next month. This will be my first Tri. I have been training for the swim and run for the last two months and Iím not concerned. I swam in high school and run occasionally for fun now.

I'm excited and hopefully I will do more triathlons in the future.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    I am wanting this!! This is where I want to be in Tri's. I am doing a sprint June 27th. I am training for that now. But I really want to ride/race off road type events. Whats the distance on the open water swim? Thats where I am having most of my trouble.

Man this sounds fun. Whats the entry?
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was really hoping to do the August tri @ Emma Long, but injured my hip and was off the bike for 5 weeks (and no running/swimming during that period). With 3 months left, I don't think I could train enough to do it.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    how much experience do you guys have with this type tri? I would like to pick your brain
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by srwhouston
    how much experience do you guys have with this type tri? I would like to pick your brain
    Pick it openly, as I don't have any experience either.

One day at a time......

I have raced sprints in the past...

The offroad tri is a blast! I have primarily done "traditional" tris, so they are a little different. They are not as popular (less racers), but the advantages are great. First, the offroad course for riding is usually not too tough, just a few rough spots, some dismounting areas, etc.
    Also, the courses are not as "dull" as road courses. They are almost always an open water swim, as opposed to others that may use a pool.

Another difference lies in the rail running. This can be significantly more difficult, depending on where they are. Overall, the off road tri may be more difficult, resulting in a shorter course.

Try one out. You'll get hooked!
    "It's all about personal integrity, hope, and a really great beer."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by magsdad
    The offroad tri is a blast! I have primarily done "traditional" tris, so they are a little different. They are not as popular (less racers), but the advantages are great. First, the offroad course for riding is usually not too tough, just a few rough spots, some dismounting areas, etc.
    Also, the courses are not as "dull" as road courses. They are almost always an open water swim, as opposed to others that may use a pool.

Another difference lies in the rail running. This can be significantly more difficult, depending on where they are. Overall, the off road tri may be more difficult, resulting in a shorter course.

Try one out. You'll get hooked!
    Thanks!

The one here in Austin is @ City Park - doesn't quite fall into the "not too tough" ride. The mileage:
    1000m open water swim
    14mi Bike
    7mi trail run

One day at a time......

That looks good...

I know for me, the swim is always a problem, as I am just not a very good swimmer. Those distances are pretty common. If you look closely, you can find shorter ones to "warm up" on.

Just like other tri's, you will also see a lot of people who are there for a good time. Do it for the experience. Good luck!
    "It's all about personal integrity, hope, and a really great beer."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by magsdad
    I know for me, the swim is always a problem, as I am just not a very good swimmer. Those distances are pretty common. If you look closely, you can find shorter ones to "warm up" on.

Just like other tri's, you will also see a lot of people who are there for a good time. Do it for the experience. Good luck!
    You are entirely right -that is about standard. Last year, they offered a half-course, which I think would have been more up my alley.

But after that hip injury and being down for month, my progress is almost nil.

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    I just want to finish and have fun. No competition for me. Just personal satisfaction.

I am looking forward to getting my first one out of the way this month so I can start trying out the Xterra events.
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

Members who have read this thread: 0