would you ride it to school?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

would you ride it to school?

Ok, I plan on attending UT in austin next semester, or Texas State. I am probably going to buy a Kula or a Caldera, either way paying probably around 800-900 bucks (used kula). Should I even attempt to ride this to school everyday? I was thinking that I'd bring two heavy duty U-locks to lock it up each day (I know that is extreme but i will NOT mind the extra weight for the added security). I would lock one through the front wheel, frame and the bike holder, and the second through the rear wheel and frame. Would that work or am I still taking too big of a risk? I would NEVER leave it there at night, never even pretty much have it out of my sight once it gets dark, but for during the day classes would it be okay with that lock set up? sorry for the super long post I am just really concerned

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    I would think it would probably be OK. I went to A&M and alot of bikes do get stolen but I think they are mainly ones who do not lock them up good. I knew guys who locked front wheel to frame and stand and then rear wheel to frame and never lost their bikes. Another think, if you have a nice seatpost and saddle, take it out and carry it in to class with you. If your ride gets stolen though, it ain't my fault!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    haha man I wouldn't blame you, but just wondering, have you ever experienced the bike scene in Austin or San Marcos, I'm not trying to be rude but I just wanna know if any of them have had bad/good experiences with this

Feb 2006
    No way would I do it in Austin. San Marcos, maybe (since it's a smaller town and campus), but I have no experience there.

mtbr member
    Be it that UT/A has over 50k people on campus I wouldnt put anything past anyone. But if someone wants something bad enough they are going to get it. Your idea is good though. I guess if anything that would be a good deterrent.

mtbr member
    I'd invest in a $50 'theft resistant' commuter and save your good bike for the trail. Because bicycling is so big here in Austin, so are the theft rates.

Ian........out by The Salt Lick

mtbr member
    I wouldn't recommend it..

I use to play in bands and we would go around campus and the drag putting up flyers..
    I saw lots of bikes locked up missing a seatpost/saddle, a rear wheel
    beat up, vandalized

no way..
    get a POS bike for commuting around campus

actually..
    now that I rethink it..
    come see us, by a NICE bike from us, get good insurance...
    come see us again
    and again

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    Ok, I plan on attending UT in austin next semester, or Texas State. I am probably going to buy a Kula or a Caldera, either way paying probably around 800-900 bucks (used kula). Should I even attempt to ride this to school everyday? I was thinking that I'd bring two heavy duty U-locks to lock it up each day (I know that is extreme but i will NOT mind the extra weight for the added security). I would lock one through the front wheel, frame and the bike holder, and the second through the rear wheel and frame. Would that work or am I still taking too big of a risk? I would NEVER leave it there at night, never even pretty much have it out of my sight once it gets dark, but for during the day classes would it be okay with that lock set up? sorry for the super long post I am just really concerned
    I think it will be fine but as a precaution remove the stickers that reference what kind of bike it is and replace them with "HUFFY" stickers. If you can't find them on the internet you may be able to have them made. Many of the places that tint windows may have a machine that also cuts out letters for stickers. If it looks like a walmart bike or a POS bike no one will bother it. Or you can put all kinds of junk all over it like random stickers, or whatever to make it one ugly ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks guys, my decision is made up. I'm definately not riding this bike to school.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I commuted on my Trek 7000 and Truth for three years and and never once had it stolen ar vandalized, etc. My bikes were my life line since I didn't have a car and it was my favorite way to pass the time. While I did not attend UT, I did go to ACC so a lot of people could of had access to my bike.

I think the most important thing is to use common sense and be conscious of where you lock your bike up. You are definitely right in not leaving it somewhere overnight, that is a sure fire way to get it stolen. Keep your bike parked around other bikes, there is strengeth in numbers.

Someone above mentioned locking the bike around the frame and through the front wheel, that is exactly what I do and it works great. Be sure and get a longer U-lock that makes it a lot easier to do that.

If you are really concerned about your wheels getting lifted buy some locking wheel skewers. They are really east to use and hard as hell to break into, so I have read.

Good luck,
    J

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    UT, don't do it.

Texas State, you should be fine.

I have been commuting on campus as Texas state for over 3 years now, never had my bike stolen or vandalized. I even run a QR seatpost and haven't had any problems, but I would still recommend a bolt on collar.

I see a ton of nice bikes parked on campus. Last I heard from the UPD, about 4-5 bikes are stolen on campus each week. Mountain bikes are the primary target. That is a much lower theft rate than at UT. Personally, I would be apprehensive about leaving an expensive bike on campus. I definately would recomment getting a cheap beater bike.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    actually..
    now that I rethink it..
    come see us, by a NICE bike from us, get good insurance...
    come see us again
    and again

Satan strikes again.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0