Will be in the Ft Hood area this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Will be in the Ft Hood area this weekend

I have a buddy coming back from Afghanistan this week and the family will be throwing him a party this weekend. I will be in Heights Friday night and want to hit either Dana Peak or BLORA Sat morning. Which of the two would be a better ride? If there is something else in the area thats better that would be an option as well.

Thank you in advance
    John
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    Nothing else is in the immediate area, and as for which is best, I can't speak for Dana Peak. ArmySlowRdr is the resident expert there, so hopefully he'll chime in or you can ask him directly.
    Pedigre

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

depends

It really depends on your preferences.

If you like a more technical trail (more twists, more rocks, more hills) BLORA is your place. I think the fee to ride for non-military is 3$.

If you like a farly flowy ride with not too many rocks and mainly flat, Dana Peak is your place. And is on the Stillhouse Lake side of Harker heights toward the end of Comanche Gap Rd. Free to ride.

I'd show ya'all around but I will likely be down in Dripping Springs/Johnson City area for the race at Lance's Ranch (spring finale).

Either place will be fun (all except the series of climbs at the near end of the BLORA loop).

Quote Originally Posted by j944
    I have a buddy coming back from Afghanistan this week and the family will be throwing him a party this weekend. I will be in Heights Friday night and want to hit either Dana Peak or BLORA Sat morning. Which of the two would be a better ride? If there is something else in the area thats better that would be an option as well.

Thank you in advance
    John

mtbr member
    Thank you Army. I had every intension on heading to Dripping Springs until I heard about my friend coming back this week.
    Since you all are only about two hours away I would make another trip down.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    It really depends on your preferences.

If you like a more technical trail (more twists, more rocks, more hills) BLORA is your place. I think the fee to ride for non-military is 3$.

If you like a farly flowy ride with not too many rocks and mainly flat, Dana Peak is your place. And is on the Stillhouse Lake side of Harker heights toward the end of Comanche Gap Rd. Free to ride.

I'd show ya'all around but I will likely be down in Dripping Springs/Johnson City area for the race at Lance's Ranch (spring finale).

Either place will be fun (all except the series of climbs at the near end of the BLORA loop).
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member

I second that "except"
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Have you all had any rain down there for the past couple days? Its rained up here and closed some trails. Just trying to get a heads up if I need to bring my MTB or make alt plans.

Gracias
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    0.12 in today at the house in south killeen. with the temps mid to upper 90s it affected nada.

Have you all had any rain down there for the past couple days? Its rained up here and closed some trails. Just trying to get a heads up if I need to bring my MTB or make alt plans.

Gracias

mtbr member
    0.12 in today at the house in south killeen. with the temps mid to upper 90s it affected nada.

Thanks, I had a blast at Dana Peak. Rode yesterday and this morning. Very scenic and flows pretty good. Went into Killeen and stopped at a bike shop. Sun & something yesterday and was surprised with what little selecton was available.
    Will need to make another trip down and hit up BLORA.
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

sun country

Glad you had a good ride at Dana Peak.

Sun Country is the name of the shop. They have two locations. The "main" location is on M Avenue in Temple and has a much, much larger selection. It has expanded in the not too distant past and is a great shop.

Thanks, I had a blast at Dana Peak. Rode yesterday and this morning. Very scenic and flows pretty good. Went into Killeen and stopped at a bike shop. Sun & something yesterday and was surprised with what little selecton was available.
    Will need to make another trip down and hit up BLORA.

Members who have read this thread: 0