Who's going to Ruston, LA this weekend?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who's going to Ruston, LA this weekend?

I know that it's in Louisiana, but it's part of the TMBRA fall sereis, so I'm posting the question here. Why do they have a race way over there anyway? There are TONS of great trails in the central Texas region that would make much more sense for most racers. Meaning, it'd be much easier to participate in a Texas race series where all the races ACTUALLY take place in Texas.

Anyway, the wife and I are going. I'm definately racing (Beginner 19-29) and she might try her first race ever too (Beginner 30-39). We will be leaving Austin tonight and getting as many miles in as possible before finding a hotel. Then the drive on Sat morning will be short. Set up the tent, go for a pre-ride, stuff outselves at the Spaghetti dinner, and sleeeeep in preparation of the early Beginner class start.

Anyone have any info on the race course besides the map? Terrain? Hills? Muddy, sandy, rocky, rooty? Tight singletrack, or wide open?

See you folks there.

Ian

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by hallin222
    Why do they have a race way over there anyway?

Anyone have any info on the race course besides the map? Terrain? Hills? Muddy, sandy, rocky, rooty? Tight singletrack, or wide open?
    It is an awesome venue. The park and camping facilities are beautiful. The course is some sweet singletrack. Very spectator friendly.

Some elevation change, but no major climbs. For the most part it is hardpack singletrack. There is a couple of rooty and/or rocky sections, but not much. There is much room for passing in most of the singletrack, and if not there are many opportunites to pass.

Go for air on Tomac!

Good luck, have fun. Unfortuately (for me) I cannot make it this year. I have been the last 5 years. It is a 9hr trip from SA, and it is worth the drive. If you have a chance, stop at Tyler State Park on the way back.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    don't forget to nail the ski jump and rail teh berm as you land it....

mtbr member
    You guys were right. That trail was awesome!

I did OK, and finished 4th of 11 in my class (Beginner Men 19-29). I had a decent start and was 4th into the singletrack and hung with the top 3 guys for a couple of miles, then clipped a tree and went down hard. I got passed by 3 riders while trying to put my chain back on, putting me in 7th place. I caught 6th and 5th pretty quickly, but stuggled to catch the 4th place guy for the remainder of the race. I'd gain some ground through the technical stuff and the short climbs or switchbacks, but anytime the trail opened up, he was GONE on that 29'er softail Salsa.

I really closed the gap around mile 9(?) when I pedalled hard down that long grassy downhill with the lip at the bottom near the water. I almost ate it when I tried to pump over that lip while going WAY to fast. I caught air (despite my efforts not to) and got a little nose heavy on the landing . I saved it, hung on his rear wheel for another 1/2 mile, and finally made a last sprint to pass in the long open slight uphill before the last left toward the Finish area.

I felt pretty ill after then race, and have a bit of a cough today. My right side is scraped and bruised from that crash, so I'm not in the best of shape right now, but DAMN is this stuff fun! I can't wait to do it again in Huntsville in 3 weeks!

Ian

Got Mojo?
    You guys were right. That trail was awesome!
    it is definitely worth the drive. Fun stuff.

I really closed the gap around mile 9(?) when I pedalled hard down that long grassy downhill with the lip at the bottom near the water. I almost ate it when I tried to pump over that lip while going WAY to fast. I caught air (despite my efforts not to) and got a little nose heavy on the landing . I saved it, hung on his rear wheel for another 1/2 mile, and finally made a last sprint to pass in the long open slight uphill before the last left toward the Finish area.
    hehehe, it is not hard to get going way too fast on that downhill section before the little kicker. There is usually a crash there. You know something is up when you see the people 'congragating' there....

Good wright up and congrats on your finish. Going back next year?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    don't forget to nail the ski jump and rail teh berm as you land it....

like this?

more photos at CommieBike
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    like this?
    Although it felt like I was in that kind of shape, it probably wasn't anywhere near that bad. Was that taken last weekend? At the long grassy downhill, or Tomac Hill? They both had those little lips like that.

For others interested in more pics, check the link at go to the Piney Hills pages.
    http://www.commiebike.com/

I was #606 and can be seen in the back of one of those pictures taken just after the Beginner 19-29 start.

*EDIT* Sorry, I didn't see that you had already linked the phots page. It was easy to miss under that crazy photo!
    Last edited by hallin222; 10-17-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Got Mojo?

*EDIT* Sorry, I didn't see that you had already linked the phots page. It was easy to miss under that crazy photo!

more....

http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?s...od&group_id=32
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Like I said above, this was me trying to pump and roll over this lip going WAY too fast. I didn't know anybody took my picture, but I knew I felt nose heavy.

I caught and passed that Mad Duck rider in the next 1/4 mile or so.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...74&image_id=14

Ian
    Team NRC/Pedalmasher (my XL race kit has not yet arrived)

Got Mojo?
    Like I said above, this was me trying to pump and roll over this lip going WAY too fast. I didn't know anybody took my picture, but I knew I felt nose heavy.
    hehe

I have had the same experience on that section. It is way too fast for me to roll well.

If someone had the cajones, I bet they could jump the moon on that.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0